MulitTerm: Looking for simple instructions on creating bilingual termbase with definitions
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:05
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2003

Hello,

I want to create my own Multiterm database of words that I frequently look up, with terms in German (and if necessary, a definition of that term) and their English translation (and definitions, if necessary).

I\'ve tried on several times to use the help provided by Trados, but I don\'t find it very clear and I don\'t have time to sit down and fiddle around with it for hours.

I have created a new termbase with German and Engli
... See more
Hello,

I want to create my own Multiterm database of words that I frequently look up, with terms in German (and if necessary, a definition of that term) and their English translation (and definitions, if necessary).

I\'ve tried on several times to use the help provided by Trados, but I don\'t find it very clear and I don\'t have time to sit down and fiddle around with it for hours.

I have created a new termbase with German and English fields. I\'ve already added some new entries, but I can\'t link the English translation to the original German terms that I have entered. I\'ve looked on the Internet and found guides such as http://www.hum.port.ac.uk/slas/online/trados1.htm, but again they only explain how to enter one term and provide a definition of that term. what I want to do is, for example, define \"Rechner\" in German and provide a definition in German, and then provide the translation as \"computer\" with a definition in English.

Does anyone have an idiot\'s guide to this, and wouldn\'t mind sharing it?

Thanks very much for any help. I\'ve already spent much too much time trying to sort this out, and I\'m sure it\'s easy once you know how.

Thanks again,

Joanne
Collapse

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:05
English to German
+ ...
Which version of MultiTerm Feb 6, 2003

do you use?

Emanuel Bod
Emanuel Bod  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
English to Romanian
+ ...
Adding entries to a MultiTerm glossary Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 18:03, parker wrote:

Hello,

I have created a new termbase with German and English fields. I\'ve already added some new entries, but I can\'t link the English tran... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-06 18:03, parker wrote:

Hello,

I have created a new termbase with German and English fields. I\'ve already added some new entries, but I can\'t link the English translation to the original German terms that I have entered.

Thanks again,

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Entering terms with definitions in both languages in MultiTerm is very easy.

I think your mistake was that you created separate German and English entries.

You have to insert the two language versions in the same entry. Step by step instructions below:

1. Edit menu > Add entry F3

2. Left mouse click > a pop up menu will appear > Choose Insert index field > From the pop up window choose German > Type your German term and OK

3. Left mouse click > a pop up menu will appear > Choose Insert text field > Choose Definition from the pop up window > Type your German definition and click OK

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 only choose English this time for the term (for the definition you don\'t have to choose a language, you will type in what language you want)

5. Click the save button at the top of the MultiTerm window

And now you have a bilingual entry with definitions which can be indexed and searched either in German or in English.

That\'s all there is to it. Repeat the procedure for each new entry. It is useful if you learn the keyboard shortcuts for all these commands as they will save you time when inputting many entries.

Good luck!

Collapse

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5.5 Feb 6, 2003

Sorry, should have mentioned that

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've done some (more) research Feb 6, 2003

and have downloaded the Trados tutorials. I think this is what I\'m looking for. The link is:

http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=12

Emanuel, thanks very much for your help. That\'s exactly what I was looking for. The tutorials above are very good, but a bit tedious - this is exactly what I needed.

Thanks again,
... See more
and have downloaded the Trados tutorials. I think this is what I\'m looking for. The link is:

http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=12

Emanuel, thanks very much for your help. That\'s exactly what I was looking for. The tutorials above are very good, but a bit tedious - this is exactly what I needed.

Thanks again,

Joanne

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 23:24]
Collapse

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
Easy when you know how! Feb 7, 2003

Hi Joanne,

Just so that you don\'t feel like you\'re the only frustrated Trados user, I can tell you I had my fair share of confusion and frustration when trying to make sense of the Trados manuals. So much so that I completely abondoned Trados for months until I got enough money together to take the 3 day course - and a very worthwhile investment it proved to be, I certainly got my money\'s worth as there was not one stone I left unturned (although having said that I have
... See more
Hi Joanne,

Just so that you don\'t feel like you\'re the only frustrated Trados user, I can tell you I had my fair share of confusion and frustration when trying to make sense of the Trados manuals. So much so that I completely abondoned Trados for months until I got enough money together to take the 3 day course - and a very worthwhile investment it proved to be, I certainly got my money\'s worth as there was not one stone I left unturned (although having said that I have just posted a new question in this very Forum if anyone has any suggestions! ). Anyway, my point is that yes, I too found the manuals quite confusing!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MulitTerm: Looking for simple instructions on creating bilingual termbase with definitions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »