Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 1, 2007

G'day everyone

István Lengyel recently asked me here:
http://www.proz.com/post/670417#670417
about Pootle:

Is there, by any chance, some demo installation of Pootle around? I'd really like to have a look. It's amazing what open source fans can do.

Here is a short description of Pootle, then.

==

What is Pootle?

Pootle is a web-based translation management system. Pootle is meant to run off a web server, but you can install it on your desktop computer too (I installed it on MS Windows and I run it as root user... which you would never do on the server installation).

Pootle is ideally suited for volunteer translation of software, and the feature set testifies to this -- for example, a project management can set "goals" and assign translators to that goal, but the goal does not consist of a deadline -- it consists of a set of files that must be translated. Deadlines are dealt with in a separate medium, not in Pootle itself.

It was initially inteded for use at so-called translatathons -- where many volunteers get together in a big room with many networked computers and work on a single project. With Pootle, several translators can work on a single file (the web-based system feeds about 10 segments at a time). Of course, Pootle can also be used by translators who are not physically present at the translatathon.

Translators who don't want to use Pootle's browser-based interface can download files in PO, XLIFF and CSV format, translate it in their favourite tool, and upload it again.

The browser-based system doesn't have realtime fuzzy translation memory matching, but it does have fuzzy glossary matching. The glossary system isn't terribly advanced, though. The PO format does have a system of fuzzy matching itself, and those matches do get fed.

In the browser-based translation interface, users can skip segments they're not sure of, they can add a translation as a "suggestion" (some users who don't have full translator rights can only suggest), and there is a box for translator comments per segment as well.

Pootle is built upon the Translate-toolkit. One of the nice things about the Toolkit is the various checks it performs to ensure that the translation doesn't break the software (in localisation scenarios).

You can read up on Pootle here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index

==

I don't have setup rights on any of the public Pootle servers, but try http://pootle.wordforge.org/ and see if there are some stuff left in your language to translate?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pootle

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »