https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/87278-cat_tools_for_interpreters.html

CAT tools for Interpreters
Thread poster: Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2007

Does anyone knows any useful CAT tool for interpreters? I can guess there should be some software to improve the interpreter performance when he/she tries to create or to retrieve some terminology or even when he/she is at work in the booth...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Database lookups Oct 22, 2007

I could imagine that the possibility of searching bilingual material that is stored in a TM could be useful. AFAIK, this feature is offered by any CAT tool, although it is not always as comfortable to use.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:04
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Terminology base Oct 22, 2007

I suppose that if you just want to check glossaries created by yourself beforehand, any terminology software would do.

For starters, you could check ApSIC Xbench, a free tool created for that purpose:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Electronic dictionaries, own dictionaries Oct 22, 2007

Hi,
In the booth I usually have my laptop where I have several bilingual dictionaries as well as my own glossaries and of course reference materials sent by client. However, it's rather a backup or a last resort help - I always try to rely on my memory and do proper research before the assignment. But the laptop (and Internet) certainly helps: I remember a conference where one of the speakers listed a number of (not so common) chemical substances - at this point both me and my booth partne
... See more
Hi,
In the booth I usually have my laptop where I have several bilingual dictionaries as well as my own glossaries and of course reference materials sent by client. However, it's rather a backup or a last resort help - I always try to rely on my memory and do proper research before the assignment. But the laptop (and Internet) certainly helps: I remember a conference where one of the speakers listed a number of (not so common) chemical substances - at this point both me and my booth partners relied heavily on a bilingual chemical dictionary we had on our laptops. Finding the entry WHILE interpreting is not an easy task, however

I also experimented with CAT tools in the research phase: I used Wordfast and one other tool to create bilingual word lists from reference materials to quickly retrieve relevant terminology. It didn't worked well I must say. First, because 90% of materials are in PowerPoint and CAT tools do not like this format, second the time spend on cleaning the list from unnecessary words was not worth it. So I rather rely on traditional method: reading the files and making notes.

HTH,
Magda
Collapse

Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet
Sandro Ruggeri Dulcet  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some useful tools Oct 26, 2007

Hi Magda, Wolfgang and Jabberwock, thanks for your comments.

I received some very intersting suggestions from Bruno Ciola, in the Italian post of this same question. He suggested me these softwares:

- interplex: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1028.htm... See more
Hi Magda, Wolfgang and Jabberwock, thanks for your comments.

I received some very intersting suggestions from Bruno Ciola, in the Italian post of this same question. He suggested me these softwares:

- interplex: http://www.aiic.net/ViewPage.cfm/article1028.htm
- LookUp: http://www.lookup-online.de/
- TermDB (sviluppato da Christian Vogeler)
- InterpretBank (in fase di sviluppo da parte di Claudio Fantinuoli).
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Reference search Oct 26, 2007

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
I also experimented with CAT tools in the research phase: I used Wordfast and one other tool to create bilingual word lists from reference materials to quickly retrieve relevant terminology. It didn't worked well I must say. First, because 90% of materials are in PowerPoint and CAT tools do not like this format, second the time spend on cleaning the list from unnecessary words was not worth it. So I rather rely on traditional method: reading the files and making notes.
Magda

The best plan with Wordfast is to put such material in WF's "Reference" directory. Everything is converted into plain text (so use a copy!) and you then get a display of all instances of a term or expression (and its translation, if any) by just pressing the "Reference search" button on the WF toolbar. It' lightning fast.

HTH
David

Gregor_Mikesa
Gregor_Mikesa
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
InterpretBank experience Dec 29, 2015

Hello!

I am writing a paper about the tool InterpretBank. This software was created for Interpreters by Mr. Claudio Fantinuoli. Is here anybody, who is experienced in this software? I am searching 2 or 3 people for an interview for my paper. It would be very helpful if somebody would like to get interviewed. If you are interested, send me a PM or an Email ([email protected]).

Thank you!!!

With best regards
Gregor

[Edited at 2015-12-29 15:3
... See more
Hello!

I am writing a paper about the tool InterpretBank. This software was created for Interpreters by Mr. Claudio Fantinuoli. Is here anybody, who is experienced in this software? I am searching 2 or 3 people for an interview for my paper. It would be very helpful if somebody would like to get interviewed. If you are interested, send me a PM or an Email ([email protected]).

Thank you!!!

With best regards
Gregor

[Edited at 2015-12-29 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

Gregor_Mikesa
Gregor_Mikesa
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
CAT-Tools for Interpreters Dec 29, 2015

humana wrote:

Does anyone knows any useful CAT tool for interpreters? I can guess there should be some software to improve the interpreter performance when he/she tries to create or to retrieve some terminology or even when he/she is at work in the booth...

Hello!

InterpretBank is the newest, I think. There are some others of Course, for example Interpley, LookUP and TermDB.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for Interpreters

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »