Mobile menu

how can I turn exported TM in TMX format?
Thread poster: Hani Hassaan

Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:54
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 26, 2007

Hello everybody,
I want to know what does (TMX format) means, I need your help over how to turn my exported TM in TMX format?
I appreciate quick replies.
Many thanks for all

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:54
English to French
+ ...
Depends Nov 26, 2007

Do you have Trados or another CAT tool that can handle TMX format? If yes, the solution is very easy. You just need to import the text file into a blank TM and then export it as TMX.

However, if you do not have a CAT tool that can handle TMX, then you have another solution. First, you need to download a tool called ApSic XBench ( http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html ). Install it and create a project. Do not touch any option you are not sure about - the few options you need to touch are very straightforward. When you get to the part where you add files, check the Trados Exported Memory file format and navigate to the directory where you saved the text file. Save the project before doing anything else. Now, go to Tools > Export Items. In the dialog, check All Items in Project in the Selection box. In the Output box, set the format to TMX memory. Enter the desired filename for your TMX file (ideally the same as the name of the original text file) and specify the language pair. Make sure the language pair specified is exact (respect country/region). Click OK and the TMX file is created in the directory you specified.

Please post again should you have any more questions.

All the best!

Edit: I forgot to answer your first question. TMX is the translation memory exchange format developed so that no matter what CAT tool you use, the TM will be compatible. This means that a translator using DéjàVu can use a TM created in Trados, etc. The contents of the file are simply corresponding source and target segments and some basic language and font definition data.

[Edited at 2007-11-26 02:47]

Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Trados 6.5 Nov 26, 2007

Hi Viktoria,
many thanks for your help, Yes I have Trados 6.5 and I translated using it a project, the client asked me to export it into TMX format not as usual (Text Document).
I greatly appreciate your help.
thanks

Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
where I find option (export it as TMX) in Trados 6.5 Nov 26, 2007

Dear
where I can find option (export it as TMX) , I did what you told me I , but when I came to export it, it was only usual (adding languages and create it in specific place on PC),I do not know where I find option (export it as TMX).
please any help.

Thank you very much!

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Very easy Nov 26, 2007

Alright, that sounds good!

In Workbench, with the correct TM open, you need to go to File > Export. In the dialog that opens, leave all options unchanged and click OK. In the Create Export File dialog that opens, navigate to the directory where you want to save the TMX file. In the lower part of the dialog, define TMX 1.1 as the export file type. You can also define other versions of TMX, but if your client didn't specify which one s/he wants, it is better to use the oldest version - you never know, maybe your client's version of Trados is older than yours... Then just click Save and the TMX file is created in the specificed directory.

Click the thumbnail below to see the dialog box.

All the best!

[Edited at 2007-11-26 03:03]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your CAT tool should have it Nov 26, 2007

Hani Hassaan wrote:
I want to know what does (TMX format) means, I need your help over how to turn my exported TM in TMX format?

TMX is a TM format in XML. But why do you need a TM in TMX? You mention that you have an "exported TM". To what format did you export it? Can't the program that exported it, export it to TMX for you?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure about 6.5 Nov 26, 2007

Hani Hassaan wrote:
Yes I have Trados 6.5 and I translated using it a project, the client asked me to export it into TMX format not as usual.

Trados 6.5 is a rather old version of Trados, and I don't know where the TMX export option is for it. However, I assume it would be in a similar place as the TXT export option (see if there isn't a dropdown list somewhere). You can use any version of TMX, but TMX 1.1 should be safe.

Unless I'm mistaken, Viktoria's screenshot is from Trados 7.

You should export TMX directly from your Trados memory. If you only have your Trados TXT memory, you should create a new empty Trados memory, import the TXT memory, and then export the TMX memory. There is no utility in Trados for turning an exported TXT memory into an exported TMX memory directly.

[Edited at 2007-11-26 07:03]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TMX not compatible Nov 26, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
TMX is the translation memory exchange format developed so that no matter what CAT tool you use, the TM will be compatible.

That is the theory, but in practice most CAT tools have such different TM systems that the TMX is nothing more than a two-column flat file (source text and target text) which has been bloated to XML format.

TMX is useful for CAT tools whose programmers don't want to spend much time developing compatibility with lots of other tools but still give its users the ability to make some use of their own TMs in other programs.

XML is a wonderful format for stuff that needs nesting, but TMs are not nested structures and any attempt to put a TM into a nested file format only results in unnecessary bloat.

Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for Viktoria and great help Nov 26, 2007

many thanks for Viktoria and great help, thanks Samuel too, I tried your solution, it works fine.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
It's a pleasure! Nov 27, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Trados 6.5 is a rather old version of Trados, and I don't know where the TMX export option is for it. However, I assume it would be in a similar place as the TXT export option (see if there isn't a dropdown list somewhere). You can use any version of TMX, but TMX 1.1 should be safe.

Unless I'm mistaken, Viktoria's screenshot is from Trados 7.

Actually, the screen capture came from Trados 7.5. You are right, it is not exactly the same dialog as in Trados 6.5 - but the option to export TM as TMX is still in the same spot. 6.5 was the version I first learned Trados on, and I am used to reaching for that dropdown ever since. That's why I thought it would be OK to paste in a screen capture from a more recent version. Of course, I have since long uninstalled 6.5, so it wouldn't have been possible to use images from it.

All the best to you, Hani! If you need more help, you know where to find us!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can I turn exported TM in TMX format?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs