Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2003

Hi,

I need some urgent help. I have a deadline for tomorrow and I suspect that my normal.dot template is corrupt. Here are some details:

Trados 5.5 Freelance

Word 2002 (XP)

OS Windows 2000

I am trying to use Trados to translate a complicated Word document that contains macros. Each time I try to translate the file, Trados inserts -{}- and I cannot translate it.

I have searched the Forums, and
... See more
Hi,

I need some urgent help. I have a deadline for tomorrow and I suspect that my normal.dot template is corrupt. Here are some details:

Trados 5.5 Freelance

Word 2002 (XP)

OS Windows 2000

I am trying to use Trados to translate a complicated Word document that contains macros. Each time I try to translate the file, Trados inserts -{}- and I cannot translate it.

I have searched the Forums, and have even downloaded and installed the recent Trados patch that is supposed to correct this problem. It hasn\'t. I can Trados all other files, just not this particular file.

According to other posts, my normal.dot template may be corrupt and I should recreate it. But I have searched all of my hard drive and there is no template called normal.dot at all.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Joanne

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:15
English to German
+ ...
Office installation folder Mar 6, 2003

Hi Joanne,

The exact location of normal.dot depends on the folder structure selected when installing WordXP. This article from the MS Knowledge Base might help:

[URLhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319154[/URL]

Have you tried saving the document in RTF? This will kill any embedded macros, but might help you get on. Also, deactivating term recognition might help.

Good luck, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use search function Mar 6, 2003

Beside the advices of Ralf, you can simply use the Windows search function, searching for files *.dot. After you find your Normal.dot rename it simply to Normal.old (while Word is not running) and note its location.

After you start Word again it will create a new Normal.dot. If you do not want to loose Auto textes and formatings from your old Normal.dot, you can use the \"Organise\" function in Word (it should be located in the menu Format).

HTH

Jerzy

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Search didn't find the file Mar 6, 2003

Hi Jerzy,

Your advice is always excellent and this is exactly what I tried to do before. As I said, a search of my entire hard drive using the Windows search function did not result in the file being found.

Ralf, the info you provided me with is perfect, thanks very much.

Kind regards and many thanks to both of you,

Joanne

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Finding where files are saved.... Mar 6, 2003

First of all in general - let\'s imagine you have a (Word) file open and want to know where it\'s saved. Go to File, Save under and it\'ll show you exactly where that file is saved. If you want to save it somewhere else then you have to click through the directories to put it in the right place.

To find out where your normal.dot resides, then go to

File

New

Blank document (and hit open as template button at the lower right of this wi
... See more
First of all in general - let\'s imagine you have a (Word) file open and want to know where it\'s saved. Go to File, Save under and it\'ll show you exactly where that file is saved. If you want to save it somewhere else then you have to click through the directories to put it in the right place.

To find out where your normal.dot resides, then go to

File

New

Blank document (and hit open as template button at the lower right of this window).

This will call up a new blank document template.

Then hit save as and it\'ll show you where normal.dot is saved.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There must be a Normal.dot Mar 6, 2003

After starting Word it does either create a new Normal.dot or uses the old one.

If you did not find ANY normal.dot on your system, so after starting Word there MUSt be a new - and therefore not corrupted - normal.dot file.

So your problem is perhaps not causeby by a corrupted Normal.dot. So perhaps your Trados dot file is damaged ( C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\USER\\Anwendungsdaten\\Microsoft\\Word\\StartUp\\Trados5.dot is the path in German - but it must be si
... See more
After starting Word it does either create a new Normal.dot or uses the old one.

If you did not find ANY normal.dot on your system, so after starting Word there MUSt be a new - and therefore not corrupted - normal.dot file.

So your problem is perhaps not causeby by a corrupted Normal.dot. So perhaps your Trados dot file is damaged ( C:\\Dokumente und Einstellungen\\USER\\Anwendungsdaten\\Microsoft\\Word\\StartUp\\Trados5.dot is the path in German - but it must be similar in other languages). Close Word, rename Trados5.dot to Trados5.old and then copy the original one there - it can be found here: C:\\Programme\\TRADOS\\T5_FL\\TT\\Templates\\Trados5.dot - where \"Programme\" is in german OS, \"program files\" should be in english OS.

Perhaps this could help...

If this does not help, so I would deinstall Word and Trados and then reinstall first Word, than Trados again...

Wish you luck

Jerzy
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no joy... Mar 6, 2003

Hi Alison,

When I do this, Word just decides to save it in the last folder where I was working. So this doesn\'t help me either.

Jerzy, I tried to search for my .dot files again with Word running this time. My PC tells me that there is no normal.dot file at all on my PC.

Ralf, I followed the link you sent me and it doesn\'t work for me either: I don\'t have Word 2002 Support Template facility that it is supposed to have.

... See more
Hi Alison,

When I do this, Word just decides to save it in the last folder where I was working. So this doesn\'t help me either.

Jerzy, I tried to search for my .dot files again with Word running this time. My PC tells me that there is no normal.dot file at all on my PC.

Ralf, I followed the link you sent me and it doesn\'t work for me either: I don\'t have Word 2002 Support Template facility that it is supposed to have.

I will try to restore my Trados toolbar, but I honestly can\'t find my normal.dot file - I\'ve searched several times.

Joanne
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
To repair Mar 6, 2003

... in the German version of Office XP, you have in Word, Power Point etc... the function \"Erkennen und Reparieren\".

Auf das Fragezeichen klicken, rechts neben Tabelle.

Geneviève

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Only if you did not modyfiy anything Mar 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-06 17:11, G.v.L. wrote:

... in the German version of Office XP, you have in Word, Power Point etc... the function \"Erkennen und Reparieren\".

Geneviève

Dear Geneviève, this will only be, if you did not modify your Word. My Word is modified, so it is not so easy to explain where all the neces... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-06 17:11, G.v.L. wrote:

Geneviève

Dear Geneviève, this will only be, if you did not modify your Word. My Word is modified, so it is not so easy to explain where all the necessary functions are hidden.

Nevertheless, unsing the repair function may help. But on the other side, Joanne stated, tha she cannot find Normal.dot at all. And this is what is very strange to me. As far as I know, Word allways uses a Normal.dot

So after closing Word she MUST find a normal.dot on her system. Perhaps her system is set so, that it does not show hidden/system files - and perhaps it considers normal.dot to be a system file.

But doing a remote diagnostics is very complicated, as we not only don´t know the exact system behaviour, but the language version of OS and Office. And the paths differ from language to language...

Best

Jerzy ▲ Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your system files must be hidden Mar 6, 2003

From the Wordfast FAQ.

How can I find the Startup and Template folders?

On the File Locations tab of Word\'s Tools/Options. Doubleclick on the path if you can\'t read it.

If you can\'t go to the path on the File Locations tab your system files are hidden.

Search \'hidden files\' in Windows Help.

Regards,

Gerard

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly it! Mar 6, 2003

Thanks very much to everyone for your help, especially Jerzy, the resident technical wizard.

I\'ve now sorted my problem and everything is back up and running. Just got that deadline for tomorrow morning to deal with now...

Thanks again,

Joanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can\'t find normal.dot

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »