How to treat tables of contents and other automatic features when using TRADOS?
Thread poster: Planogroup
Planogroup
Greece
Local time: 06:00
English to Greek
+ ...
Mar 8, 2003

I am currently working on a document containing many automatically created features such as a table of contents and links to various pages and titles. My client has asked me to use Trados. I am afraid that all such features will be lost during clean-up and major re-formatting will be needed.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to German
+ ...
Use Bookmark Handler Mar 8, 2003

If there are more bookmarks than only TOC, these can get pretty messed up. Trados has released a Bookmark Handler to prepare files containing bookmarks. The Zip-file has 33 KB, please contact me via my profile page, and I can send it to you. If it´s only TOC, just skip it, translate the file and after cleanup right-click on the TOC and select \"update content\".

Daniel

Planogroup
Greece
Local time: 06:00
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 8, 2003

Thanks for the tip Daniel. Fortunately the bookmarks are TOC, so I will cross my fingers and pray that the damage will be limited to a minimum.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados and fields Mar 8, 2003

I don\'t know if this will work for everything but I usually check mark the box Field Codes under Tools -> Options -> View -> Show while translating. Trados will then skip all fields (including the TOC). The only thing you will see in your document is something like:

{TOC...} marked in grey.

I usually do the translation in Normal View. After clean-up, these fields do not seem to be affected.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to treat tables of contents and other automatic features when using TRADOS?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs