https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/9318-a_solution_to_the_%7B%7D_problem_in_trados.html

A solution to the -{}- problem in Trados
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

Hello,

I have accidentally stumbled across the solution to my problem with Trados inserting curly brackets in a folder with a lot of formatting, and I thought I should share it.

I had a large document with a lot of formatting, checkboxes etc in it. Each time I tried to process it using Trados, Workbench automatically inserted a set of curly brackets -{}- and wouldn\'t let me process the file.

Before you suspect that your version of
... See more
Hello,

I have accidentally stumbled across the solution to my problem with Trados inserting curly brackets in a folder with a lot of formatting, and I thought I should share it.

I had a large document with a lot of formatting, checkboxes etc in it. Each time I tried to process it using Trados, Workbench automatically inserted a set of curly brackets -{}- and wouldn\'t let me process the file.

Before you suspect that your version of Word or Trados is corrupt and reinstall them, check that the document you are trying to translate is not protected (Tools -> Unprotect).

I have spent a lot of hours researching the Web, Trados sites, Yahoo user groups etc. and found lots of information, but none of it mentioned what happens if a document is protected.

I know the problem can be caused by other things, such as bookmarks - see http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=655 - but these bookmarks were not present in my document. Since finding the solution to my particular problem, I have searched the Trados knowledge base for \"protected documents\" but found no satisfactory results. I\'ll let them know.

What a relief to solve that particular problem!

Joanne

Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let me see if I've understood... Mar 11, 2003

So, in similar cases, we have to \"deprotect\" the file, havent\' we?

Clarisa

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Mar 11, 2003

that\'s right Clarissa. Go to Tools -> Unprotect in Word.

I would of course, always warn your client that you had to do this. They may need to re-protect the file once it has been cleaned up.

HTH,

Joanne

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 10:24
Swedish to English
Neat Mar 19, 2003

Thank you Joanne, nice to know.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A solution to the -{}- problem in Trados

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »