Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:10
French to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2008

Hi!
How can I write in Cirillic? Perhaps in other forums someone answered already to a question like that, but I don't find anything.Sorry.
Francesco

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Windows XP setup Jan 9, 2008

Windows XP supports cyrillic characters and keyboard layouts for various languages and countries. You may have to install this option aditionally (Control panel - Add/remove software). Getting used to the cyrillic keyboard layout is a different question.

Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:10
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately Jan 9, 2008

Thank you very much, but even if I write in Cirillic in a word document, I can copy it in a site, because this site refuses Cirillic caracters.Why?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:10
Swedish to English
+ ...
Because the site is using ISO-8859-1 encoding (Latin 1) Jan 9, 2008

Francesco Damiani wrote:

Thank you very much, but even if I write in Cirillic in a word document, I can copy it in a site, because this site refuses Cirillic caracters.Why?

Try replacing the characters with either their numerical or hex code (easy using find & replaces in MS Word, or if you need to to this often, use a macro).

You can find the codes here, for example:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/localization/l/blhtmlcodes-ru.htm

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Please, ask a more precise question Jan 10, 2008

Francesco Damiani wrote:

… if I write in Cirillic in a word document, I can copy it in a site, because this site refuses Cirillic caracters.Why?

a) you give too little information to get a reasonable answer: what do you mean under “copy it in a site”? Describe your actions in more detail;
b) if you've got any problem with a particular site, contact the site's administrator.

General remark: in most modern operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, support of Cyrillic is no problem, at least in case of Cyrillic used by Slavic languages (Non-Slavic Cyrillic is a bit more problematic). So, problems may arise:
a) if a particular program is bad;
b) if a particular user does not take necessary measures.

P.S. It's a good idea to read this article: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

[Редактировалось 2008-01-10 13:44]

[Редактировалось 2008-01-10 13:45]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To write with Cirillic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »