Help with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench: Segments disappearing...
Thread poster: Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
France
Local time: 22:34
English to French
+ ...
Jan 14, 2008

Hello,

I have worked on Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench for a few months now and I have had experienced some problems lately.
Indeed, when I use the shortcut CTRL+"down" arrow to go to the next segment, the next segment disappears... It seems to be completely erased and I haven't found any way to get it back.
Have some of you experienced the same problem? How have you solved it?

Thank you very much for your help...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have no idea, but... Jan 15, 2008

Pro-Trans wrote:
Indeed, when I use the shortcut CTRL+"down" arrow to go to the next segment, the next segment disappears... It seems to be completely erased and I haven't found any way to get it back.

I've never known of Ctrl+down. I simply press ENTER and it goes to the next segment. However, I see that Ctrl+down has the advantage of marking the segment as "pending review". However, if you moved to the next segment using Ctrl+down, then the Undo feature does not work. If you've moved to the next segment using down only or using ENTER, then the Undo function works nicely. You can also mark a range of segments as "pending review" by Shift+clicking the segment numbers and pressing Ctrl+Shift+P.

As to your problem of segments disappearing, sorry, I have no idea.

Gabi Franz
Gabi Franz
English to German
Did you try reinstalling? Jan 15, 2008

That sounds strange. I would reinstall the application, maybe that solves the problem. (I experienced some minor problems after using Idiom DWB for a while which were solved after reinstalling). BTW, there is a new version (9.0) available.

@ Samuel: I prefer using CTRL+down, because besides marking the segment as "pending review" it also applies the selected "automatic translation" options, that is sends the translation to the TM (which you else have to do manually) and propagates t
... See more
That sounds strange. I would reinstall the application, maybe that solves the problem. (I experienced some minor problems after using Idiom DWB for a while which were solved after reinstalling). BTW, there is a new version (9.0) available.

@ Samuel: I prefer using CTRL+down, because besides marking the segment as "pending review" it also applies the selected "automatic translation" options, that is sends the translation to the TM (which you else have to do manually) and propagates the translation to all instances of this segment (repetitions).

I hope this helps.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aaaah... Jan 15, 2008

Gabi Franz wrote:
I prefer using CTRL+down, because besides marking the segment as "pending review" it also applies the selected "automatic translation" options, that is sends the translation to the TM (which you else have to do manually) and propagates the translation to all instances of this segment (repetitions).

Aaaah, well, that makes sense. That is also why I didn't know about it, because I translate Idiom jobs in Wordfast. I prefer to use one CAT tool for most jobs as far as possible because I'm more productive if I use a tool whose quirks I know best (I hope...).

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Filtering options? Jan 16, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
I translate Idiom jobs in Wordfast.

As a matter of interest: what's the workflow you use for that? Do you process the XLIFF files from the XLZ package or the MS Access project file (*.wsprj) created by DWB?

Regarding Pro-Trans's original request:
Maybe you have some strange row filtering applied (combo box in the upper right corner of the screen)? I don't know how by entering a segment you could change its status in a way that caused it to disappear, but I know that you can do that to the segment you leave. For instance if you have selected to display empty rows only or those with no translation status, this makes the segments you've worked on disappear when you leave them.

This in itself of course still doesn't explain why the new and as yet unprocessed segment would disappear (I'm quite sure it is not erased; there is no way to do that in Idiom; to my current knowledge, the only thing that can happen is that it's filtered out of the current view, or that row sorting is changed between natural and alphabetic, which can also cause confusion).

BTW, do you know and use the WorldServer Desktop Workbench Yahoo Group, where Idiom staff are usually quite quick in providing help to users?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench

Endre

Yann Anyr Bouchedor
Yann Anyr Bouchedor
Canada
Local time: 16:34
English to French
+ ...
Aligning with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench Feb 21, 2008

Hi all
Is Aligning possible with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench?
Txs

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench: Segments disappearing...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »