https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/95833-trados_or_wordfast.html

Trados or Wordfast?
Thread poster: AFerroni
AFerroni
AFerroni  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2008

Hello all,
At the moment I use the free version of Wordfast, and I'm considering buying the fully functional version or spending more and buying Trados. Any thoughts about which is better? Which do you use and why?
Thanks for any contributions on this matter.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:37
English to French
+ ...
Forum search Jan 31, 2008

Why not search the forum for threads with the exact same subject? There are literally hundreds of them. Just type the words "Trados" and "Wordfast" in the search field and you'll get more than the answer to your question.

All the best!

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Check your needs - and check other tools Jan 31, 2008

Hello,

which program is better for you depends on your needs. Check thoroughly which kind of documents you need to translate, and which program is easier to use - and what your customers expect.

And, check more alternatives: For example, there is another affordable cat tool called "MetaTexis". Version Lite of this program is even totally free-of-charge (see www.metatexis.com).
... See more
Hello,

which program is better for you depends on your needs. Check thoroughly which kind of documents you need to translate, and which program is easier to use - and what your customers expect.

And, check more alternatives: For example, there is another affordable cat tool called "MetaTexis". Version Lite of this program is even totally free-of-charge (see www.metatexis.com).

Cheers
Hermann
Collapse

Michael Short
Michael Short  Identity Verified
French to English
Trados, Wordfast or Metatexis? Jan 31, 2008

Hi, I use metatexis all the time. It's really simple to use and there is a good idiot proof manual that you can download. The advantage is that its TRADOS compatible. That means that you can save the finished document as a TRADOS file. Much cheaper alternative.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados compatibility Jan 31, 2008

IMHO, it does not make any sense. We need CAT tools to translate repetitive files. But the 'so-called' industry standard Trados (and compatibility with Trados files) really slows down improvement of many good tools.

There is a long list of CAT tools including (but not limited to as usual) Wordfast, MetaTexis, MemoQ, Across, SDLX, OmegaT, Transit and Deja Vu. And all can import and export TMX (Translation Memory eXchange) files.

As a CAT tool I am not against Trados, b
... See more
IMHO, it does not make any sense. We need CAT tools to translate repetitive files. But the 'so-called' industry standard Trados (and compatibility with Trados files) really slows down improvement of many good tools.

There is a long list of CAT tools including (but not limited to as usual) Wordfast, MetaTexis, MemoQ, Across, SDLX, OmegaT, Transit and Deja Vu. And all can import and export TMX (Translation Memory eXchange) files.

As a CAT tool I am not against Trados, but against any so-called industry standard tool(s) in the translation industry. Translators, agencies and software developers should concentrate on TMX, which is really a standard file format.

My two cents

[Edited at 2008-01-31 21:59]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:37
English to French
+ ...
Ditto Feb 1, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Translators, agencies and software developers should concentrate on TMX, which is really a standard file format.

My feelings exactly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Wordfast?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »