https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/9703-how_do_you_protect_translation_units_in_trados.html

How do you protect translation units in Trados?
Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 25, 2003

I need to send a TM to a colleague for some collaboration. The TM will have certain TUs that should not be changed, is there a way to protect these units from accidental modification? I\'m using Trados FL 5.5.

[ This Message was edited by: chilean1 on 2003-03-25 15:45]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will it help.... Mar 25, 2003

to advise your colleague to import the TM as \"keep the most recent\", that is, if your TM goes in .txt format.

HIH

Haydée
[addsig]

Judy Rojas
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Haydee Mar 25, 2003

What I really want is to send her the TM. not a TM export. I\'m looking to \"lock\" the TU so its contents cannot be changed inadvertingly.

Regards,

Ricardo

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:34
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use the TM as "Reference TM" Mar 25, 2003

If your are both using Trados 5 (but this feature is available since v.3), your friend could intall your memory as Reference TM (Read-only).

In Trados is possible to have a \'primary\' memory, which is updated during the translation, and a reference memory (used as a reference) and not updated.

Go to Options > TM options > Concordance, to setup the reference memory.

At the end the two memories could be merged, if you want, but your
... See more
If your are both using Trados 5 (but this feature is available since v.3), your friend could intall your memory as Reference TM (Read-only).

In Trados is possible to have a \'primary\' memory, which is updated during the translation, and a reference memory (used as a reference) and not updated.

Go to Options > TM options > Concordance, to setup the reference memory.

At the end the two memories could be merged, if you want, but your colleague cannot change your translation units during the translation.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: gianfranco on 2003-03-25 16:38]
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Gianfranco Mar 25, 2003

But I\'m afraid that only prevents the TU in the reference TM from being modified, not the new unit. What I\'m trying to do is to provide \"boilerplate\" translations so the text we both translate is the same.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 05:34
German to English
+ ...
project settings Mar 25, 2003

Hello take a look on the project settings and the setup of your tm. There are some possibilities to protect translation units. Of course you have to give your tm a passwort with some restriction for the other user. You can find some more informtion on this topic in the documentation from trados.

Hans

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Make your segments XTranslated Units Mar 25, 2003

This may help.

XTranslated Units (XUs) are translation units that appear in your bilingual document after carrying out the XTranslate Files task in WorkSpace. They represent segment matches that come from the previous version of the bilingual document rather than the translation memory. Because the XTranslate process includes a check for context, XU segment matches represent those parts of your document that typically need no further translation or editing. As a result, TRAD
... See more
This may help.

XTranslated Units (XUs) are translation units that appear in your bilingual document after carrying out the XTranslate Files task in WorkSpace. They represent segment matches that come from the previous version of the bilingual document rather than the translation memory. Because the XTranslate process includes a check for context, XU segment matches represent those parts of your document that typically need no further translation or editing. As a result, TRADOS applies extra protection to XUs by default so that they are not modified during batch or interactive translation.

Taken From: Translator\'s Workbench online help, (c) 1994-2001 by TRADOS Ireland Ltd., Dublin, Ireland.
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
English to French
Clear it up Mar 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-25 16:46, chilean1 wrote:

But I\'m afraid that only prevents the TU in the reference TM from being modified, not the new unit. What I\'m trying to do is to provide \"boilerplate\" translations so the text we both translate is the same.

What you are asking if not dead clear to me. I can understand you want to protect the original TM TUs, but what is the point in protecting new TUs?
... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-25 16:46, chilean1 wrote:

What you are asking if not dead clear to me. I can understand you want to protect the original TM TUs, but what is the point in protecting new TUs?

Do you simply want to make sure you use the same TM? For that, unless you have a network enabled version, you will need to use the TM as a background TM, use a new TM as a regular TM, and when any of you is satisfied with his translation, merge the new TM with the background TM, and create a new one. Share your TM updates by email, and merge them into your background TM when you get them. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you protect translation units in Trados?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »