"Pitanya" fruit in La Boqueria market in Barcelona
Thread poster: curiosity
curiosity
curiosity
German to English
Oct 29, 2004

I was recently in Barcelona and visited La Boqueria market (fantastic). I saw a load of fruits I wasn't familiar with. One was the PITANYA - like a purple mango with bits sticking out. Its flesh inside was deep purple with seeds. Can you tell me its English name?
Many thanks.

Teresa Miret
Teresa Miret  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
English to Catalan
+ ...
Out of curiosity... Nov 4, 2004

I tried to find the word "pitanya" in a Catalan dictionary unsuccessfully. So I tried a Spanish one where I found a fruit called "pitanga". I've checked and this is also the name for it in English.

Not "pitanya" but "pitanga".

Hope it helps.

Teresa

curiosity
curiosity
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
wow! Nov 4, 2004

Great sleuthing! Many thanks. STUART

curiosity
curiosity
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
even more wow! Nov 4, 2004

Your investigations made me check it out via Google images.
The PITANGA is also called the SURINAM CHERRY. This isn't what I saw. However, on the website of the California Rare Fruit Growers crfg.org, the next fruit on the alphabetical list is the ... PITAYA. This is it. I recognise the picture
http://www.ilovepitaya.com/images/special/Special_fruit01.jpg
... See more
Your investigations made me check it out via Google images.
The PITANGA is also called the SURINAM CHERRY. This isn't what I saw. However, on the website of the California Rare Fruit Growers crfg.org, the next fruit on the alphabetical list is the ... PITAYA. This is it. I recognise the picture
http://www.ilovepitaya.com/images/special/Special_fruit01.jpg

I had the red-flesh version.

Thanks again.
STUART
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

"Pitanya" fruit in La Boqueria market in Barcelona

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »