Neil Rear  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2006

Hello all,

Can anyone out there tell me how I go about getting accreditation as a Catalan-English translator? I live in London, so naturally I would like to get accreditation in London or, if need be, somewhere in the UK.

Thank you!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
IOL or ITI (UK) Feb 14, 2006

Neil Rear wrote:

Hello all,

Can anyone out there tell me how I go about getting accreditation as a Catalan-English translator? I live in London, so naturally I would like to get accreditation in London or, if need be, somewhere in the UK.

Thank you!

Hi Neil

To get accreditation to EN, it seems logical to obtain it in an EN speaking country. The first people to contact are the Institute of Linguists IOL and the Institute of Translators ITI in the UK

www.iol.org.uk
www.iti.org.uk

Catalan is not the 'official' language of any country and may not be a listed examination language, as demand for official accreditation may not be high. I work from CAT, and most of teh work, for obvious reasons, is 'local', and/or from the CAT Govt.

Failing that, maybe a US body accredits CAT-EN.

Maria Rosich Andreu
Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Andorra? Feb 14, 2006

Just a guess, but maybe there is some sort of accreditation by the Government of Andorra (where Catalan is the only official language). Why don't you try contacting their Embassy?

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try IoL first Feb 14, 2006

Hi Neil,

The Institute of Linguists should definitely be your first port of call. The benchmark for professional translators is the Diploma in Translation which is set once a year in November.

They offer most languages but they do require a minimum of five candidates per language combination...

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Accreditation from the Generalitat Feb 14, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

Catalan is not the 'official' language of any country and may not be a listed examination language, as demand for official accreditation may not be high.

The Generalitat exam for En-Cat also counts for Cat-En. The exam is in Barcelona.

As pointed out in the above post, Catalan is indeed official in one country: Andorra. It wouldn't surprise me if Andorra didn't have an embassy in London and they were represented through the Spanish embassy, or possibly the French embassy. This is often what happens with microstates.

Neil Rear
Neil Rear  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Lia Feb 15, 2006

Hi Lia,

Thanks for your contribution. I will try ITI, I had not thought of them.

Best wishes,

Neil.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Catalan accreditation information request

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »