Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What does this company logo remind you of?!
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for not writing in Chinese, but I'm very curious to get your viewpoint of this logo. It's taken from a European translation agency.

I wonder what impression a Chinese language professional gets? Does it remind you of something? Does it give you positive or negative vibes? Could this be politically sensitive?... See more
Hi all,

Sorry for not writing in Chinese, but I'm very curious to get your viewpoint of this logo. It's taken from a European translation agency.

I wonder what impression a Chinese language professional gets? Does it remind you of something? Does it give you positive or negative vibes? Could this be politically sensitive?

Thanks a lot for your input!

/J
Collapse

Sanjun Sun
Sanjun Sun  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
English to Chinese
politically sensitive Mar 26, 2008

I guess it is indeed politically sensitive.

You can read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China
The logo is similar to that flag.

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 27, 2008

Sanjun Sun wrote:

Interesting. So would you say that the logo would cause negative reactions if this translation agency would market themselves in China?
The design will instantly remind every Chinese about the Taiwanese flag?!

/J

From Wikipedia:
The flag has developed a great deal of additional symbolism due to the unique and controversial political status of Taiwan. At one level, the flag represents a clear symbol that Taiwan is not governed by the same government as Mainland China, as this flag is different from the flag of the People's Republic of China (PRC).

Meanwhile, because it was formerly used as the flag over all of China, the flag has become a symbol of continuity with the ideals of the Chinese nationalism and Chinese reunification movements, and has become a symbol of a connection both historical and current with mainland China. In addition, the flag is derived from the seal of the KMT, and the color of the field of the flag is associated with the KMT party colors.

Some Chinese see the flag as an expression of Chinese nationalism and pride combined with simultaneous disapproval for the current communist regime. Additionally, the flag may symbolize identification with, and admiration for the political thoughts of Sun Yat-sen, and his Three Principles of the People.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
No, I don't think so. Mar 27, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:
Sanjun Sun wrote:

Interesting. So would you say that the logo would cause negative reactions if this translation agency would market themselves in China?
The design will instantly remind every Chinese about the Taiwanese flag?!

In your logo, the octostella is slightly elevated from the center because of the company name. Besides, your octostella differs obviously from the Israeli "David Star" as well as the Nationalist China's "12 Sunrays." You bet that none would regard your logo as politically sensitive either in Taiwan or in China.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Cultural Sensitive? Mar 27, 2008

三尖八角,會損手爛腳,不吉利。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
难怪... Mar 27, 2008

pkchan wrote:

三尖八角,會損手爛腳,不吉利。

...中华民国国运这么“衰”。

不过,“八”角应该还不错,“发”也。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Anyway, ... Mar 27, 2008

I do like the logo, though I don't know what symbolism might be attributed to it.

The color and the shapes look soft and smooth. The company name Semanitix is also easy to understand and can be associated to one of the principles of translation: According to the meaning, not to the form. It is the message which is to be translated, not the text after all.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
不過 Mar 27, 2008

青白旗是『三尖十二角』,3X12=36,三三(生生)不盡、六六(路路)無窮,從此國運昌隆,復活。

[Edited at 2008-03-27 16:23]

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm curious... Mar 28, 2008

Hi again,

I know this is the Chinese language forum, so sorry for disturbing!
But I'm really curious to hear what Wenjer and pkchan wrote.
I appreciate all your feedback...

/J

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

pkchan wrote:

青白旗是『三尖十二角』,3X12=36,三三(生生)不盡、六六(路路)無窮,從此國運昌隆,復活。

那不成中华民国要班师回南京了?

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hmm... Mar 28, 2008

It's pretty hard to translate all that what PK and I talked about.

To make the long story short, PK is of the opinion that your logo has 8 x 3-spikes and that would come into conflict with Chinese belief of 3-spikes and 8-edges being causes for misfortune. And I said jokingly that it might be the reason why the ROC lost the Civil War and came to Taiwan since then.

However, PK is of another opinion: 12 x 3-spikes makes the number 36 which is a fortunate number. He would
... See more
It's pretty hard to translate all that what PK and I talked about.

To make the long story short, PK is of the opinion that your logo has 8 x 3-spikes and that would come into conflict with Chinese belief of 3-spikes and 8-edges being causes for misfortune. And I said jokingly that it might be the reason why the ROC lost the Civil War and came to Taiwan since then.

However, PK is of another opinion: 12 x 3-spikes makes the number 36 which is a fortunate number. He would predict that the ROC will be all right pretty soon. So, I answered with my last post saying, "Do you mean that the ROC will go back to Nanjing on the Mainland soon?" (That would be really funny, I'd say.) Not much in our tongue-in-cheek dialog at all.

Wish you a great success with your effort creating the logo and with the symbolism you have in mind!

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Hi again,

I know this is the Chinese language forum, so sorry for disturbing!
But I'm really curious to hear what Wenjer and pkchan wrote.
I appreciate all your feedback...
Collapse

Sherwin Zhou
Sherwin Zhou  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
agree absolutely Mar 29, 2008

agree absolutely

Sanjun Sun wrote:

Hi, J-a-n S-ndstr-m
I do think if you bring that logo into Chinese Mainland, you will of course bring you trouble together.

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
sensitive Mar 29, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Hi all,

I wonder what impression a Chinese language professional gets? Does it remind you of something? Does it give you positive or negative vibes? Could this be politically sensitive?

Thanks a lot for your input!

/J

Japanese flag has a sun on it, too

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nationalistic Views vs. Commercial Views Mar 29, 2008

Well, Jan, I am no Chinese to understand the nationalist views of the Chinese colleagues. Your logo and the company name is perfectly all right for me. I wouldn't associate your logo with Japanese or Taiwanese colors.

However, we are different people and it is not for us to judge patriotism or nationalism.

By the way, I made fun with a Japanese diplomat once when I was in South America while I was invited to a Japanese reception. I told the Japanese ambassador: "Have yo
... See more
Well, Jan, I am no Chinese to understand the nationalist views of the Chinese colleagues. Your logo and the company name is perfectly all right for me. I wouldn't associate your logo with Japanese or Taiwanese colors.

However, we are different people and it is not for us to judge patriotism or nationalism.

By the way, I made fun with a Japanese diplomat once when I was in South America while I was invited to a Japanese reception. I told the Japanese ambassador: "Have you noticed that your national colors is wrongly hung? It should be the other way round." The ambassador looked at the colors (well, only two colors, red circle on a white background) and pondered a while before he burst into laughter. He said, "It's a good one you make with our national flag!"
Collapse

Juan Chen
Juan Chen  Identity Verified
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
像国民党的青天白日旗 Apr 1, 2008

大家来南京的几个景点四处可见啊

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does this company logo remind you of?!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »