广东话/普通话互翻译软件
Thread poster: xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
Local time: 01:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 2, 2008

Someone gave me this link: http://www.newdou.com/soft/40245.html where you can download some software for converting Mandarin Chinese into Cantonese. I wonder anyone has tried this and whether it works.

xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not working Jun 2, 2008

Just got someone to test it for me, and it does not seem to work the way I thought. It only converts to the Cantonese sounds in pinyin so it is useless as a written translation tool.

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:38
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hard to convert Cantonese into/from Mandarin Chinese Jun 3, 2008

It may be feasible to have a software capable of converting the formal writing style of Cantonese into/from Mandarin Chinese. However, I don't believe it is feasible to convert the colloquial style of Cantonese into/from Mandarin Chinese, given the great differences between them.

xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
converting the formal writing style of Cantonese Jun 3, 2008

Shirley,
Thank you for your input. I just asked someone to convert Mandarin Chinese into Cantonese but the document is quite formal. She did it but told me it was really not too much different. I am wondering whether in formal writing there is a need for Cantonese translation. I told my clients about this several times yet it seems to be hard for Americans to understand that there is no need to translate English into Cantonese even if the readers speak only Cantonese. What do you thin
... See more
Shirley,
Thank you for your input. I just asked someone to convert Mandarin Chinese into Cantonese but the document is quite formal. She did it but told me it was really not too much different. I am wondering whether in formal writing there is a need for Cantonese translation. I told my clients about this several times yet it seems to be hard for Americans to understand that there is no need to translate English into Cantonese even if the readers speak only Cantonese. What do you think?

Shirley Lao wrote:

It may be feasible to have a software capable of converting the formal writing style of Cantonese into/from Mandarin Chinese. However, I don't believe it is feasible to convert the colloquial style of Cantonese into/from Mandarin Chinese, given the great differences between them.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

广东话/普通话互翻译软件

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »