Why people are so cheap.
Thread poster: Bin Zhang
Bin Zhang
Bin Zhang  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 23, 2003

Al Beljael, who is from Russia,bid a job at yahoo group for a web site translation from English into Chinese at 0.03/word, but she can\'t do this job because she is neither from English countries nor from China. After she won the bid, she posted a job at proz.com this morning for English>Chinese. it said $4.00 for 300 words ($75.00) for the whole project(5341 words), it is barely 0.01 a word, she will take the rest 0.02 a word for this job.

I bid this job,she sent me the document exact
... See more
Al Beljael, who is from Russia,bid a job at yahoo group for a web site translation from English into Chinese at 0.03/word, but she can\'t do this job because she is neither from English countries nor from China. After she won the bid, she posted a job at proz.com this morning for English>Chinese. it said $4.00 for 300 words ($75.00) for the whole project(5341 words), it is barely 0.01 a word, she will take the rest 0.02 a word for this job.

I bid this job,she sent me the document exact the same with I bid at yahoo aeionline group.She is not able to do that, she just want to take some of the money from the translator.

I just want everybody know that some cheap people exist in our community.Please do not bid the job for very very low project.

Please let me some of your stories.
Collapse

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:57
Japanese to English
+ ...
Indian translation companies May 24, 2003

Bin Zhang,
The person you are discussing is really disreputable. I would like to add, though, that I have worked with a company in India which also bid out some very low paying jobs. However, as far as I could tell, they were reputable and were not just farming out the work. They were able to do so because India has a large, relatively well educated work force but a lower standard of living. So, there are some disreputable people (like this Russian) but there are also reputable translators
... See more
Bin Zhang,
The person you are discussing is really disreputable. I would like to add, though, that I have worked with a company in India which also bid out some very low paying jobs. However, as far as I could tell, they were reputable and were not just farming out the work. They were able to do so because India has a large, relatively well educated work force but a lower standard of living. So, there are some disreputable people (like this Russian) but there are also reputable translators (like the Indian company I worked with once) who bid low because they live in economies where they can still survive on those rates.
I would add, though, that although this particular company was reputable but I would not wnat them translating an important job for me, because I was not impressed with their reputable but low-quality work.
So, you get what you pay for. As a rule I will not bid for any 0.01$/word jobs, because I have found that in general those clients are untrustworthy if not ethically then quality wise. Even a company which can survive in Russia, India, or wherever on 0.01$/word jobs would charge higher rates if they could.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why people are so cheap.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »