Mobile menu

Chinese FAQs for Students of Chinese and Project Managers who handle Chinese.
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2003

Here is the link to my Chinese FAQs page. It answers some questions about the Chinese languages, such as:

How old is the Chinese langauge?
Is there an alphabet for Chinese?
How many characters are there in Chinese?
What is the difference between Simplified and Traditional Characters?
etc.

http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html

I also re-designed my website. You are welcome to take a peek.


Bin



[Edited at 2003-06-09 10:58]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just a thought to make it fun. Jun 10, 2003

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

Here is the link to my Chinese FAQs page. It answers some questions about the Chinese languages, such as:

How old is the Chinese langauge?
Is there an alphabet for Chinese?
How many characters are there in Chinese?
What is the difference between Simplified and Traditional Characters?
etc.

http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html

I also re-designed my website. You are welcome to take a peek.


Bin

[Edited at 2003-06-09 10:58]



Bin,

You did a great job in redesigning you website. It is very professional, informative and educational. You should also add online Quiz to check visitor's understanding about Chinese characters or expressions. For example, 鸭子划水(duck paddling) or 红杏出墙(Red apricot grows over the other side of the fence) and give multiple choices for answers.

Just a thought to make it fun.

Kevin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a great idea, Kevin! Jun 10, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

Here is the link to my Chinese FAQs page. It answers some questions about the Chinese languages, such as:

How old is the Chinese langauge?
Is there an alphabet for Chinese?
How many characters are there in Chinese?
What is the difference between Simplified and Traditional Characters?
etc.

http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html

I also re-designed my website. You are welcome to take a peek.


Bin

[Edited at 2003-06-09 10:58]



Bin,

You did a great job in redesigning you website. It is very professional, informative and educational. You should also add online Quiz to check visitor's understanding about Chinese characters or expressions. For example, 鸭子划水(duck paddling) or 红杏出墙(Red apricot grows over the other side of the fence) and give multiple choices for answers.

Just a thought to make it fun.

Kevin



Thanks, Kevin, for your encouragement. Putting some quiz online is a great idea. I think I will start collecting materials for that.

I posted the FAQs over a year ago (04/2002?) and remembered at that time, some agency owners said that their Project managers would benefit from it. So I thought I would post it again. Last time, I asked permission from Henry and got a "feel free" answer.

Before preparing the FAQs, I was not aware that Chinese character simplification did not start with the Communist government, but rather the Kuomingtang government initiated it in 1935.

Another note is that there are 13 variants for 宝 in 《汉语大词典》. You recently posted the news that the government is limiting the usage of characters for people's names. It is probably a necessary evil. If 13 people use 13 different forms of this character and insists on his/her chosen form, the clerk at the government office will be in trouble. Of course, there are 50,000-60,000 characters that are not supported in any computer. You can make more characters available, however, it is not free. Tax payer will have to foot the bill anyway. After all, it is our own money and we know we do not have an unlimited supply of that. When dealing with government issue, we all tend to claim whatever freedom we can get our hands on. When you think about it, we are not asking for more freedom and we are not getting any more freedom, the truth is that we are pulling out our wallets to pay more tax.


Cheers,

Bin






[Edited at 2003-06-10 05:11]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:35
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Simplified Chinese v.s. Traditional Chinese / another FAQ Jun 21, 2003

Chinese v.s. Traditional Chinese FAQ, an alternative reference link, less informative but should be helpful.

You are right, that's our company's website.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very informative! Jul 27, 2003

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

Here is the link to my Chinese FAQs page. It answers some questions about the Chinese languages, such as:

How old is the Chinese langauge?
Is there an alphabet for Chinese?
How many characters are there in Chinese?
What is the difference between Simplified and Traditional Characters?
etc.

http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html

I also re-designed my website. You are welcome to take a peek.

Bin

[Edited at 2003-06-09 10:58]


Thanks! This website is well designed and contains useful info.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Quite helpful! Jul 27, 2003

Golden View wrote:

Chinese v.s. Traditional Chinese FAQ, an alternative reference link, less informative but should be helpful.

You are right, that's our company's website.


This site well deserves our frequent visits! Thanks!

[Edited at 2003-07-28 00:41]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxrockerfox
English to Chinese
WWFF Aug 13, 2003

WWFF

[Edited at 2005-06-01 10:05]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:35
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
果真如此吗? Aug 13, 2003

Li Zhuangzi wrote:

any job. pls.
we r so hugry...(me and my cat)
rockerfox@sina.com.cn
or mobile: 86-13705031672


李壮子先生,

你好!欢迎你参加ProZ.com的活动,特别是中文论坛的讨论!

你的帖子我看到了。你好像遇到了困境。果真如此吗?我的同情心油然而生,很想帮你一把。

我刚才看了你的简历和ProZ.com的个人网页。你的简历太简单,ProZ.com的个人网页也基本没有建立。我认为在等待翻译任务的同时,你应该抓紧时间,好好充实一下以上这两个部分。你的简历和个人网页是你的门面,应该让人感觉到你虽然是新手,但是你有自己的专业知识,受到很好的训练,积累了一些翻译经验,愿意尽全部努力让客户满意。你应该瞄准你的专业领域,竭力增加你的可信度。还有,你的照片很可爱,但我建议最好选用一张免冠头像,会使效果更好一些。

你还应该很好地利用ProZ.com的Portfolio(翻译样件)功能,把你最得意地翻译作品列出来。可要小心,样件要尽量做到“尽善尽美”,才能起到正面的作用。

我想到的另一个方面就是,你应该了解一下怎么接受付款。你可以读一读本论坛以前的讨论(抱歉,有的帖子只能称为“聊天”),把接收付款的方法安排得越容易越好。我请过一些大陆的翻译合作,给有些翻译付款实在是“千辛万苦”,居然有让我从信封里夹寄现金的,或重复邮寄支票,对方都没收到的,我就无法继续与这类翻译合作了。

还有一点我想说的是,作为新手,在还没有稳定的客户基础和“货源”时,最好先不要“孤注一掷”地全身心投入这种行业,兼职才是比较省心又赚钱的选择。

说了这么多,但愿有所帮助。

代问你的爱猫好!

Kevin



[Edited at 2003-08-14 08:31]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
普通支票最好 Aug 14, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

我请过一些大陆的翻译合作,给有些翻译付款实在是“千辛万苦”,居然有让我从信封里夹寄现金的,或重复邮寄支票,对方都没收到的,我就无法继续与这类翻译合作了。

[Edited at 2003-08-13 18:12]


我给国内的同行寄过好几次,每次都没问题。他们应该有一个美元帐户(可以很容易地开)。收钱可能慢一些,但是寄钱的一方没有手续费。寄钱的一方最好单独开一个帐户,只放足够支付支票的钱在里面,以防支票欺诈。现金太麻烦了。


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxLinguaText
English to Chinese
+ ...
How does it run in China? Sep 22, 2003

I'm a freelancer working only with international company except a few placements in interpretation projects. But they paid me on the spot.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Libin, Mar 20, 2004

以 前 也 有 客 户 向 我 了 解 简 体 字 / 繁 体 字 问 题 , 还 有 广 东 话 等 等 , 我 一 般 性 地 简 单 答 复 也 就 解 决 了 问 题 。 但 前 几 天 有 一 客 户 反 复 询 问 , 最 后 我 想 起 了 你 的 “ Chinese FAQs ", 於 是 赶 快 把 你 的 网 址 提 供 给 他 , 这 才 解 决 问 题 。

就 此 , 表 示 十 分 感 谢 ! 如 你 同 意 , 我 打 算 将 你 的 网 址 : http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html
加 在 我 的 网 页 里 。

[Edited at 2004-03-20 15:20]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are welcome. Mar 22, 2004

Dear Chance,

Thank you for your email. You are more than welcome to put a link of the Chinese FAQs on you page.

Kind regards,

Li Bin



chance wrote:

以 前 也 有 客 户 向 我 了 解 简 体 字 / 繁 体 字 问 题 , 还 有 广 东 话 等 等 , 我 一 般 性 地 简 单 答 复 也 就 解 决 了 问 题 。 但 前 几 天 有 一 客 户 反 复 询 问 , 最 后 我 想 起 了 你 的 “ Chinese FAQs ", 於 是 赶 快 把 你 的 网 址 提 供 给 他 , 这 才 解 决 问 题 。

就 此 , 表 示 十 分 感 谢 ! 如 你 同 意 , 我 打 算 将 你 的 网 址 : http://www.asiana.com/faqs.html
加 在 我 的 网 页 里 。

[Edited at 2004-03-20 15:20]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese FAQs for Students of Chinese and Project Managers who handle Chinese.

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs