United States
Local time: 14:59
Chinese to English
+ ...
Understandable Nov 28, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

抱歉,因为在投票阶段不允许讨论具体译文,所以将我举的两个例子删掉了。

希望大家见谅。

Yes, I've jumped the gun before during one of the past contests. But it was more aimed at the selection of the contest text

[Edited at 2008-11-28 15:43 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 15:59
TOPIC STARTER
A pity, Nov 28, 2008

wherestip wrote:

Yes, I've jumped the gun before during one of the past contests. But it was more aimed at the selection of the contest text

that we can't talk about the translations now. Some of them won't make it to the final round. I am afraid I will foget the translations and the comments then.

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:59
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
这规则挺有道理 Nov 28, 2008

你没说,还真没注意。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
Chinese to English
+ ...
Observing the Rules Nov 28, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

A pity, that we can't talk about the translations now. Some of them won't make it to the final round. I am afraid I will foget the translations and the comments then.

That's true. I don't see any harm in free discussions after the submission phase is over with either. That was also my thinking the last time I made the mistake of piping up too soon. Just like you said, I don't think I tried to make my point again when it was eventually permissible to do so. 可以说是过了这个村儿就没这个店了.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that regardless, the contest this time adopted the suggestion I wanted to make, which was to provide more context of the original literary pieces that the contest passages were chosen from.

[Edited at 2008-11-28 16:17 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
翻译比赛稿件——德文 Nov 28, 2008

这次的德文稿件选自一个德国人的西藏游记。我看到文稿后立刻和主管比赛的管理员联系,认为这篇文章作翻译竞赛文稿不合适。但是Romina说她已经收到了好几份比赛译稿,没法再改动了。据她讲找到德文稿件还是颇费了一番周折,因为先后有三个作者不同意用他们的文章作翻译比赛稿件。费了好大劲才找到这个西藏游记的作者。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
True Nov 28, 2008

wherestip wrote:

Anyway, I'm happy to see that regardless, the contest this time adopted the suggestion I wanted to make, which was to provide more context of the original literary pieces that the contest passages were chosen from.

I feel being handicapped to do literary translation without context. Very often, only after a few pages of a book, I start to have an idea what it is about.

I used to have this problem with foreign films, would always try to be in the cinema a bit earlier if it was not a Chinese film.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
TOPIC STARTER
中西文化的差别 Nov 28, 2008

sk8ariel wrote:

时间那个我觉得这样翻不行的,因为文学作品也好,作者这样写一定有其特定意义的。
第二个我同意你的观点,余光中先生也有说道过“之一”这个问题,是有些过了。中文现在受外语的影响太大了。未必是好事。

我们中国人在时间上一般不是那么精确。例如有人问你,你等了多长时间?我们一般是用一个大约的概念:几分钟、六七分钟、不到十分钟、半个小时左右、不到四十分钟等等…… 很少有人会讲39分钟。好像我们的民族文化比较注重中庸,喜欢用模棱两可,可作多种解释的词汇。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
文化與個性 Nov 28, 2008

這可能不是文化的問題,有些人是分秒都算清楚的,這表現出事事都有番執著,做人很有原則,一絲不苟。說年份,大多數人都會說2零零9年,但偏偏要說2千零9年。這不是對與錯的問題,39分鐘就是39分鐘。小學時讀過《差不多先生傳》,說的就是不要做個『差不多』先生。http://www.skhsbs.edu.hk/chi/ref/Artical/166.htm

[Edited at 2008-11-28 22:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2008-11-28 22:18 GMT]

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
why no discussion here and now Nov 28, 2008

I have been thinking what's the rational behind the rule of "no-discussion of the contest entries" during the qualification and voting rounds.

As I understand, there is such a rule. Perhaps I am slow. Can anyone enlighten me a little.

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
节选 Nov 29, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

这次的德文稿件选自一个德国人的西藏游记。我看到文稿后立刻和主管比赛的管理员联系,认为这篇文章作翻译竞赛文稿不合适。但是Romina说她已经收到了好几份比赛译稿,没法再改动了。据她讲找到德文稿件还是颇费了一番周折,因为先后有三个作者不同意用他们的文章作翻译比赛稿件。费了好大劲才找到这个西藏游记的作者。

想必是西藏的怕引起敏感话题。

其实文学类型的题材,作品可选择范围反而广,任意的一篇都可从中节选,被选中文章的原作者还能提高知名度,何乐而不为。

[Edited at 2008-11-29 01:10 GMT]

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
出于公平考虑吧 Nov 29, 2008

dumont wrote:

I have been thinking what's the rational behind the rule of "no-discussion of the contest entries" during the qualification and voting rounds.

As I understand, there is such a rule. Perhaps I am slow. Can anyone enlighten me a little.

首先声明,真实的原因我也不知道。个人认为,可能是怕参赛者无意中透露自己的译作是哪篇,从而获得友好者的追捧,不友好者的吹毛求疵。

[Edited at 2008-11-29 02:43 GMT]

CHEN-Ling
CHEN-Ling  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
agree/disagree Nov 29, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:
刚才看了一下翻译比赛的译文和评语。感觉有些评语不够中肯,似乎有吹毛求疵之嫌。
例如 ...
还有一个...
如此种种,还有很多,在此不一一例举。

[Edited at 2008-11-28 15:15 GMT]

我觉得后面agree/disagree的选项非常好。:)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

是否有吹毛求疵之嫌?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »