Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 20:58
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Dec 2, 2008

Hi all,

I started using Microsoft Word 2008 a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over the fact that its WORDCOUNT function does not give an Asian character count. With my previous version of WORD, I was able to know the number of Chinese characters in an English/Chinese file.

What software do you use to do Chinese character count? I found Count Anything but this is a Windows-based application. I need something that works on Mac. Is anyone using AnyCount? Is
... See more
Hi all,

I started using Microsoft Word 2008 a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over the fact that its WORDCOUNT function does not give an Asian character count. With my previous version of WORD, I was able to know the number of Chinese characters in an English/Chinese file.

What software do you use to do Chinese character count? I found Count Anything but this is a Windows-based application. I need something that works on Mac. Is anyone using AnyCount? Is it accurate when it comes to counting Chinese characters?

Denyce
Collapse

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
精准 Dec 2, 2008

要这么精确?能用上字数统计软件的原稿是非word文稿,图片居多,建议按份来算钱,如果没这种软件,难道一个个字来数?时间精力也划不来,况且图片的原稿也不好伺候。客户说(设计对白),“其他人有这个软件,或其他人可以把字统计出来,就你没。”这行业将任人宰割。

[Edited at 2008-12-02 07:06 GMT]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Target word count Dec 2, 2008

I use target word count in this situation. At adjusted rate, of course. I don't really mind diagrams and uneditable formats. Life is a game of give and take, isn't it? I have clients who pay me the full rate for repetitions.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 07:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Character count software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »