Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 04:27
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Dec 2, 2008

Hi all,

I started using Microsoft Word 2008 a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over the fact that its WORDCOUNT function does not give an Asian character count. With my previous version of WORD, I was able to know the number of Chinese characters in an English/Chinese file.

What software do you use to do Chinese character count? I found Count Anything but this is a Windows-based application. I need something that works on Mac. Is anyone using AnyCount? Is
... See more
Hi all,

I started using Microsoft Word 2008 a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over the fact that its WORDCOUNT function does not give an Asian character count. With my previous version of WORD, I was able to know the number of Chinese characters in an English/Chinese file.

What software do you use to do Chinese character count? I found Count Anything but this is a Windows-based application. I need something that works on Mac. Is anyone using AnyCount? Is it accurate when it comes to counting Chinese characters?

Denyce
Collapse

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
精准 Dec 2, 2008

要这么精确?能用上字数统计软件的原稿是非word文稿,图片居多,建议按份来算钱,如果没这种软件,难道一个个字来数?时间精力也划不来,况且图片的原稿也不好伺候。客户说(设计对白),“其他人有这个软件,或其他人可以把字统计出来,就你没。”这行业将任人宰割。

[Edited at 2008-12-02 07:06 GMT]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Target word count Dec 2, 2008

I use target word count in this situation. At adjusted rate, of course. I don't really mind diagrams and uneditable formats. Life is a game of give and take, isn't it? I have clients who pay me the full rate for repetitions.

[Edited at 2008-12-02 07:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Character count software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »