Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Out of the blue (Winner of Chinese to English translation contest)
Thread poster: Alan Wang
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Chinese source text Jan 2, 2009

Donglai Lou wrote:

这篇文章是我节选的,没选好,对不起大家。

Donglai,

I'm sorry that I was so frank about my opinion of the original source text. I don't think you need to apologize or feel bad though.

To find a decent text that falls into the main contest theme of "Awakening" is not an easy thing to do, if not near impossible. Plus IMO the abridged segment used in the contest was indeed far better in content and style than the rest of the blog.

[Edited at 2009-01-02 14:36 GMT]

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
awakening Jan 2, 2009

I agree. I think it could be the only one in town.

But as far as translation competition goes, it should serve its purpose right. It’s not a literature competition. Bloggers hardly meant their piece of writings to be Pulitzer candidates. I suppose this writer was getting a piece of awakening not long before writing it. My respect for him. He was a different caliber from scholars like Fan Paopao who wrote his piece of awakening with his action he feels no regret of.

wherestip wrote:

Donglai Lou wrote:

这篇文章是我节选的,没选好,对不起大家。

Donglai,

I'm sorry that I was so frank about my opinion of the original source text. I don't think you need to apologize or feel bad.

To find a decent text that falls into the main contest theme of "Awakening" is not an easy thing to do, if not near impossible. Plus IMO the abridged segment used in the contest was indeed far better in content and style than the rest of the blog.

[Edited at 2009-01-02 13:06 GMT]

ShelleyX
ShelleyX  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Donglai Jan 2, 2009

Don't feel sorry. As the source text for a translation test, it served its purpose well.

And if the text was taken from the author's blog, then its style and theme became totally understandable. Isn't a blog supposed to be one's personal experimental field? I really shouldn't have passed any judgment uninvited. I should say sorry to the author.

Donglai Lou wrote:

这篇文章是我节选的,没选好,对不起大家。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 00:08
知道错了就好 Jan 3, 2009

Donglai Lou wrote:

这篇文章是我节选的,没选好,对不起大家。

出了这种事,Donglai的心里比谁都难受……

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Jan 3, 2009

ShelleyX wrote:

Donglai

Don't feel sorry. As the source text for a translation test, it served its purpose well.

我们搞翻译的,不是经常会遇到费解的原文吗?有时我们甚至还会遇到 nonsense,我们还不是得尽量使自己的译文 make sense 吗?所以,这也是一种功夫。

当然,比赛用的原文应该尽量选得好一些,但无论如何,应该说关键并不在此。对 Paul 的译文尽可以有不同的看法,他的译文难免会有瑕疵,但他的得分远高于其他参赛者。尽管投票者会有不同的衡量标准,即使采用同样的标准,掌握标准的尺度也会有所不同,但从统计学角度来看,最后的结果应该说是有代表性的。投票人数越多,代表性就越强。这就是为什么无论是谁得第一名,我们都应该尊重这个结果的道理。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
比赛选文最好不要设具体的主题 Jan 4, 2009

这次用Awakening做主题,实际上限制了选文范围,要找到合适的文章就很难。选文条件应宽泛一些,比如选说明文、小说还是散文等。或者在风格上做一个大体的限制就可以。不要设主题,否则很难选到合适的文章。

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
model Jan 4, 2009

同意楼上孙先生意见,我承认我起的这个thread也许有点作秀的意味。

这里有些话说出来是为了团结,紧张,严肃,活泼。既讨论一些实际问题,也不是真为了贬低别人而抬高自己。因为即使是想抬高自己,并不见得就一定要贬低别人。我对Paul是非常钦佩的。可说是语言大师,艺术家,等等,成就斐然非我等可比。当然您孙先生也是这样,专业造诣和语言功夫也是我学习的榜样。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
强中自有强中手 Jan 4, 2009

Dumont,

我上面那番话的主要意思是 Donglai 不必过分自责。尽管原文选得不是大好,但并不影响这次比赛的公正性。俗话讲,“大家容易大家难”。

你在此评论别人的译文,展示自己的才能,都是无可非议的。但若能多看看别人的长处和自己的短处,那是很有好处的。

至于我,你可太过奖了。我还是有自知之明的。人各有长处和短处,咱们相互学习吧!

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Paul 的表达确实不错 Jan 7, 2009

今天翻译一份 marketing 稿件,从 Paul 的译文中抄走了一句。:D

[Edited at 2009-01-07 11:28 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 16:08
Chinese to English
Chinese to German 中译德 Mar 10, 2009

现在我奇怪...

一个Profile 上没提到中文的一位同仁,赛上怎么会得第一名呢? 论坛已谈到这件事吗?
德语为第二语言的同仁们也许更熟悉一些是吗。

http://www.proz.com/profile/118209

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
中译德和中译英 Mar 4, 2010

chica nueva wrote:

现在我奇怪...

一个Profile 上没提到中文的一位同仁,赛上怎么会得第一名呢? 论坛已谈到这件事吗?
德语为第二语言的同仁们也许更熟悉一些是吗。

http://www.proz.com/profile/118209

Lesley,

惊闻智利发生强烈地震。希望你能安然无恙。

中译德、中译英比赛的奖牌得主分别是母语为德语的Roland Nienerza和母语为英语的Paul Hirsh。此事其实一点都不值得奇怪。同样,英译中比赛奖牌得主都是些母语为汉语的同仁,有谁会感到奇怪?Roland Nienerza还在Spanish to German和Italian to German的翻译比赛中获奖。译入自己的母语毕竟是一种有利条件。

Paul Hirsh也不但在第一届中译英比赛中获得第一名,还在第一届法译英比赛、第三届俄译英比赛中独占鳌头。看来他们在语言方面一定是下了许多功夫。他们才是真正读了很多书的人。牛真的不是靠吹出来的!
http://www.proz.com/profile/108604

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
从外语译入自己的母语 Jun 26, 2012

今天某些同事谈及母语,不禁又使我想起这场讨论。

对于文学作品,从外语译入自己的母语肯定比译入某种外语要得心应手得多。这两位夺冠者的得分遥遥领先于其他参赛者,就足以说明这一点。现在中文很棒的外国人越来越多。不服气是不行的。

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: Ch
... See more
今天某些同事谈及母语,不禁又使我想起这场讨论。

对于文学作品,从外语译入自己的母语肯定比译入某种外语要得心应手得多。这两位夺冠者的得分遥遥领先于其他参赛者,就足以说明这一点。现在中文很棒的外国人越来越多。不服气是不行的。

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: Chinese to German
http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=past_contests&sp_sub_mode=view_language&ctlid=1190

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: Chinese to English
http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=past_contests&sp_sub_mode=view_language&ctlid=1148

BTW, Lesley is back to New Zealand, safe and sound.
Collapse

Shiya Luo
Shiya Luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
文学翻译远不同于其它 Jun 26, 2012

ysun wrote:

对于文学作品,从外语译入自己的母语肯定比译入某种外语要得心应手得多。

即使英译中,我也不敢接文学作品翻译。

就连少儿读物,哈利波特,给我翻译也很难有人民文学出版社的水平,而且评价太主观了。我曾经的语文老师在当代文学上颇有造诣,他说文学翻译没几个知名出版社不是垃圾的。为了避免被他这样真正有水平的人骂,再多的钱我也不会去翻译文学作品。

[Edited at 2012-06-26 18:04 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Thanks Jun 26, 2012

This was before my time, so I'm reading it for the first time now. Very interesting.

Shiya - I'm just making my first attempt at literary translation for a UK competition. It's nervewracking. Stray too far from the text, and I'm just a traduttore; stay too close to the text and it's got
... See more
This was before my time, so I'm reading it for the first time now. Very interesting.

Shiya - I'm just making my first attempt at literary translation for a UK competition. It's nervewracking. Stray too far from the text, and I'm just a traduttore; stay too close to the text and it's got no spark.
http://www.vintage-books.co.uk/about-us/harvill-secker/harvill_secker_young_translators_prize/
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good Luck on the Competition Jun 26, 2012

http://www.proz.com/post/1072795#1072795

Phil,

Here's another thread where the discussion largely centered on whether the C->E translation done by a native English speaker was adequate. It was kind of a long drawn out Marathon session. But you might also find it interesting.

Good luck on the competition. We're rooting for you....
See more
http://www.proz.com/post/1072795#1072795

Phil,

Here's another thread where the discussion largely centered on whether the C->E translation done by a native English speaker was adequate. It was kind of a long drawn out Marathon session. But you might also find it interesting.

Good luck on the competition. We're rooting for you.

[Edited at 2012-06-27 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Out of the blue (Winner of Chinese to English translation contest)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »