Traditional and Simplified Chinese: request for advice from non-Chinese speaker
Thread poster: Robin Hardy-King

Robin Hardy-King
Local time: 08:02
French to English
Jan 21, 2009

I need to have some documents proof-read, some in each form of Chinese. Can any Chinese translator handle both, or do I need to find someone outside PRC for the Traditional?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 03:02
How to choose a translator? Jan 21, 2009

Ideally, you would consider hiring a translator from Taiwan for mandarin (non-dialectal) TC translations, a translator from Hong Kong or Macao for specifically targetted TC markets and a translator from Mainland China or Singapore for simplified Chinese translations.

But sometimes, when a native TC or SC translator is not available to you (a number of factors including pricing, location, etc), you may consider using, for example, a Taiwanese, Hong Kong or Macao, etc translator for SC translation, and a Mainland China or Singaporean, etc translator for TC translation, etc. provided he/she is experienced in the target system.

The fact is, almost all professional (full-time, experienced freelance) translators do both translations in the market. Anyway, the differences between the two systems (from dialectal point of view) are probably no bigger than those of the American English and British English.

*This article lists some major Chinese speaking countries and areas only. Obviously, in an article of this scale, it is impossible to list all the countries/areas that use TC and/or SC.

It is NOT the author’s intention to say only translators living in the countries/areas mentioned have necessary skills and/or resources to do TC or SC translations.

To read the full article:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/524/

Robin Hardy-King
Local time: 08:02
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. That was very helpful. Jan 21, 2009

Thank you. That was very helpful.

eng2chi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
i handle both of the SC and HKTC Jan 22, 2009

i handle both of the SC and HKTC..

SC is my native tongue, so it is not a hard task. I think there are many excellent SC translators.

I learn to use HKTC (I mean the formal, written style - the spoken Cantonese is a different story) in HK for ten years, thus capable of handling such type of cases in general. However I am still learning and observing it... So I don't think a translator purely growing in Mainland can handle HKTC (or TWTC) very well.

But fortunately SC and formal HKTC are somehow converging (in a long run) due to their tight interaction, so you may argue with clients that the two are the same in many aspects, particularly after you have taken obvious terminology/style difference into account.

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 03:02
More problem with Hongkong Chinese Jan 22, 2009

eng2chi wrote:

I learn to use HKTC (I mean the formal, written style - the spoken Cantonese is a different story) in HK for ten years, thus capable of handling such type of cases in general. However I am still learning and observing it... So I don't think a translator purely growing in Mainland can handle HKTC (or TWTC) very well.

From my experience as a tour guide, I have more communication problem with Hongkong Chinese, who don't speak and understand Mandarin well, whereas the Taiwan Chinese are so good at Mandarin, that I can just handle them as mainland Chinese.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traditional and Simplified Chinese: request for advice from non-Chinese speaker

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums