Thread poster: Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:23
English to German
Feb 13, 2009

大家好

Sorry if someone said it before, it takes me ages to look through Chinese threads: In a recent translation contest there was a text (German) that could have been interpreted as describing independence of Tibet as desirable. Might that be the reason for the block?

Any other news on the issue?

Ulrich

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 10:23
Have noticed the problem long before Feb 13, 2009

I complained about it as soon as I saw the source text in German. I submitted a support ticket as below:

Dear staff members:
The source text in German revolves around a very sensitive topic - about Tibet...
For the reason mentioned above, I am afraid no German-Chinese translators in mainland China would participate in the contest. To make it fair, I wonder if it is possible to add another source text in German?

Yours
Bin Tiede

I got the f
... See more
I complained about it as soon as I saw the source text in German. I submitted a support ticket as below:

Dear staff members:
The source text in German revolves around a very sensitive topic - about Tibet...
For the reason mentioned above, I am afraid no German-Chinese translators in mainland China would participate in the contest. To make it fair, I wonder if it is possible to add another source text in German?

Yours
Bin Tiede

I got the following answer:

Dear Bin,

Thanks for your support of the site and for your interest in the contest.

As you know, presenting a German source text for this contest has required a lot of effort since the other German source text that had originally been selected could not be presented. Another member suggested this text. I was aware of the subject but in the contest FAQ, a situation like this one is contemplated in http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contests.4

"the viewpoints expressed in the content of the source texts are not endorsed by site staff or contestants. ProZ.com contests call upon language professionals to show their translating skills without regard to their own viewpoints."

I'm sorry to learn that some members will not be able to enter the contest. Unfortunately, since the German source text has received some entries and some pairs already have the required number for voting to take place, I don't think it will be fair on the participants to change the text at this point in time.

Would you like to be involved in the source text selection for an upcoming contest?

Please let me know.

Best regards,

RominaZ
ProZ.com Staff

[Edited at 2009-02-13 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

Bea Geenen
Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Sensitive KudoZ question Feb 13, 2009

Hi!

I'm glad you brought up the topic because I have been having the same problem in the last few weeks. In my opinion, this might have been caused by a sensitive KudoZ question asked a couple of months back by one of the members. He was asking about the English translation of a banned political party. If too many of us rightclicked on the Chinese name to Google it, it might have triggered the block.

Very annoying indeed. Hope it will be lifted soon.

Regard
... See more
Hi!

I'm glad you brought up the topic because I have been having the same problem in the last few weeks. In my opinion, this might have been caused by a sensitive KudoZ question asked a couple of months back by one of the members. He was asking about the English translation of a banned political party. If too many of us rightclicked on the Chinese name to Google it, it might have triggered the block.

Very annoying indeed. Hope it will be lifted soon.

Regards,

Bea
Collapse

Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:23
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
doubt it Feb 22, 2009

I don't think a question for a party's name could have been the reason. After all, in order to criticise a party you also would have to refer to its name. If it worked like that, many government friendly sites should be blocked as well.

The translation contest text is different as it could be understood to carry a political message endorsed by Proz. I think Chinese censorship often is intended to punish the publisher with being excluded from the Chinese market. Works for proz...
... See more
I don't think a question for a party's name could have been the reason. After all, in order to criticise a party you also would have to refer to its name. If it worked like that, many government friendly sites should be blocked as well.

The translation contest text is different as it could be understood to carry a political message endorsed by Proz. I think Chinese censorship often is intended to punish the publisher with being excluded from the Chinese market. Works for proz...

I find the choice of text somewhat insensitive. I don't approve of censorship, but think trying to avoid politics would be a good guideline for an international translation site.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-02-23 05:30 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:23
Chinese to English
Kudoz-answering technique Feb 23, 2009

也许是我那个回答Kudoz 的方式, ... Mods 怎么认为。

[Edited at 2009-02-24 23:30 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:23
Chinese to English
FLG Mar 12, 2009

Perhaps it is because 'Epoch Times' has been used in Glossary-Building ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz inaccessibility, once more

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »