Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29] >
一个英国人的汉译英试译(以此接得某大项目)
Thread poster: Alan Wang
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

Steve,

Yes, there are many ways to correct them. For example, the second sentence may also be changed into “When I was standing on the top of the hill, the people below looked like small toys.”

Yueyin,

Sure. English is very flexible in that there are many ways to phrase a sentence and express the same thing - I think this is one of the things we've both been saying in this thread.

For this last sentence, one can also say for example,

From the top of the hill, people down below looked like small toys.

People down below looked like small toys from where we were standing at the top of the hill.

The people below looked like small toys from our vantage point at the top of the hill.

etc., etc.

A lot of times it is a matter of preference.

[Edited at 2009-04-05 01:51 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 19:45
Chinese to English
grading the translations: 1 native-like 2 plain English 3 technically correct Apr 5, 2009

dumont wrote:

I have a (I think) good idea to resolve the "native" issue that has been so much in Mr. Steve's mind.
Or at least a goodish idea.

We can have the translation done by the "native" (at least that's what Mr. Steve so fervently believes) posted on a place somewhere in the site where true English natives can be invited in some workable numbers to comment on its "nativity", without the original Chinese since it's not really necessary for the purpose.

Further, we can have the one done by me posted alongside it or following it, and let the same native people comment on its "non-nativity".

In addition, it would be so much the better, if the commenter can be invited to grade the two works in nativity or non-nativity. If my score is so much as one iota lower than that of the one compared to, I will promise to admit wrong doing of whatever and even apologize to Mr. Steve for the perceived insults he thinks he has sustained from my clumsy remarks, as he deems appropriate.

I guess the off topic forum would be one of the places worth considering?

Hi Dumont

I like this idea of yours. What do you think of this (below)? I thought of posting it here: http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/131941-are_the_concepts_behind_plain_english_accepted_in_your_source_language.html?start=0

Lesley

Dear ProZ.com Peers

Chinese text translations: Choose the: 1 most native-like 2 Plainest English 3 most technically correct translation overall. (We have been discussing the text below in the Chinese Forum, and would appreciate your comments.)

Thank you very much!

Lesley

1250型混捏成套设备用于碳素产品的混捏工序。此工序主要由配料工步、混捏工步、热糊料出料工步、热糊料冷却工步、冷糊料出料工步等五个工步组成。在开始的配料工序阶段,采用失重称量法把需要称重且符合工艺 要求的粉料和沥青,按照要求的配比比例加入到混捏机的混捏腔内。完成粉料加料后,预混物料、混捏物料。预混、混捏的工艺要求温度180-250℃。混捏机的混捏腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度180-280 ℃的循环使用的热导热油,加热混捏糊料。物料混捏合格,达到工艺要求后,把混捏好的热糊料放置到冷却机的冷却腔内冷却。冷却机的冷却腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度35-40℃的循环使用的冷导热油,热糊料 在此冷却。待糊料冷却到70℃后,将 冷糊料放置到ACM的进料料斗。

a The kneading equipment set ‘Model 1250’ is used for the process of kneading carbon products. This process consists of five main stages: batch feeding, kneading, discharging of hot paste, cooling of hot paste, and discharging of cold paste. During the initial batch feeding stage, making use of the loss-of-weight method, powders and asphalt that need weighing and comply with the process requirements are placed into the kneading cavity of the kneading device according to the required mixture proportions. After all of the powders have been added, the materials are premixed and kneaded. The required temperature during the premixing and kneading stage is between 180 and 250℃. The kneading cavity of the kneading device has a double-layer structure. This layered structure creates a jacket between which circulates a heat-conducting oil, at a temperature of 180-280℃, heating the kneading paste within. After kneading of the materials has been completed to the standards of the process requirements, the hot kneaded paste is then transferred into the cooling cavity of the cooling device for refrigeration. The cooling cavity of the cooling device has a double-layer structure. This layered structure creates a jacket between which circulates a heat-conducting oil, at a temperature of 35-40℃, cooling the hot paste within. After it has been cooled to 70℃, the cold paste is transferred into the feeding hopper of the ACM.

b The type 1250 kneading complete set of equipment is used for kneading process of carbonic product. This process consists of five working steps: dosing, kneading, discharging hot carbon paste, cooling hot paste and discharging cold carbon paste. At the initial working step of dosing, weigh powder and asphalt which need weighing and accord with technologic requirements with weight loss method, and add the stuff into kneading cavity of kneader according to proportion ratio required. Premix and knead materials after feeding powder. The working steps of premixing and kneading need a temperature of 180-250℃. The kneading cavity of kneader has a. bilayer system .The hot heat-conducting oil with a temperature of 180-280℃ circulates in the jacket of this structure and heats kneading paste. When the kneaded materials qualifies technologic requirements, place the hot kneaded carbon paste into cooling cavity of cooling machine and cool it. The cooling cavity of cooling machine has a. bilayer system. The cold heat-conducting oil with a temperature of 35-40℃ circulates in the jacket of this structure and cools hot carbon paste. When the temperature of carbon paste falls to 70℃, place the cold paste into the hopper of the ACM.

c The 1250 Model Mixer-Kneader is used in the mixing and kneading of carbon products. This process comprises five main steps: preparing the ingredients, mixing and kneading, discharge of the hot-paste, cooling of the hot-paste, and discharge of the cold-paste. In the initial ingredients preparation stage, using the loss-of-weight weighing method, add the powders and pitch, weighed and according to the requirements of the process, into the chamber of the mixer-kneader machine in the required formulation ratio. When this has been done the material is pre-mixed and kneaded. The pre-mixing and kneading process requires a temperature of 180-250°C. The mixer-kneader chamber of the mixer-kneader machine is a two-layered structure; the inner-lining of this structure connects to circulating heat-conducting oil at 180-280°C, and the paste is heated and kneaded. When the material has been mixed and kneaded satisfactorily, and meets the requirements of the process, put the kneaded hot-paste into the cooling chamber of the cooler, and cool. The cooling chamber of the cooler is a two-layered structure; the inner-lining of this structure connects to circulating heat-conducting oil at 35-40°C, and the hot-paste is cooled here. Wait until after the paste has cooled to 70°C, then put the cold-paste into the feed-hopper of the ACM.

d Model 1250 mixer/kneader is used in the processing of carbon products. The process consists of five procedures as ingredients dispensing, mixing/kneading, hot paste discharging, paste cooling, cold paste discharging. In the initial ingredients dispensing stage, powder filler and tar conforming to process requirements are weighed using weight loss scale and fed, in accordance with the specified mixing ratio, into the cavity of the mixer/kneader. After the powder particles are fed into the mixer cavity, the stages of premixing and kneading begin at the required processing temperature of 180-250℃. The cavity of the mixer/kneader is equipped with a double jacket containing 180-280℃ circulating oil to heat up and mix/knead the paste. After the materials are mixed/kneaded to process requirement, the hot paste is discharged into the cooler to cool down. The cooler cavity is equipped with a double jacket containing 35-40℃ circulating oil by which the hot paste is cooled to a temperature of 70℃ and then discharged into the ACM feed hopper.

Sentence 1:
1250型混捏成套设备用于碳素产品的混捏工序。
a The kneading equipment set ‘Model 1250’ is used for the process of kneading carbon products.
b The type 1250 kneading complete set of equipment is used for kneading process of carbonic product.
c The 1250 Model Mixer-Kneader is used in the mixing and kneading of carbon products.
d Model 1250 mixer/kneader is used in the processing of carbon products.

Sentence 2:
此工序主要由配料工步、混捏工步、热糊料出料工步、热糊料冷却工步、冷糊料出料工步等五个工步组成。
a This process consists of five main stages: batch feeding, kneading, discharging of hot paste, cooling of hot paste, and discharging of cold paste.
b This process consists of five working steps: dosing, kneading, discharging hot carbon paste, cooling hot paste and discharging cold carbon paste.
c This process comprises five main steps: preparing the ingredients, mixing and kneading, discharge of the hot-paste, cooling of the hot-paste, and discharge of the cold-paste.
d The process consists of five procedures as ingredients dispensing, mixing/kneading, hot paste discharging, paste cooling, cold paste discharging.

Sentence 3:
在开始的配料工序阶段,采用失重称量法把需要称重且符合工艺 要求的粉料和沥青,按照要求的配比比例加入到混捏机的混捏腔内。
a During the initial batch feeding stage, making use of the loss-of-weight method, powders and asphalt that need weighing and comply with the process requirements are placed into the kneading cavity of the kneading device according to the required mixture proportions.
b At the initial working step of dosing, weigh powder and asphalt which need weighing and accord with technologic requirements with weight loss method, and add the stuff into kneading cavity of kneader according to proportion ratio required.
c In the initial ingredients preparation stage, using the loss-of-weight weighing method, add the powders and pitch, weighed and according to the requirements of the process, into the chamber of the mixer-kneader machine in the required formulation ratio.
d In the initial ingredients dispensing stage, powder filler and tar conforming to process requirements are weighed using weight loss scale and fed, in accordance with the specified mixing ratio, into the cavity of the mixer/kneader.

Sentences 4,5,6:
完成粉料加料后,预混物料、混捏物料。预混、混捏的工艺要求温度180-250℃。混捏机的混捏腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度180-280 ℃的循环使用的热导热油,加热混捏糊料。
a After all of the powders have been added, the materials are premixed and kneaded. The required temperature during the premixing and kneading stage is between 180 and 250℃. The kneading cavity of the kneading device has a double-layer structure. This layered structure creates a jacket between which circulates a heat-conducting oil, at a temperature of 180-280℃, heating the kneading paste within.
b Premix and knead materials after feeding powder. The working steps of premixing and kneading need a temperature of 180-250℃. The kneading cavity of kneader has a. bilayer system .The hot heat-conducting oil with a temperature of 180-280℃ circulates in the jacket of this structure and heats kneading paste.
c When this has been done the material is pre-mixed and kneaded. The pre-mixing and kneading process requires a temperature of 180-250°C. The mixer-kneader chamber of the mixer-kneader machine is a two-layered structure; the inner-lining of this structure connects to circulating heat-conducting oil at 180-280°C, and the paste is heated and kneaded.
d After the powder particles are fed into the mixer cavity, the stages of premixing and kneading begin at the required processing temperature of 180-250℃. The cavity of the mixer/kneader is equipped with a double jacket containing 180-280℃ circulating oil to heat up and mix/knead the paste.

Sentences 7,8:
物料混捏合格,达到工艺要求后,把混捏好的热糊料放置到冷却机的冷却腔内冷却。冷却机的冷却腔是双层结构,双层结构的夹套内通温度35-40℃的循环使用的冷导热油,热糊料在此冷却。待糊料冷却到70℃后,将 冷糊料放置到ACM的进料料斗。
a After kneading of the materials has been completed to the standards of the process requirements, the hot kneaded paste is then transferred into the cooling cavity of the cooling device for refrigeration. The cooling cavity of the cooling device has a double-layer structure. This layered structure creates a jacket between which circulates a heat-conducting oil, at a temperature of 35-40℃, cooling the hot paste within. After it has been cooled to 70℃, the cold paste is transferred into the feeding hopper of the ACM.
b When the kneaded materials qualifies technologic requirements, place the hot kneaded carbon paste into cooling cavity of cooling machine and cool it. The cooling cavity of cooling machine has a. bilayer system. The cold heat-conducting oil with a temperature of 35-40℃ circulates in the jacket of this structure and cools hot carbon paste. When the temperature of carbon paste falls to 70℃, place the cold paste into the hopper of the ACM.
c When the material has been mixed and kneaded satisfactorily, and meets the requirements of the process, put the kneaded hot-paste into the cooling chamber of the cooler, and cool. The cooling chamber of the cooler is a two-layered structure; the inner-lining of this structure connects to circulating heat-conducting oil at 35-40°C, and the hot-paste is cooled here. Wait until after the paste has cooled to 70°C, then put the cold-paste into the feed-hopper of the ACM.
d After the materials are mixed/kneaded to process requirement, the hot paste is discharged into the cooler to cool down. The cooler cavity is equipped with a double jacket containing 35-40℃ circulating oil by which the hot paste is cooled to a temperature of 70℃ and then discharged into the ACM feed hopper.

[ Technical references:
http://www.indiacarbonltd.com/products.htm
http://www.indiacarbonltd.com/images/flowchart.jpg ]

[Edited at 2009-04-05 08:11 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
兰州化石城? Apr 5, 2009

I was really amused when I saw 兰州石化城 had been translated into “Lanzhou Petrifaction City” at this link.

http://www.lzshc.com/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=38

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Totally agree Apr 5, 2009

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

Steve,

Yes, there are many ways to correct them. For example, the second sentence may also be changed into “When I was standing on the top of the hill, the people below looked like small toys.”

Yueyin,

Sure. English is very flexible in the sense that there are many ways to phrase a sentence and express the same thing - I think this is one of the things we've both been saying in this thread.

People down below looked like small toys from where we were standing at the top of the hill.

The people below looked like small toys from our vantage point at the top of the hill.

etc., etc.

[Edited at 2009-04-05 00:46 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 19:45
Chinese to English
热导油 = heat-conducting oil vs thermic oil; 配比 recipe (vs formulation 配方;剂型) Apr 5, 2009

1 heat conducting oil vs thermic fluid: Following this, pre-determined quantities of different fractions are weighed and transferred to a Sigma Mixer which is heated to about 150ºC by thermic fluid. ... See more
1 heat conducting oil vs thermic fluid: Following this, pre-determined quantities of different fractions are weighed and transferred to a Sigma Mixer which is heated to about 150ºC by thermic fluid.
http://www.indiacarbonltd.com/products.htm#ecp
http://www.indiacarbonltd.com/products.htm#tamping

2 (dry aggregate) recipe = (干料)配比
http://www.chemyq.com/expert/ep8/79691_E256C.htm
通过调整干料配比提高阳极质量的实践
Practice of improving the quality of anode by adjusting the dry aggregate recipe

配方、(剂型)
http://www.lhhy.cn/Article/fyyd/englishwords/dicuts/200704/11725.html
Formulation

@ Yueyin

3 'petrifaction'? goodness. I did go to Lanzhou but I'm afraid I didn't take in the refinery. I have a picture of it in a souvenir booklet published by Gansu People's Publishing House though.

4 You will be familiar with insecticide formulations 剂型 eg granules, wettable powders etc. I am sure. 所以我一写formulation 就怀疑是不对的了...

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-04-05 13:08 GMT]
Collapse

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
文绉绉 Apr 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

Steve,

Yueyin,

Sure. English is very flexible in the sense that there are many ways to phrase a sentence and express the same thing - I think this is one of the things we've both been saying in this thread.

etc., etc.

[Edited at 2009-04-05 00:46 GMT]

文绉绉一点。这样翻译如何?
The resemblance of people down the hill to small toys was apparent as we climbed to the hilltop.

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Petroleum processing应该是确切的名称吧? Apr 5, 2009

ysun wrote:
兰州化石城?

I was really amused when I saw 兰州石化城 had been translated into “Lanzhou Petrifaction City” at this link.

很明显, 译者对兰州知之甚少,连Google地图上覆盖在兰州上空的烟尘也没看一眼。
兰州黄河沿岸还是挺美的:
羊皮筏子 Sheep skin raft

水车 Water wheel

中山铁桥 Sun Yat-sen bridge

[Edited at 2009-04-05 12:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-05 12:12 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Petrifaction City Apr 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

That's really one for the books

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
黄河上游灿烂的明珠 Apr 5, 2009

Jason Ma wrote:

兰州黄河沿岸还是挺美的:
羊皮筏子 Sheep skin raft
水车 Water wheel
中山铁桥 Sun Yat-sen bridge

小马:

看到你贴出的照片我感到很亲切。谢谢!当年我在被调到北京总公司之前,在兰化待了整整14年。我在兰化附近的黄河边上见过类似的水车,也曾见过有人在黄河里划羊皮筏子。兰州黄河沿岸的滨河大道确实很漂亮。滨河大道刚开始建时,起点就是中山铁桥。兰州尤其是西固地区的污染,确实很严重;再加两山夹一河的特殊地形,使得被污染的空气难以扩散出去。当我 “Standing on the top of the hill” 再往下看兰化兰炼时,感触就更深了。山上是一片灿烂的阳光,山下却是一片乌烟瘴气。

我想“石化城”可以译成 petrochemical city 或 petrochemical town。例如可以称兰州为petrochemical city,称西固区为 petrochemical town。德克萨州的Houston 和路易斯安娜州Baton Rouge 就被人称为 petrochemical city或 petrochemical town。究竟称city 还是 town,似乎跟城市大小关系不大,恐怕主要还是取决于各人的 preference 。像德州Beaumont这样一个仅10万人的小town,也有人称它为 “refining and petrochemical city”。像Houston 这样的大城市,却有人称它为petrochemical town。也有人称Houston 为 the petrochemical capital of the United States。在80年代之前,如果称兰州为 the petrochemical capital of the People’s Republic of China,那也一点都不过分。

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
希望见到这里有更健康的讨论环境 Apr 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

Jason Ma wrote:

兰州黄河沿岸还是挺美的:
羊皮筏子 Sheep skin raft
水车 Water wheel
中山铁桥 Sun Yat-sen bridge

小马:

看到你贴出的照片我感到很亲切。谢谢!当年我在被调到北京总公司之前,在兰化待了整整14年。我在兰化附近的黄河边上见过类似的水车,也曾见过有人在黄河里划羊皮筏子。兰州黄河沿岸的滨河大道确实很漂亮。滨河大道刚开始建时,起点就是中山铁桥。兰州尤其是西固地区的污染,确实很严重;再加两山夹一河的特殊地形,使得被污染的空气难以扩散出去。当我 “Standing on the top of the hill” 再往下看兰化兰炼时,感触就更深了。山上是一片灿烂的阳光,山下却是一片乌烟瘴气。

我想“石化城”可以译成 petrochemical city 或 petrochemical town。例如可以称兰州为petrochemical city,称西固区为 petrochemical town。德克萨州的Houston 和路易斯安娜州Baton Rouge 就被人称为 petrochemical city或 petrochemical town。究竟称city 还是 town,似乎跟城市大小关系不大,恐怕主要还是取决于各人的 preference 。像德州Beaumont这样一个仅10万人的小town,也有人称它为 “refining and petrochemical city”。像Houston 这样的大城市,却有人称它为petrochemical town。也有人称Houston 为 the petrochemical capital of the United States。在80年代之前,如果称兰州为 the petrochemical capital of the People’s Republic of China,那也一点都不过分。

今天乐音谈到了他以往的一些经历,我也想来说两句,我们在网上大家都是网友,不分前辈后辈,但在讨论的时候,对讨论的对方表示起码的尊重还是必要的,我发现这里的讨论气氛有些不对劲,所以为避免是非,通常不说什么。其实,乐音在80年代初出国前就是化工部的副处级,他参与了兰州石化和南京石化引进的谈判和一些具体的翻译实务,后来中石化从化工部分出来以后也是正部级单位,他出国的时候,中石化的一、二把手也都出面挽留,只是他更愿意在自己喜欢的环境的工作和生活,领导尊重他的意愿,所以他来到了国外。我相信他至今对自己的选择仍然是无怨无悔的,看到有些网友在对他的观点不满意之余,就说一些风凉的讽刺话,觉得肚量还是差了一些,没有学会起码的网上讨论伦理。讨论问题没关系,原本应该不分长尊老幼,但是不应该冷嘲热讽,虽然在网上没人认识你,但是中国做学问的人还要讲究一个慎独,即使没有人知道你是谁,仍然需要做一个体面的人。

乐音跟我单单是给一个世界著名制药公司已经翻译了一百多篇专利了,现在该公司的专利编号已经到了221号。短的三、四千字,长的六、七万字,甚至十万多字,300多页,多数是他翻译,我校对,因为我通常有很多其他项目要做,来了项目我都是提议他翻我校,一半以上是繁体中文,其余的是简体中文。开始的时候我还可以给他修改一些,到最后已经很难找到需要修改的地方了,虽然他客气,说以前有些地方我都改过了,但是他做事认真,所以后来我很难找到需要修该的地方,后来需要我给该公司翻译的专利的时候,由于种种原因,多次都是因为忙着其他项目,仗着他还会给我把关,他修改的地方比我后期改他的译文地方还多,这些基本上都是他自己的领域,他知道自己在做什么。

希望见到这里有更健康的讨论环境,网上讨论也要公平待人,这样自己也才会有长进。

[Edited at 2009-04-05 16:29 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Yueyin 确实在各方面都非常出色 Apr 5, 2009

Dr. Li,

说得很好. 顶一个.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
你们的翻译讨论非常精彩,是一场久违的学术辩论。 Apr 6, 2009

ysun wrote:

Kevin

你好!谢谢你的关注!我很同意你的意见。其实我也没有指望要说服对方。我把我的观点表明就可以了。 至于是与非、对与错,就留给别人去判断吧! 即使别人不发表看法,只要大家都在此讨论中有所收获,目的也就达到了。

老孙,nyleda,nigerose,Steve和dumont,

你们的翻译讨论非常精彩,是一场久违的学术辩论, 给我们大家带来了学习的机会和享受。虽然你们的讨论内容比较专业化,超出我的理解能力,但是你们的学识在辩论中显露无遗。有你们在这里大显身手,是本论坛的福气。我期待着你们更多精彩的表现。

以前我常犯一个毛病,就是总以为我能用自己的力量和能力说服对方。后来我发现,与其说服对方一个人,倒不如将理由和看法说给大家听,让明理的人看懂而得到的效果更好。这种效果可能一时显露不出来,可是,你们知道吗?前不久居然还有一位北京的翻译对我五、六年前的帖子提出抗议呢。因为帖子总是贴在那里的,迟早总会有人评论的。

老孙,谢谢你介绍给我的那个网站链接。我上去看了看,结果仓惶而逃。让我看不出那里百家争鸣的学术气氛,满眼看到的都是军阀混战。谢谢你和大家努力维护本网站,让我们这里仍然保持着一片学术的净土。

Kevin

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
谢谢 Apr 6, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Dr. Li,

说得很好. 顶一个.

多谢,Steve.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
非常同意你关于维护健康讨论环境的意见 Apr 6, 2009

李斌:

谢谢你的美言。其实对我而言,过去的业绩都已成为历史,算不了什么。我来美国后无论是过去还是现在,找工作时都根本不提以前当过副处长,因为人家是找干活的,不是找当官的。再说,现在国内30多岁的年轻处长随便一抓就可以抓一大把,实在算不了什么。我于80年前一直从事化工生产,80年开始涉足技术引进,但始终是搞技术工作。我在担任项目工程师
... See more
李斌:

谢谢你的美言。其实对我而言,过去的业绩都已成为历史,算不了什么。我来美国后无论是过去还是现在,找工作时都根本不提以前当过副处长,因为人家是找干活的,不是找当官的。再说,现在国内30多岁的年轻处长随便一抓就可以抓一大把,实在算不了什么。我于80年前一直从事化工生产,80年开始涉足技术引进,但始终是搞技术工作。我在担任项目工程师和项目经理期间,在参加技术交流和合同谈判时,有时在翻译人员感到吃力或卡壳的时候,曾临时顶替过他们,但我并非是专职翻译。那时,我离一名专职翻译的水平还相差很远,不过我很欣赏当“翻译官”的机会。当时的情况是翻译不大懂技术,但工程技术人员多数口语又不行。所以我临时充当翻译,也是义不容辞。

以前在兰化生产技术处工作时,我几乎跑遍了全公司所有车间;后来搞技术引进,尤其是调到总公司后,常有机会到国外考察,到下属企业去配合解决问题,这就进一步增加了见识。到总公司工作后,我们处主要负责配合燕山石化、扬子石化、齐鲁石化、兰化、广州石化、茂名石化等下属企业以及全国所有以原油为原料的大化肥厂的技术引进项目。这些经历对我后来在美国搞成套技术设备出口以及现在搞翻译工作,都大有帮助。

至于来美国定居,主要是为了子孙后代。看到现在儿孙们幸福地生活,我对当年的抉择当然是无怨无悔。这一点,你是最理解的。实际上,你的情况也与我差不多。现在你的女儿如此有出息,我相信你一定也是无怨无悔。

那家客户分别找到你我,让我们成为搭档,确实是我的荣幸。我在工作中,有时会遇到个别明显是故意找茬甚至想把我搞掉的 editor。他们故意乱改我的译文,还用英文加上评论,以证明我不合格。好在客户对我十分信任,每次都告诉我说, “Accept or reject the changes as you decide is appropriate. Your decision is final.” 关于这点,我另外再谈。

我非常同意你关于“希望见到这里有更健康的讨论环境”的意见。我们这里几乎每过一段时间都会发生一场争端。某些人习惯于其它网站上冷嘲热讽、谩骂、发动人身攻击的做法,总是竭力想把那种恶劣作风带到这里来。我这人性情直爽,有时说话无意之中会得罪人。我欢迎善意的批评,但不会接受恶意的攻击。某些人与我素来无冤无仇,却不知为何要向我发动攻击。例如那位很多人都知道的同事,我以前与他素不相识。几年前他第一次突然向我发动攻击只是因为我提到北京某些路名是以国民党抗日殉国将领张自忠、佟麟阁和赵登禹的名字命名的事实。从此以后他就变本加厉,长时期一再向我发动攻击。最近那位自己连“联锁装置”是什么东西都不知道的同事,也不知为什么就突然对我冷嘲热讽起来。我想他们大概是在别处早已习惯了这种做法;在别处人家对他们无能为力,于是他们到这里来就如法炮制。以前有不少关于翻译问题的讨论,都是因为这种人的搅局而搞得不欢而散。例如:
http://www.proz.com/topic/35521
结果,现在这样的讨论越来越少,参加的人也越来越少。要不是我们那几位 moderators 的出色和有力的管理,这里不知会变成什么样子。
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
感谢和致敬 Apr 6, 2009

Kevin,

谢谢你的鼓励和支持。我也认为总的说来,这场讨论和学术辩论是不错的。我原以为没有多少人会感兴趣,但将近一个月来,每天关注这场讨论的同事一直都在300人次以上,最近甚至有增无减。尽管在此过程中,大家的情绪都多少有些激动,但总的情况还算可以,比那个“发源地”网站强出不知多少倍。以前这里的很多讨论,讨论到后来往往不再是讨论,而是斗
... See more
Kevin,

谢谢你的鼓励和支持。我也认为总的说来,这场讨论和学术辩论是不错的。我原以为没有多少人会感兴趣,但将近一个月来,每天关注这场讨论的同事一直都在300人次以上,最近甚至有增无减。尽管在此过程中,大家的情绪都多少有些激动,但总的情况还算可以,比那个“发源地”网站强出不知多少倍。以前这里的很多讨论,讨论到后来往往不再是讨论,而是斗气,也有点“混战”的味道。

我完全同意你的这一看法,“与其说服对方一个人,倒不如将理由和看法说给大家听,让明理的人看懂而得到的效果更好”。其实我们讨论的内容在专业上并不算很深,尤其很多关于语法和逻辑的问题,都是大家日常会遇到的问题。我相信很多同事只是看到火药味较浓,不愿轻易介入而已。这几天的讨论给我的感觉是“这茶喝到这会儿,才喝出点味来”。我希望有更多的同事能来参加这场讨论。

我不打算在此公布那个“发源地”网站链接,以给那些人留点面子,但我希望那些来此参加讨论的同事能够遵守这里的规则。嘲笑、谩骂和攻击其实是虚弱无力的表现。那样做,即使你再有道理,别人也不会接受。我以前对一位毫不顾自己体面的同事说过,谩骂和攻击之结果只是将自己永远地钉在这里的耻辱柱上。

你在繁忙的本职工作之余,无私无偿地为大家服务,甚至为此遭到无端攻击和恶毒谩骂,你却一直无怨无悔。对此,我一直都很敬佩。你管理和调解的艺术也非常出色。Donglai 和 Denyse 也是如此。如果不是因为你们三位 moderators 的无私奉献,我们这里也会形成“军阀混战”的局面。所以,我要再次向你们表示感谢和致敬!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

一个英国人的汉译英试译(以此接得某大项目)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »