Thread poster: Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 29, 2003

it was said a while ago that google.com was forbidden in China. Could anyone kindly suggest me what the situation is now? many thanks in advance.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
変栫憐抦摴 Jul 29, 2003

Donglai Lou wrote:

it was said a while ago that google.com was forbidden in China. Could anyone kindly suggest me what the situation is now? many thanks in advance.

Hi Donglai,

You are not in China ?
I think google.com works in China, but I would like to have a confirmation from China.

thierry albert
thierry albert  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
Chinese to French
+ ...
YES Jul 29, 2003

Hello Dong LaiLou

I have no problem when using GOOGLE from Shenzhen. Of course there are some sites inaccessible, but very few and specials compared with the huge amount of information disponible.
I use GOOGLE almost each day when working. There is also a google interface in chinese.

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot! Jean-Marc Jul 29, 2003

Jean-Marc and Chance, thanks a lot for your information.

I am working in Australia now and have been away from China for one and half years. I am planning to move back to China. this is why I want to clarify the rumor about google.com in china.

[Edited at 2003-07-29 12:58]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Merci JM ! Jul 29, 2003

Jean-Marc Aquitaine wrote:

Hello Dong LaiLou

I have no problem when using GOOGLE from Shenzhen. Of course there are some sites inaccessible, but very few and specials compared with the huge amount of information disponible.
I use GOOGLE almost each day when working. There is also a google interface in chinese.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes. I've been using it all the time. Jul 29, 2003

Jean-Marc Aquitaine wrote:

Hello Dong LaiLou

I see no point for banning google.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
I guess... Jul 29, 2003

Donglai Lou wrote:

Perhaps it's still in use?

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Banned once, but just short run months ago Jul 31, 2003

Donglai Lou wrote:

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Google has been deceptively disabled by China authorities Aug 1, 2003

Until just a few weeks ago I was in Shenzhen, and so I am rather surprised that Jean-Marc finds Google functioning fairly well.

Not so...at least on my computer with broadband out of my apartment in Futian, Shenzhen. Two KEY functions of Google have been disabled by those very smart people in Beijing. To wit:

1. Inital "search" function will give the same results in China as elsewhere globally. However, the links to certain sites -- i.e., those which are highly critic
... See more
Until just a few weeks ago I was in Shenzhen, and so I am rather surprised that Jean-Marc finds Google functioning fairly well.

Not so...at least on my computer with broadband out of my apartment in Futian, Shenzhen. Two KEY functions of Google have been disabled by those very smart people in Beijing. To wit:

1. Inital "search" function will give the same results in China as elsewhere globally. However, the links to certain sites -- i.e., those which are highly critical of the Communist Party, report on Mao Ze-Dong's highly active sex life in detail, etc., have been disabled, and should you click on them, you will not only NOT get to the site...your link to Google may itself be disrupted. If you are using a dial-up connection, you may well be pushed "off line." Obviously, this can be very annoying. Just how many such sites this has affected I can't say, I would estimate several thousands since this has no doubt been done via a computer program; But I do know that the web site for "Sinorama," a Taiwan government publication for which I translate, can be found in Google search results but cannot be accessed therefrom...

2. More insidiously, "cached" pages CANNOT be accessed via Google. This is a big, big hassle. In other words, most searches yield URLs which can be accessed, but if you want to see a "snapshot" of the page in question, WITH THE KEYWORD YOU INPUT HIGHLIGHTED IN RED, you can no longer do so. This was formerly one of Google's main attractions -- a real time-saver. For example, you can visit a given magazine's Home Page, but you CANNOT automatically visit the exact page with the information you wanted in highlights. This greatly reduces the value of Google as a search tool, and is something I have seen develop over the last six months in China.

I hope my meaning is clear. Yes, Google is still "working" in China, but it has been rendered much, much less effective. Sort of "neutered". Surely I can't be the ONLY person to have noticed the way the "cached" pages have been "frozen"???

Bruce Humes
Now in (horribly expensive) Tokyo...
[email protected]

Yubing YANG wrote:

Donglai Lou wrote:

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bruce is back! Aug 1, 2003

Hey, Bruce!

It is so wonderful to hear from you! I assume you have settled down in Tokyo. Friends of mine told me it took them long time to "blend in" with the locals. I would love to hear more your experience there.

Your report on using Google in China is very valuable to our translators here. It is very unfortunate that the Google search functionalities and results have been altered or manipulated.

I certainly hope it can be running freely in China somed
... See more
Hey, Bruce!

It is so wonderful to hear from you! I assume you have settled down in Tokyo. Friends of mine told me it took them long time to "blend in" with the locals. I would love to hear more your experience there.

Your report on using Google in China is very valuable to our translators here. It is very unfortunate that the Google search functionalities and results have been altered or manipulated.

I certainly hope it can be running freely in China someday.

Stay in touch!

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-08-01 14:00]
Collapse

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi! Bruce. Aug 1, 2003

Thanks a lot for your valuable input. This may be my biggest headache after I return to Beijing.

wish you a wonderful life in Tokyo.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Bruce, Aug 1, 2003

Nice to hear from you again !

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
好消息啊 Aug 1, 2003

一直关注,只是没吭声。祝君顺利!
Bruce Humes wrote:

1. Inital "search" function will give the same results in China as elsewhere globally. However, the links to certain sites -- i.e., those which are highly critical of the Communist Party, report on Mao Ze-Dong's highly active sex life in detail, etc., have been disabled, and should you click on them, you will not only NOT get to the site...your link to Google may itself be disrupted. If you are using a dial-up connection, you may well be pushed "off line." Obviously, this can be very annoying. Just how many such sites this has affected I can't say, I would estimate several thousands since this has no doubt been done via a computer program; But I do know that the web site for "Sinorama," a Taiwan government publication for which I translate, can be found in Google search results but cannot be accessed therefrom...

2. More insidiously, "cached" pages CANNOT be accessed via Google. This is a big, big hassle. In other words, most searches yield URLs which can be accessed, but if you want to see a "snapshot" of the page in question, WITH THE KEYWORD YOU INPUT HIGHLIGHTED IN RED, you can no longer do so. This was formerly one of Google's main attractions -- a real time-saver. For example, you can visit a given magazine's Home Page, but you CANNOT automatically visit the exact page with the information you wanted in highlights. This greatly reduces the value of Google as a search tool, and is something I have seen develop over the last six months in China.

I hope my meaning is clear. Yes, Google is still "working" in China, but it has been rendered much, much less effective. Sort of "neutered". Surely I can't be the ONLY person to have noticed the way the "cached" pages have been "frozen"???

Bruce Humes
Now in (horribly expensive) Tokyo...
[email protected]

Yubing YANG wrote:

Donglai Lou wrote:

[Edited at 2003-08-01 20:12]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
是否有其它办法? Aug 2, 2003

Donglai Lou wrote:
Thanks a lot for your valuable input. This may be my biggest headache after I return to Beijing.

是否可以通过在国外的网站转联接,以避开这种控制?

KEVIN好像有过这种考虑,不知结果如何?

有否其它好主意?

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
可以试一下代理服务器! Aug 2, 2003

[quote]chance wrote:

是否可以通过在国外的网站转联接,以避开这种控制?

KEVIN好像有过这种考虑,不知结果如何?

有否其它好主意?

其实可以试试代理服务器,即匿名浏览。但问题是大多数代理服务器也被禁掉了。

不知诸位有什么高见。google毕竟是一项最伟大的工具。不能尽享其功能,实在令我食不甘味。

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we use google.com in China

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »