https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/13364-displaying_chinese_subject_sender_in_eudora.html

Displaying Chinese subject/sender in Eudora
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2003

Hello all,
I'm setting up a new computer system with English Windows XP Professional and Eudora. I can read e-mail body text in Chinese, but the headers show up as garbage characters after the coding specifyer. I'm sure it's a button or a checkbox somewhere, but does anyone know how to make it show the headers in Chinese? (I think I was having the same problem in Outlook, too.) My regional settings are set to Taiwan.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Terry! Aug 15, 2003

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

Hello all,
I'm setting up a new computer system with English Windows XP Professional and Eudora. I can read e-mail body text in Chinese, but the headers show up as garbage characters after the coding specifyer. I'm sure it's a button or a checkbox somewhere, but does anyone know how to make it show the headers in Chinese? (I think I was having the same problem in Outlook, too.) My regional settings are set to Taiwan.

Hi Terry,

I happened to have my new computer system set up yesterday. I'd like to share my successful experience with you. To get everything done smoothly, please go to

www.li-ming.org/Form/XPSetup.pdf

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WOW! Now that's good luck! Aug 16, 2003

I'll go there right away and look!

Thanks!

Terry

BBW C.Tran,ATIO wrote:

Hello all,

Hi Terry,

I happened to have my new computer system set up yesterday. I'd like to share my successful experience with you. To get everything done smoothly, please go to

www.li-ming.org/Form/XPSetup.pdf

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope! Aug 16, 2003

I had already done all those things. I can input Chinese, read Chinese web pages, but cannot see Chinese characters ONLY in the headers of e-mails, either in Eudora or Outlook. I CAN read Chinese in the body of an e-mail.

Does anybody know what I'm missing?

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
I have the same problem as yours ! Aug 16, 2003

I had already done all those things. I can input Chinese, read Chinese web pages, but cannot see Chinese characters ONLY in the headers of e-mails, either in Eudora or Outlook. I CAN read Chinese in the body of an e-mail.

Does anybody know what I'm missing?

Hi Terry,

I have Win XP in French version and I have the same problem. Only when I switch on the NJStar Communicator for Chinese Input, I can read Chinese characters in the headers of OutLook Express. I leave it like this. But you can try with your Chinese Input software.

I have never tried Eudora.

Bonne chance !

[Edited at 2003-08-16 11:51]

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm.. Aug 16, 2003

Tres bizarre....but I'll give it a try. It's annoying because I get a lot of spam from Taiwan, but also a lot of good mail, and it's hard to tell the difference if you can't read the header. (Of course, I should read it all, just to improve my 'exaggerated language' in Chinese...)

Terry

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another observation... Aug 17, 2003

I can´t see Chinese characters in the menu and list of dictionaries available in ¨Dr. Eye" now, either; and I could on my old system, which was also English Windows XP. So it's got to be a switch or checkbox somewhere....

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Terry, Aug 17, 2003

I can??t see Chinese characters in the menu and list of dictionaries available in ¨Dr. Eye" now, either; and I could on my old system, which was also English Windows XP. So it's got to be a switch or checkbox somewhere....

Hi Terry and Chance,

Just try using the following tips which I believe are useful:

---> Go to "tools"(after you open your "outlook")--> Click "Read"
--->Click "fonts"--->Select "Chinese Traditional"---->Click "Set as Default"
--->Click "OK"--->Click "OK" once more
--->Close "Outlook"----> open "Outlook" again---->Now you will be able to view traditional Chinese characters in the headers.

Betty

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Betty... Aug 17, 2003

No go...I had already done that too.

I finally got it last night: there is a setting in Regional and Language options called "Advanced" andtheres a checkbox about running non-Unicode programs in another language. Unfortunately you can only pick one of them! Also there are a bunch of checkboxes below that and I selected every one that even vaguely had to do with Chinese. I can see headers now, and I can see the menu text in my Chinese dictionary program as well.

I'm not
... See more
No go...I had already done that too.

I finally got it last night: there is a setting in Regional and Language options called "Advanced" andtheres a checkbox about running non-Unicode programs in another language. Unfortunately you can only pick one of them! Also there are a bunch of checkboxes below that and I selected every one that even vaguely had to do with Chinese. I can see headers now, and I can see the menu text in my Chinese dictionary program as well.

I'm not saying I want to set up a new computer every month or so, but you sure do forget when you go so long between doing it!
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Betty ! Aug 17, 2003

BBW C.Tran,ATIO wrote:
Hi Terry and Chance,

Just try using the following tips which I believe are useful:

---> Go to "tools"(after you open your "outlook")--> Click "Read"
--->Click "fonts"--->Select "Chinese Traditional"---->Click "Set as Default"
--->Click "OK"--->Click "OK" once more
--->Close "Outlook"----> open "Outlook" again---->Now you will be able to view traditional Chinese characters in the headers.
Betty

I did it as you said and it works well for the headers now. But I will change it back into "Set Europe Occidental as Default", because I have more French Emails than Chinese ones. Anyway, it is better to know it and to be able to choose when I need. Thank you very much, Betty !

[Edited at 2003-08-17 13:15]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Terry! Aug 19, 2003

Congrats! ^_^

[Edited at 2003-08-19 12:57]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bonjour Chance! Aug 19, 2003

chance wrote:
Anyway, it is better to know it and to be able to choose when I need. Thank you very much, Betty !

De rien!
Bonne chance!

[Edited at 2003-08-19 13:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Displaying Chinese subject/sender in Eudora

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »