Mobile menu

Wordfast not showing Chinese unicode characters, Plz help
Thread poster: honeybee
honeybee
English to Chinese
Sep 1, 2003

After downloading Wordfast, I am trying to get it to work displaying Chinese words, (translate English > Chinese) using Twinbridge Chinese Partner as input software. But, i got stuck, all that appear in the target line is a sqare for each word. plz help. Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Maybe it is not Wordfast problem Sep 2, 2003

I just tried with Wordfast and it works well.

Have you tried with "Arial Unicode MS" font ?

I use NJStar Communicator for Chinese Input.
You can have a free trial version at : http://www.njstar.com/

Let me know if it works or not.

Good luck!

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
TwinBridge comes without Arial Unicode MS font Sep 5, 2003

Thanks chance. i cannot however locate this font. wondering if there are certain settings in the Wordfast that I know not of how to setup correctly.
I downloaded also MS Global IME, but it did not help.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Check Word Help with the word "Unicode" Sep 7, 2003

Then you can find the way to install "Arial Unicode MS font" in Word.

You can also try to re-download Wordfast and reinstall it. Sometimes, it works after reinstallation. I do not remember I made any special settings in Wordfast.

Without Wordfast, does Twinbridge work well ?

If you have only Twinbridge Demo version, some of functions do not work. They make it intentionally.

In that case, try NJStar communicator for Chinese Input.

Bonne courage!

[Edited at 2003-09-08 05:56]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
I cannot understand ? Sep 10, 2003

honeybee wrote:

I downloaded also MS Global IME, but it did not help.

I tried with MS Global IME, it works.

My Twinbridge Demo version is expired so I cannot try it.

[Edited at 2003-09-10 05:32]

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Will TrueType font (Chn* TSC*) work with Wordfast? Sep 10, 2003

TwinBridge works well, document file ends with ".wri" ending.

I did some reading on "arial Unicode MS font", I am afraid i need to intall that. If I download that, then do I still need to use TwinBridge for input method? Or do i need to use NJStar?

I got the TwinBridge CD and Chinese/English dictionary, which can be used togather with TwinBridge when I translate. (just copy certain words from dictionary and paste to .WRI file.

I hope TwinBridge Chinese Partner will workout ok with Wordfast. But I am afraid .WRI file can not be read by others with Wordfast or Trado.

If Twinbridge's TrueType Fonts can be displayed in Wordfast File, that would be nice.

Does NJStar use TrueTppe Font? All TrueType Fonts start with *Chn* such as Chn FKai M5 or *TSC*.

Thanks chance, and all you who read this.

Any help are appreciated.

I am new to this Wordfast, and also Global IME.

[Edited at 2003-09-11 00:34]

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Global IME / Chinese input methods / Wordfast Sep 10, 2003

I see the En / 我改变 En 为中文/ WOW / It worked as you see. (The first time since downloaded IME)

However, when typed in the pinyin, I do not see the multiple characters displayed as when using TwinBridge.

Feeling a bid like shooting in the dark, not knowing wetherit will show the character I wanted --- even when the proper tone is entered.

But at least, it is a start for this Global IME. Now let me try to use it in Wordfast, (tried before, but failed, but today i am feeling luck...) ... back now, clicked En sign, but the Chinese option did not show up.

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 98 SE / Wordfast/ manual / Sep 10, 2003

Windows 98 SE is my operating system, with a non-CJK default system. (CJK -- chinese, japanese, korean)

here the quote from Wordfast manual, concerning unicode input method:

"If you work with Window 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP with a non-CJK default system locale (see the note below), you can work in a CJK language using the Unicode standard.

"This is by far the most recommended setting. Please use this platform whenever possible.

"Note that you can still type and read Chinese, Japanese, or Korean just as well with Win98, Win2000, WinXP booted on a US default locale, using your favorite input method. " End of Quote.

Here in my case, the input method is Twinbridge using TrueType Font (Chn Fkai M5), in a ".WRI" file(came with TwinBridge).

But if TwinBridge does not work, I am willing to intall "Arial Unicode MS", and switch to NJStar.

After all, I would like to have others to read Chinese unicode, even if they do not have TwinBridge Chinese partner.

Thanks again, chance, for your patience and kindness, and for others who visited here, thanks for taking a moment to visit.

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Multilanguage support/ Chinese option not shown Sep 11, 2003

I thought to display Chinese characters, I might need Chinese language support. This is what i did:

From Windows Help, I searched langauge, selected multilanguage support,

quote from Windows Help:

To install multilanguage support

(1) to open the Add/Remove Programs dialog box at the Windows Setup tab.

(2) Click Multilanguage Support, and then click Details.

(3)Make sure a check mark appears beside the language or languages you want to use.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

(End of quote.)

To my shock, I do not have a Chinese option there!!!

in light of this, these two questions arise:

In order for Wordfast to display Chinese unicode, ( is TrueTypeFont a kind of unicode? -- such as Chn FKai M5 font):

(a) do i need Chinese language support software installed and checked here, as shown by the above steps?

(b) how come I can now see Chinese websites ok,all the Chinese words are shown?

honeybee
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Can read Chinese Website Sep 11, 2003

chance:

In case you thought my last posting's last question has a typo, i can *now*, as i can *not*, this post is to clear that matter.

the question was,

why can I read Chinese Websites ok, while chinese language is not even listed available in the multilanguage support options?

I am hoping to solve a problem with Wordfast not displaying Chinese words. I figured that i might need a software to display it.

Now i am not sure if I have it or not. since i can read Chinese websites ok. But the language support says it does not have Chinese there.

am i beating at a wrong bush? (by this line of inquirng?)

thank you chance, and

Thanks again everyone else who reads this.

What are your favorite Chinese input methods? TwinBridge is only one I have tried on the marked. please feel free to drop a line and share ... your experience with your input softwares, and with CAT tools.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try to find Sep 11, 2003

First, make the same configuration for "Chinese support and Unicode support" in your MS Word (Office 2000) as you tried in your Win98.

Then, open a word document to type in with your Twinbridge and do not worry about Unicode for the moment.

In Proz and Kudoz, most Chinese encoding are GB2312(SC), BIG5(TC) or UTF-8.

My Win XP, WIN98 SE, MS Office2000, as well as many other types of software are in French version; so maybe what I write here is not exactly what is written in the Windows system (English Version). Therefore, sometimes you have to guess. I am sorry for that.

Most important is to be cool and take care of it only when you have enough time.

I hope more experienced people will have time to help you too.

Anyway, be 8) 8) 8) and see you soon !

[Edited at 2003-09-11 08:06]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Wordfast Forum Sep 19, 2003

Hi honeybee,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

There are quite a few Wordfast literate people there, including Wordfast's creator and programmer, Yves Champollion.

I need help on Wordfast too. Hope we can find some help there.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast not showing Chinese unicode characters, Plz help

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs