Colleagues in Taiwan, please help me buy this CD-ROM:
Thread poster: Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 21, 2003

I have called them (including チ) and they will NOT ship to the U.S. I will pay you the price of the CD plus shipping plus $20 for your trouble by Paypal or I will buy something of equal value in the U.S. and send to you.

Thank you!

More info:

"瓣粂勉ㄥヘ玡Τ盒琌毙▅场盒珇厩盡胯13絪瓣粂勉ㄥ璹セ﹚基350じヘ玡い地チ瓣瓣ずよ砪扳

1.毙▅场ぇ禣
筿杠02-23566054
籓カい玭隔5腹
2.現┎珇甶扳カ--瓣產現┎珇盡芥
》跌羆┍
筿杠02-25781515#643
肚痷02-25799625
籓カ紈隔琿10腹B1
》呼隔┍
筿杠02-26598074
肚痷02-26579106
呼http://www.govbooks.com.tw
3.現┎珇甶扳カ--籓カチЫ
》玭┍
筿杠02-23617511
肚痷02-23617711
籓カ紋玭隔琿61腹
》確┍
筿杠02-25006600
籓カ確砍隔386腹
呼http://www.sanmin.com.tw
4.現┎珇甶扳カ--いカき玭ゅて約初
筿杠04-22260330
肚痷04-22582340
籓いカい隔2腹B1
5.現┎珇甶扳カ--裹てカ穝秈瓜約初
筿杠04-7252792
肚痷04-7225891
裹てカ確隔177腹
6.現┎珇甶扳カ--蔼动カ獵Ы
筿杠07-3324910
肚痷07-3331829
蔼动カ獵隔141腹3加"

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Let me know if it is worth. Sep 21, 2003

Hi Yongmei,

It is a pity that I could not find it here. If yes, I would be happy to earn the $20.

But I am interested to know if it is worth after your experience.

Cheers

United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use the online version quite often Sep 21, 2003

... but the connection is slow or down sometimes. So I want to have a copy on my local machine. I am sure I will love it.

By the way, I think the dictionary is so well-made and will help students of Chinese so much that it SHOULD be in the public domain. I will send a copy to anyone who pays me shipping.

Now let's wait for someone to send me the mother copy, hehe.

chance wrote:

Hi Yongmei,

It is a pity that I could not find it here. If yes, I would be happy to earn the $20.

But I am interested to know if it is worth after your experience.

Cheers

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yongmei, you are so nice :) Sep 22, 2003

Let us hope some nice colleagues in Taiwan...

They must be very busy at the moment.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
OK, I'm getting on the bus now!!! Sep 22, 2003

I'm getting on the bus to Taipei in a few minutes, and I'll look for the CD in question. Wouldn't mind a copy of it myself!!

I'll also browbeat Sanmin as to why they won't ship to the United States. (No charge for the extra rude service!! )

However, I'm NOT sending you a copy so you can then pirate it. No matter what you think of the company or their policies, they put in the effort to create the work and they own the copyright. You have no right to pirate it, and I won't help you do so. I write software myself and wouldn't appreciate someone boasting about how they were going to send free copies of my work to other people, even if I were flattered to hear that it was helpful for students.

[Edited at 2003-09-22 08:27]

xxxLinguaText
English to Chinese
+ ...
quote only Sep 22, 2003

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

I write software myself and wouldn't appreciate someone boasting about how they were going to send free copies of my work to other people, even if I were flattered to hear that it was helpful for students.

[Edited at 2003-09-22 08:27]

Chinese to English
+ ...
They didn't have it anyway!! Sep 22, 2003

As usual, they didn't have it anyway, so this whole discussion is moot. They did say that they would ship to the US, but only if you bought the product in the store in Taipei (in person); they wouldn't ship over the Web site. That makes absolutely no sense to me but the poor girl was just some student working part-time behind the counter, so there wasn't much point in arguing with her.

She did suggest that maybe you could try an on-line auction such as the E-bay site for Taiwan. Apparently the CD comes in the back of an actual printed book (???). Anyway I sure couldn't come up with it on my trip up and down Chongqing Road, which is the big bookstore "strip" in Taipei.

Regards,
Terry

United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It may well be in the public domain already: Sep 22, 2003

Note that it is published at cost (at the low price of $350) by the Department of Education, sold mostly at official government bookstores and now out of stock because the bureaucrats don't give a damn - even though this is a fantastic resource - as no one is making a profit.

Breaking the law, if my action indeed does so, is justified in my book if it's trivial (jaywalking), vital to public interest (pirating say AIDS drugs - an extreme example) or generally tolerated (downloading a few songs through Kazaa pre-RIAA lawsuits). This instant case falls into the second category.

Therefore, I have no moral qualms. My search continues and my offer - first five only! - stands.

United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Frankly I think there is a conspiracy - Tinfoil hat, check! - Sep 22, 2003

to deny students access to this dictionary so that its inferior, commercially produced counterparts can have the run of the market.

I do remember calling Sanmin (or maybe it's the Edu. Dept. place) a month ago and they told me, Yes, it's in stock!

xxxLinguaText
English to Chinese
+ ...
I agree quality is always concerns. Sep 22, 2003

Yongmei Liu wrote:

to deny students access to this dictionary so that its inferior, commercially produced counterparts can have the run of the market.

I do remember calling Sanmin (or maybe it's the Edu. Dept. place) a month ago and they told me, Yes, it's in stock!

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
I agree with Yongmei, even I know Terry is right too. Sep 22, 2003

Yongmei Liu wrote:

Note that it is published at cost (at the low price of $350) by the Department of Education, sold mostly at official government bookstores and now out of stock because the bureaucrats don't give a damn - even though this is a fantastic resource - as no one is making a profit.

Breaking the law, if my action indeed does so, is justified in my book if it's trivial (jaywalking), vital to public interest (pirating say AIDS drugs - an extreme example) or generally tolerated (downloading a few songs through Kazaa pre-RIAA lawsuits). This instant case falls into the second category.

Therefore, I have no moral qualms. My search continues and my offer - first five only! - stands.

I adore the freeware, shareware, Kudoz, mutual aid forum, Linux, PHP and information free by Internet who make the world more wonderful.

When I can, I do sometimes free translation just to give a hand and with pleasure, like all the colleagues who participate in answering the questions in Kudoz. I do not hesitate to make a copy of working tool software for a colleague.

My thanks to Yongmei for your kind intention and my thanks for Terrys frankness.

If someone is willing to buy a copy for Yongmei, please add an original copy for me. I will pay the price + shipping + 20 through moneybookers.com

Thank you in advance.

I am curious to know in which language you program, Terry ?

[Edited at 2003-09-22 17:08]

Chinese to English
+ ...
I can't see how Sep 23, 2003

Sorry, but I cannot see how it is ever ethical to pirate a copyrighted work.

You may feel that the quality is higher on this edition of the dictionary than on the ones published by private publishers. But unfortunately, this is not your decision to make (whether a work should be free or not). If it is public domain, then there is no problem copying it; if it is not, then it is illegal. Full stop.

There is a great deal of difference between AIDS drugs (when there is no other effective alternative available) and a dictionary (when there are many alternatives available, and anyway the original at NT$350 (about US$10) is not too expensive for anyone to purchase).

Sorry to sound culturally imperalistic and all, but this kind of thinking is why China and Taiwan have so many problems with being on the watchlist for copyright violations and so forth. Taiwan in particular cries loudly about this just about every year. I guess maybe it's based on the old system of agriculture, where if there is no visible physical damage, then no one was really hurt. No one can "see" the damage to a company when people pirate their works -- it's just lost sales, which don't show up. Not like killing someone's ox, which is pretty hard to hide. I know it will take time before the attitudes change, because the older generation really doesn't have the concept of copyright, but I had hoped that the younger generation would respect the law on intellectual property -- especially because we work in an area where we sell nothing more than our intellectual output. None of us raise food, build an actual useful product, or do much of anything else but change words into other words...

I program for Palm OS (writing applications for PDAs). Nothing fancy, believe me. I usually only get to do it during vacations because I don't have the time when I'm working.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
What a lesson ! Sep 23, 2003

Terry,

What you said is worth considering, especially for me, coming from China. Thanks for the open discussion.

It is a pity that I know nothing about programming for Palm OS. I have always a kind of admiration for the programmers.

Have a nice day.

[Edited at 2003-09-23 06:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colleagues in Taiwan, please help me buy this CD-ROM:

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs