I\'m Mike from Glossika
Thread poster: Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2002

I wake up with a great surprise as I find Mike, whose true name until now I do no know, but I do know a ganster of his people with different names in this site, defaming my name.

From the very start, Mike did not listen to me. He keep on spamming my email box, by requesting me to join his cosmetic project. I told him I had been busy with other projects and I have an ongoing project and an interpretation project need me to take care between Mar 1-4, and Mar.6-8. I told him, I
... See more
I wake up with a great surprise as I find Mike, whose true name until now I do no know, but I do know a ganster of his people with different names in this site, defaming my name.

From the very start, Mike did not listen to me. He keep on spamming my email box, by requesting me to join his cosmetic project. I told him I had been busy with other projects and I have an ongoing project and an interpretation project need me to take care between Mar 1-4, and Mar.6-8. I told him, I might accept his offer as a part-time translator(according to him, full-time 5,000 words per day, part-time 2,500 words). But he keep on sending me project over 4,000 words to complete for one day.

**I have to make clear that I accepted his offer because he gave me his offer over NT$1,000 of another Chinese>English project. Since I never used New Taiwan Dollar before, I did not quite understand what NT$ really meaned. I didn\'t know if he is serious by sending urgent projects every eveving between Mar1-5, I confirmed one project he sent.**

As I had already advised my business trip, but he still sent me the project (4743 words) on Mar., 4 for NT$260(NOW I UNDERSTAND IT\'S ABOUT USD , the day before my trip. I normally work with an English native editor on Chinese>English translation as I have worked with a UK company, for which I have supplied them over 20,000 words for a project on tourism since 1999. Considering he did not care about what I told him, I thought he had not been serious. It happened that on Mar.,5 I had other personnal thing to deal with, so I did not work on the project. When I came back to tell him I did finish the project. Mike became very angry and he used strong words by blaming me. I told him it was not me who did not follow the agreement, it was you Mike who broke at the first time by sending me project over 4,000 words. I reconciled with me by proposing that I might deliver part of translation in the coming ONE hour .

AND THEN I DELIVERED THE 1,109 WORDS IN 1.5 HOURS, which he posted under another thread in this forum.

==LET EVERYONE JUDGE IF GLOSSIKA OR IS HONEST, TRUSTWORTHY==

For translation, to be honest, I seldom have my hands on English>Chinese translation. I\'m working with well-know professors from top universities in China and other native English professionals in the world. The business goes and expand satifactorily!

MIKE, as I told you, it was you initiating a war! You\'re bite your own feet! As I told you you will be ousted, and pay your prices!

I will continue offering my true name service, and Glossika will change names, AND YOU NEVER DARE TO SHOW YOUR TRUE NAME, if you will or will not continue to cheat, threat, make boss of yourself to other Chinese professionals!!!

**The war will end as I will say what I have to say. Chinese people are realistic, peaceloving, peacemaking, mellowfullness, intelligent as well as progressing**

Collapse

Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This should not go on as a dog's fight Mar 14, 2002

Let Mike pay his due price when recuiting freelancers, and if any new agency is willing to recuit freelancers like me just give a sample test.

I hope the war will end in peace!

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:17
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let's end it here, please Mar 14, 2002

Dear Mike and YangJS,

Thank you for letting me and other translators to have the opportunity to learn both sides of the story. I read all the messages you posted in this Forum. I felt your pains and frustrations. Overall I think you both have handled it reasonably civil. I think we should put it to an end. Let�s move on and think over how to perform better tomorrow. Like you both said in your messages, we do not want wars. If love is too far fetch here, I think �considerate�
... See more
Dear Mike and YangJS,

Thank you for letting me and other translators to have the opportunity to learn both sides of the story. I read all the messages you posted in this Forum. I felt your pains and frustrations. Overall I think you both have handled it reasonably civil. I think we should put it to an end. Let�s move on and think over how to perform better tomorrow. Like you both said in your messages, we do not want wars. If love is too far fetch here, I think �considerate� is the word which will work among all of us.

To look at this dispute positively, you both were trying to get the highest quality possible in your translation work. But the problem is that your expectations are different and misunderstood by each other. I also see the gaps in the communication between you two. One thing led to another, and we got to where we are today. I thought about this over a day. If you can pardon me, I would like to say that both of you were trying to do your job well, unfortunately both attributed to the problem. The responsibility is 50/50. That means each of you would be caned 50 times as the Chinese Emperor would order in the old times.

As the moderator in this Forum, please let me say a few words to both of you. My interest is to have everyone learn something positive from this dispute, and something that everyone can remember so as to prevent such situation from happening again.

As a translation coordinator, Mike, I think it is very risky for you to hire a Chinese translator, who does not have lengthy living and education experience in an English- speaking country, to perform a Chinese to English translation and meet a standard you expected. As a well-educated American like yourself, you know what you are expecting from an English translation, but YangJS has no clue about your expectation and quality standard as he perhaps never lived in America and English is not his native language. I have lived in America for 18 years now, my English has no way to compare with my Chinese which is my native language. To select the appropriate translator, one quick way to find out the translator�s English level is to have the translator perform a short sample translation, or exchange emails in English. By doing these checking and testing, you can quickly get the idea what kind of English you are going to get.

I don�t think YangJS was not honest with you when he told you he could translate from Chinese to English. He might have done some English translations for other clients. The thing is, all the companies are different. Some companies he translated for might have an editor in house to polish YangJS�s English translation and they expected his English to be less perfect. This led to another suggestion, if you have to hire a Chinese translator to translate something into English, it is always recommended that you should pair him/her up with an native English speaker as editor. When you fail to do all these work mentioned above, your project is doomed to have hiccups.

As a Chinese translator, YangJS, you should always tell your client clearly how much work you can handle. If your client is pushy and makes you to work overloaded, you should cream laud and clear to tell him/her the volume is over your limit and you cannot handle anymore. If he is not responding your email, send the second, the third email, and/or fax. Anyone would get your point. I think it is very wrong for you to have a translation job in hand and let it pass the due date for whatever reason. I can understand why Mike is so mad at you. It is obviously that he did not get the message you sent about you cannot handle the volume of his work anymore because he is still expecting the translation back from you on time. If you have his job in hand, you should keep sending emails and faxes until he responds and confirms. I know in large offices, sometime emails can get lost or misplaced. So it is always a good idea to send more than one email, and also cc it to other email addresses of the person(s) you try to reach. I know Asian people tend to give soft rejection and declination for face-saving purpose. It does not work very well with westerners because it can be misleading. Please learn to say �No� in a firm and definite manner.

If you felt you are under paid, then negotiate with your client for a better rate. Remember, you can only negotiate for a better rate BEFORE you accept a job, never and never make such a request after you have accepted or have completed a job. It is a free market, you can ask any rate you want, and the client can decide who they want to work with for a job.

We all should educate the clients that it is not wise to rush a translation job, because quality will have to compromise when a translation is rushed, no matter how good a translator is. I think all the translators should learn to turndown rush jobs. I rarely work on rush jobs, especially those rushed without a good reason. I learned painful lesson by working overnight to get rush translation job done, and later the client still would tell you numeral mistakes found. So I never do rush job. As an established translator, your goal is to provide translation that stands for any challenges. Rush job usually cannot help you to build your good clientele, but can easily make damages. Many translation agencies know it is hard to push translators like me for a rush job, instead they went to Asia to work with those translators who are easier to get a job. But the point is, no matter where the translator is at, any human being will make mistakes if he or she is tired and has no time left for proofreading and quality checking.

In case you cannot turndown a rush job, before you accept the job, please make the client understand the feasibility to get the job done on time, and the possible �cutting corner� in the translation process anticipated. Then write all down in the form of an agreement, stating clearly that the translator will try his/her utmost to complete the translation by the time specified with the best of his/her knowledge and capability. Because of the rush nature, the quality and accuracy of the translation might be compromised. The client will accept and pay for the translation produced by the translator �AS IS� by XXXXXX (specific payment date). Then, ask you client to have an authorized manager to sign and print his/her name and job title. Be sure also date it. Such an agreement will really make your client to think twice if it is really worth the effort to proceed. It also protects the translator if there is a backfire after the translation is completed.

Well, I have said what is in my mind for now. It would be nice to see Mike and YangJS can work out a dollar amount as payment for YangJS�s service. I would love to see you both can �shake hand� and let go the unpleasant feelings. Let�s end it here! Take care and good luck!

Kevin

Collapse

Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
退一步,海阔天空! Mar 14, 2002

It is not my style to threat, coerce or badmouth other human beings. It is Mike who first threated to put me on blacklist on Great China regions, which is greatly unfair and unjust to me. If he takes the advantage to do that, it certainly does damage to hardly established fame with some clients in the regions. And it did as it is now.

He told me million times he is a native American(yet later said a European-born American citizen, which I did not care much, even if he is the
... See more
It is not my style to threat, coerce or badmouth other human beings. It is Mike who first threated to put me on blacklist on Great China regions, which is greatly unfair and unjust to me. If he takes the advantage to do that, it certainly does damage to hardly established fame with some clients in the regions. And it did as it is now.

He told me million times he is a native American(yet later said a European-born American citizen, which I did not care much, even if he is the eldest of 8 children), well-paid(a us dollar***year job), rich family history(his father left him US Dollar*** in interest a year), which understates I should admire him as a native. Coercing me if I do not choose deferential vocabulary I will not get paid. Scare is not the word written in my dictionay...

We do learn from past. Thank GLOSSIKA, it DOES MAKE AN EXPERIENCE. And I learn fast in language.

NOTE:For privacy reason, I ommitted the numbers. Since Mike published my name and email contacts without my permission, I may disclose something what he said to me.

**I have told what I have to say already, I will keep my mouth shut from now on until I have to**

QUOTE FROM MIKE: WE NATIVE WILL KNOW AS WE SEE IT

Collapse

Yang JS (X)
Yang JS (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin, your suggestions are constructive Mar 14, 2002

I read your messages, and definitely help me a lot in these regards.

Thank you very much.

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I just receive this email. Let me share with you. Mar 20, 2002

-----Original Message-----

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 6:09 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: [ProZ mail] Frankly Speaking

-----------

You have been sent a message via your Pr
... See more

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 6:09 PM

Subject: [ProZ mail] Frankly Speaking

-----------

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.

Author: Glossika

Author\'s profile: http://www.proz.com/translator/27033

-----------

We could not guarantee his background when he lies. When he contacted us and told us that he\'d been to so many places and speaks English perfectly and had requested projects so many times...we should have known better he was trying to stir up trouble. For all we know, the way he lies, he could be a little child who likes to manipulate people.

Before he started any of our projects, our policies were posted in the emails and he could see that we would not pay if the translation was not of quality standard. He took it at his own risk and can consider it a practice run.

We don\'t really care what you guys are bickering about in this forum. We never posted anything without facts and proof (translations, texts, emails). He has never posted proof, all lies. We did not press him to do our translations, we have many others willing to do them. He was so eager to do them, but he screwed up. He only did one document for the NB website out of more than 100! We did not have these problems with any of the other translators. All he has to do is read our policy and understand that he is not going to get paid. He took the assignments at his own risk because we had to find somebody else to translate the materials.

This guy is like a bomb waiting to explode. He needs to see a psychiatrist before he accidentally goes out and kills somebody. He has called our offices yelling at our secretaries and they have no idea what he\'s talking about. This guy has mental problems. And nobody knows his background. He doesn\'t sound stable.

On the other hand, we have a stable and ethical business environment.

One other thing, we\'re not sure why you\'re the one controlling all of these conversations. Your face itself has popped up on quite a number of bad postings together with William Yang\'s writing so it\'s already quite obvious you are in cahoots with him. So I\'m sure a lot of people are wondering why you\'re together with him sharing his experience when you\'ve never done work for us. We cannot tell if you are lying. Good luck to you.

I hope you all have fun at that forum if it keeps you busy. Real translators will have their work to do and ignore your forums.

-----------

Keep your profile up to date:

http://www.proz.com/translator/2918

To login and edit your profile, go to:

http://www.proz.com/translator/

-----------

Dear email sender and our translators:

I just received this email. It was sent to my personal email address. Now let me share it with you. By the way, sender, I do have a name. My name is Kevin Yang. What is your name, may I ask?

What kind of person you are or company you have should be judged by the others, not by yourself. You tried so hard to pain your eye brows, I think you tried too hard, now they look like two pieces of black tapes stuck on your forehead. I think this email from you tells me a lot about you as a person. When you do not know how to respect the others, you do not get respect back.

I am a proud American Chinese, and English is my second language. You are right, my English is not perfect, but my English is certainly better than you Chinese.

Relax, I am doing a volunteer job here as a moderator in the Chinese Forum. Sorry to hear my picture irritates you. I guess you have to live with it for a while.

I thought Taiwan is a beautiful island. But I do not see any beauty in your email. I wonder why?

Sincerely,

Kevin

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Here comes their 2nd email! Mar 20, 2002

Dear Translators:

Enjoy the reading so far? I just received another one from them. Keep reading, perhaps more to come. This is the entirety of the 2nd email I just received:

Kevin

Sent: Tuesday, Mar
... See more
Dear Translators:

Enjoy the reading so far? I just received another one from them. Keep reading, perhaps more to come. This is the entirety of the 2nd email I just received:

Kevin

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 8:55 PM

Subject: [ProZ mail] Conclusion

-----------

You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.

Author: Glossika

Author\'s profile: http://www.proz.com/translator/27033

-----------

Kevin,

We understand now. Do not call yourself American; you neither understand nor stand for American values.

You\'re deceitful, lying, dishonest, unegalitarianistic, prejudiced, undemocratic, repressive (of free speech), untrustworthy, devious, insincere, and indirect.

These are all opposite of American values. You are a communist and a virus in America. Let those in China be communist and leave them be. This YangJS is an egocentric child. But you know better. Of course, you have the right to express brotherhood with your compatriots, but you should not act like a communist, especially on American soil.

Why have you not posted all of Glossika\'s remarks in the forum? You are not democratic and there is a constitutional right to FREEDOM of speech in a FREE country. We have done nothing but defend ourselves and provide proof and yet you even dare mock. Shame on thyself!

Post this email there too, if you want. Everyone may then understand how insincere you are and how you cannot be trusted.

Michael Stevens

-----------

Keep your profile up to date:

http://www.proz.com/translator/2918

To login and edit your profile, go to:

http://www.proz.com/translator/

-----------

Michael,

Thank you for your email. I think you forgot to mention that we have five folders in the Chinese Forum are related to your topic, since this Forum opened to the public a week ago. You have offered us plenty to read. Now I learned that personal attack and prejudice are filled in you emails. Can you show us your other forte if possible, which, I hope, can be more enlightening and inspiring in a positive way? I do not think I need to add more because the readers can tell by reading your emails, and we five folders of them to read. Enjoy! Kevin

Collapse

Wei Jiang
Wei Jiang
China
Local time: 14:17
German to Chinese
+ ...
This Glossika guy is funny -- Sep 5, 2002

in a peculiar and lousy way, of cource!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I\'m Mike from Glossika

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »