Windows XP and TwinBridge 4.98
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2002

Hi colleagues:

It is a real joy to see the establishment of a Chinese Forum. Thanks for everyone\'s efforts to make this a reality.

Now my question:

I am currently running Windows ME and TwinBridge 4.98 (for ME). I\'m thinking of purchasing a laptop. Almost all new (or even refurbished) laptops or notebooks have Windows XP as the operating system. I called TwinBridge and they told me that TwinBridge 4.98 is not c
... See more
Hi colleagues:

It is a real joy to see the establishment of a Chinese Forum. Thanks for everyone\'s efforts to make this a reality.

Now my question:

I am currently running Windows ME and TwinBridge 4.98 (for ME). I\'m thinking of purchasing a laptop. Almost all new (or even refurbished) laptops or notebooks have Windows XP as the operating system. I called TwinBridge and they told me that TwinBridge 4.98 is not compatible with Windows XP. In other words, I have to purhcase another software. (I honestly do not want to spend the extra money since my desktop was purchased last year.) Then I talked to a software expert (who unfortunately is not familiar with Chinese softwares) and he said that they might be compatible.

I\'m just wondering if there are any colleagues out there who might have Windows XP and found that TwinBridge 4.98 is compatible?

Or any other suggestions relating to Windows XP and Chinese softwares are greatly appreciated.

XIE XIE!!

Regards,

Brenda Wong

Collapse

Glossika (X)
Glossika (X)
Local time: 17:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm Mike from Glossika Mar 14, 2002

Ok, it seems that Glossika might be getting a bad reputation now, but I\'m willing to help you out with this. (Do we get Browniz or Kudoz? Just joking.)

At our agency, we use 2000 and XP systems. The computer I\'m using is 2000, and whenever we have to reinstall Windows we always add all the language capabilities--yes they\'re packaged on the original Windows CD. I think that Microsoft has provided true globalization with the new systems and you shouldn\'t need any extra sof
... See more
Ok, it seems that Glossika might be getting a bad reputation now, but I\'m willing to help you out with this. (Do we get Browniz or Kudoz? Just joking.)

At our agency, we use 2000 and XP systems. The computer I\'m using is 2000, and whenever we have to reinstall Windows we always add all the language capabilities--yes they\'re packaged on the original Windows CD. I think that Microsoft has provided true globalization with the new systems and you shouldn\'t need any extra software no matter what language you want to use. We have done Persian, Thai, Mongolian Cyrillic, anything is possible on these new operating systems.

How do you set up your language options and keyboards? Go to My Computer and go into the Global settings and Keyboard settings and pick and choose what you want. You\'ll need the Windows CD to load in the extra information. And you should also be given some Unicode fonts with it as well.

I don\'t think any extra special language software will need to be used from now on, thanks to Microsoft.
Collapse

Scott Li
Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:12
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows XP Mar 14, 2002

Suggest to buy Windows XP Professional Edition as well as Office XP Professional Edition.

There are built in Chinese input method etc and since Office 2000 or even Office 98, ou can view Far East languages already, so no need to use Twin Bridge for viewing Chinese text.

C.T.T.C.
C.T.T.C.
English to Chinese
WindowsXP : 有利亦有弊。 Mar 14, 2002

WindowsXP的确支持中文简体和繁体的各种输入法。但世面上暂时没有多少个中文文字处理软件兼容与WindowXP(英文版)。我用的是中文之星2001,不兼容与WindowsXP,顶多支持到WindowsME而已。我用的是拼音输入法。我同时也安装了WindowsXP。XP虽然有简体和繁体的拼音输入法;但相比与中文之星2001,也未免太过逊色了。我个人建议继续采用兼容与您得心应手的软件的作业系统。如果硬盘空间允许的话,最好还是用磁盘分区法把WindowsME和XP一起安装。要不、用ME;再不、用XP。鱼与熊掌两者兼得而何乐不为?!

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
The best combination Mar 14, 2002

I think euro\'s suggestion is the best combination. That is what I am using. You can work in any language with this combination. I also use it to do typesetting in Japnese, Korean, Tagalog, hindi in Illustrator and it works without any glitch.

I partitioned my hard drive into four partitions and installed the same Windows XP on each of them but set the non-unidcode support for CHS, CHT, JPN and KRN. When you need a different Windows, just switch to that partition and it beha
... See more
I think euro\'s suggestion is the best combination. That is what I am using. You can work in any language with this combination. I also use it to do typesetting in Japnese, Korean, Tagalog, hindi in Illustrator and it works without any glitch.

I partitioned my hard drive into four partitions and installed the same Windows XP on each of them but set the non-unidcode support for CHS, CHT, JPN and KRN. When you need a different Windows, just switch to that partition and it behaves like a native Windows for that language. If you need more fonts, you can buy the fonts and install in desired partions. Those add-on or shell programs are things of the past.
Collapse

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
Member (2002)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 24, 2002

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. Really appreciated!

vietloan1028
vietloan1028
Local time: 16:12
i want to have twinbridge 4.98, please sent me, mail [email protected] May 12, 2011

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation) wrote:

Hi colleagues:

Now my question:

I am currently running Windows ME and TwinBridge 4.98 (for ME). I\'m thinking of purchasing a laptop. Almost all new (or even refurbished) laptops or notebooks have Windows XP as the operating system. I called TwinBridge and they told me that TwinBridge 4.98 is not compatible with Windows XP. In other words, I have to purhcase another software. (I honestly do not want to spend the extra money since my desktop was purchased last year.) Then I talked to a software expert (who unfortunately is not familiar with Chinese softwares) and he said that they might be compatible.

I\'m just wondering if there are any colleagues out there who might have Windows XP and found that TwinBridge 4.98 is compatible?

Or any other suggestions relating to Windows XP and Chinese softwares are greatly appreciated.

XIE XIE!!

Regards,

Brenda Wong

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP and TwinBridge 4.98

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »