Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 10, 2004

Hello everybody!

Thanks to Zhoudan's organization, we will have a China powwow in Hangzhou on February 15th 2004.

For more information, please visit the powwow page here: http://www.proz.com/powwow/495 and sign up. I will get in contact with you then and let you know details.

Hope to see many of you there!

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
祝贺!! Feb 11, 2004

真想参加!!赏西湖美景,品龙井香茗,会神交已久的朋友,侃天南地北的趣事。可是我去不了!非常遗憾,还有点嫉妒你们。只能遥祝各位:玩得尽兴,聊得开心!!

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May the first Powwow Meeting of the Chinese translators be a success! Feb 11, 2004

This sounds great! Bummer! I cannot make it myself. I assume Green Tea will be the top choice in Hangzhou. I will drink my favorite dark red tea here by the computer (I also like to add sugar into it. One mug of it will keep wake for quite a while.) Be sure to take some nice pictures when you all meet in the Tea House. We can post them in the Chinese Forum. I hope many translators in China will be able to join you in Hangzhou. May the first Powwow meeting of the Chinese translators be a success! Travel safely!

[Edited at 2004-02-11 03:03]

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Feb 12, 2004

It is a pity you will not come to Hangzhou this weekend. I hope we can meet another time. Thank you for the good wishes, though. We will surely take some pictures and show them to you.

Warm wishes,
Stefanie

ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
I wish I could be there too! Feb 12, 2004

Congratulations! I hope all of you will have a wonderful time in Hangzhou!

江南好,风景旧曾谙。日出江花红似火,春来江水绿如蓝。能不忆江南。
江南忆,最忆是杭州。山寺月中寻桂子,郡亭枕上看潮头。何日更重游。
—白居易

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 13:10
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
For those of you who cannot make it.... Feb 13, 2004

I will gulp down all the tea on your behalf!!! *evil grin*

Like Steffi has promised, she will take loads of pictures and post them up. Hmm, maybe I should line up all the yummilicious delicacies and steaming hot tea and snap a really good one for Yueying, Kevin and Mr Fu!! *EVIL GRIN*

FYI, Steffi and I will meet Yongmei and Zhoudan on Saturday first. Zhou Dan is cooking!! Hehehehehe....

Okay, I can feel some icy cold glances fixed on me right now. I had better zip up my mouth. :|

[Edited at 2004-02-13 18:09]

[Edited at 2004-02-13 18:11]

Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Enjoy the party! Feb 13, 2004

Wow, you guys are going to have a party and tons of fun. I wish I could make it but won't be able to this time. Please do upload a lot of photos so that we can share your party spirits.

Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Virtuality will be turned into reality. Feb 14, 2004

Hello, Everyone!

It is wonderful to see you all here!

I am certain that this Powwow meeting is going to be an interesting experience. I would love to read something from our excellent writer Denyce to talk about her experience in meeting in person with the people whom she met online. I hope you will not have to hold a rose and newspaper by the sidewalk waiting to be picked up.

Once I heard from a lady friend about her personal experience of attending a party arranged by a local dating service to meet with a group of people who had already met online. She had talked about it year after year. Having working with you for two years online, I have sort of formed the idea about who's who, because I think I have "met" most of you online or virtually. I wonder what it is like to be able to meet you in person. I think Denyce will have the answer soon. I certainly know well this is different kind of meeting from the party arranged by the dating service, but it is still a meeting where virtuality turned into reality.

Denyce, drink lot of tea and try extra local food for me! Remember, do not worry too much about the weight, chubbiness is still considered as the virtual beauty of women in many cultures.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-02-14 06:26]

Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your anticipated 1st Chinese Powwow Photos are here! Feb 20, 2004

Hello, People!

With everyone's authorization, Zhou Dan emailed me 4 photos taken during their recent Powwow Meeting in Hangzhou. I am posting them here to share with you their joyful gathering in Hangzhou, China. I hope someone from the group will write something about it and posted here for all of us to read.

Look at all those nice food on the table! I heard that the cost was only RMB 54 Yuan per person. That was very reasonable, indeed. A cup of Starbuck here is about that price. Look at Yongmei in the second picture, I can see his eyes are glowing when enjoying the delicious Green Tea and the Chinese food!

I want to thank Zhou Dan, Denyce, Sundari, Yongmei, Raffaela and Macey for making this first Chinese Powwow meeting happened in Hangzhou, China, in February, 2004! Good job!

Kevin

P.S.

If you push hard enough, they migh want to share more photos with you.

Photo 4802: Denyce and Sundari

Photo 4803: Yongmei and Macey

Photo 4805: Sundari and Raffaela

Photo 4808 (from left to right): Sundari, Zhoudan, Denyce, Louisyang, Raffaela, Yongmei

[Edited at 2004-02-20 02:48]

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Feb 20, 2004

Thank you for putting up the pictures here! Nice to see them.

Here is a small report (can also be read at http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_reports_view&powwow_id=495):

"Some of us, namely Zhoudan, Itranzlate, Denyce and I, made our Powwow in Hangzhou a two-day meeting as Zhoudan had invited us to her place to have delicious self-made (by herself and various parts of her family !!) Chinese dinner and afterwards a guided tour through her office, which must be a paradise for every translator (at least every English-Chinese translator) with dictionaries over dictionaries and all kinds of other translation-related equipment

Thank you, Zhoudan!!

The next morning, after a stroll through sunny Hangzhou with a view of the famous Westlake, we all met at one of Hangzhou's many teahouses to have our Powwow. It turned out to be a very interesting meeting where we exchanged our experiences with translating, interpreting, rates, proz, agencies and so on (and of course enjoyed the famous tea and loads of yummy Chinese snacks).

It was definitely a very interesting day and great to see some of the "cyber-colleagues in reality!

Thank you all for coming and making this Powwow happen. I hope we will meet again! Happy Translating!!

Sundari

[Edited at 2004-02-21 12:21]

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sundari, Zhou Dan , Denyce, et al.: more pics, please! Feb 20, 2004

We cannot wait!:-)

sundari wrote:

Thank you for putting up the pictures here! Nice to see them.

Here is a small report (can also be read at http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_reports_view&powwow_id=495):

"Some of us, namely Zhoudan, Itranzlate, Denyce and I, made our Powwow in Hangzhou a two-day meeting as Zhoudan had invited us to her place to have delicious self-made (by herself and various parts of her family !!) Chinese dinner and afterwards a guided tour through her office, which must be a paradise for every translator (at least every English-Chinese translator) with dictionaries over dictionaries and all kinds of other translation-related equipment?

Thank you, Zhoudan!!

The next morning, after a stroll through sunny Hangzhou with a view of the famous Westlake, we all met at one of Hangzhou's many teahouses to have our Powwow. It turned out to be a very interesting meeting where we exchanged our experiences with translating, interpreting, rates, proz, agencies and so on (and of course enjoyed the famous tea and loads of yummy Chinese snacks).

It was definitely a very interesting day and great to see some of the "cyber-colleagues?in reality!

Thank you all for coming and making this Powwow happen. I hope we will meet again! Happy Translating!!

Sundari

PS: If you can, why not put up the pictures at the powwow page also?

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
照片都在这里了! Feb 20, 2004

剩下的都惨不忍睹,并没有藏下好的。这里提供的照片都是 Yongmei 拍摄和编辑的。谢谢 Yongmei!
有机会组织这次活动,我觉得很高兴,感谢 Yongmei 兄不辞劳苦,远道而来,感谢 Denyce 和 Sundari 积极响应,把活动变成了一次真正的 Powwow,在 proz 上留下了记录。我更感谢 RaffaelaG,是她发来邮件询问 Powwow 的举办情况,才使我下决心组织这次活动。虽然参加人数不多,只有七个人,却包括了五个国籍:中、美、意、德、新,称得上国际会议了!可以想象,当门铃响起,Yongmei, Denyce 和 Sundari 鲜活地出现在我家的门厅时,我在组织活动时所经历的担心和 frustration 都烟消云散了,剩下的只有感激。大家一见如故,毫无拘束陌生之感。说起话来更是畅所欲言,感觉非常轻松、舒服。我自从走出大学校门,已经很久没有这样痛快说话了!
这次聚会主要讨论了自由译者关心的问题:CAT 工具的使用和投资、翻译费、翻译业务的渠道等等。虽然我有两次机会跟 Yongmei, Denyce 和 Sundari 接触(一次在我家里,一次在茶馆),但总觉得很多话题只是浅尝辄止,没有说透,希望以后私下详谈,只是 email 和电话总比不上面对面来得痛快。
聚总是暂时的,散才是永远的。当我们在茶馆门口互道珍重,握手告别时,我心里不禁涌起一阵惆怅,这感觉至今仍在我心头萦绕,我会永远记住这次聚会——我的第一次网上译友聚会。再一次感谢所有参加此次聚会的朋友。
最后补充一点:另外两位参加聚会的女士是我的好朋友,也是 proz 的会员,都在杭州。Macey 在本地一家晚报任副刊编辑,经常刊登翻译方面的文章,这次我们的聚会,她也专门写了报道,在今天的副刊上刊登了,她自己也在从事文学翻译,是个很勤奋的人。
希望以后能再有机会举办这样的活动。也欢迎其他译友经过杭州时到我家坐坐。

[Edited at 2004-02-20 22:59]

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
恭 喜 成 功 , 分 享 快 乐 :) Feb 20, 2004

Zhoudan, Sundari 及 各 位 :

很 高 兴 能 看 到 诸 位 的 “庐 山 真 面 目 ” 以 及 你 们 的 聚 会 圆 满 成 功 , 当 然 不 免 有 些 遗 憾 未 能 参 加 , 所 以 也 就 不 能 分 享 你 们 将 继 续 私 下 详 谈 的 “业 务 秘 密 ”啦

Zhoudan, 没 想 到 你 做 菜 也 有 两 手 !

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
boom boom POWWOW POWWOW!! Feb 20, 2004

Yongmei will have more pictures. I'm sure he'll post them here when he's back in US. But of course... the pictures have to go through MY stringent censoring process. Basically, here are the guidelines for pictures that can be posted:
- Denyce's eyes are open
- Denyce does not look F.A.T.
- Denyce is smiling

I was supposed to write a report but recently I was bogged down by quite a few projects. I'm still with one right now but I guess I should take a few minutes to pen down my thoughts about this POWWOW meeting. Get your popcorns, grab a can of Coke, snuggle up and here weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee go:

Day 1: 3pm
Half an hour after sundari and I checked in to the 5-star Hangzhou Grand Hyatt Hotel *1* (this is a footnote, check this out last), Yongmei arrived. When he banged on our door (yes, my 5-star hotel did not have a doorbell), I had to greet him with a pair of sleepy eyes and probably saliva dried up at the corner of my mouth too. Well, sundari and I had burnt a whole night of oil the day before and so we were deadbeat and totally knocked out after we hit the bed (5-star hotel beds are just soooo wooo-la-la). Anyway, let's go back to Yongmei who was standing at my doorstep. Ahem. He shook my hands!! He actually SHOOK MY HANDS!!! Haha. Well, I was expecting a hot, passionate hug but oh well, a handshake is better than nothing. He wanted to get us to explore the place with him but we, the two princesses, were just too conked out to even drag ourselves out of that room. I proposed to meet at 4pm (Hmm, or was it 5pm??? Whatever!!) so we can go to Westlake for a stroll before we head up to Zhou Dan's place for dinner. Gosh, I have to at least tell people I've been to Westlake in Hangzhou, don't I?? And I know if I post some pictures of Westlake here, Yueying, Mr Fu and Kevin will turn soooooo green with envy!! Haha.

At 4pm (or 5pm... I've already said I forgot!!), we met up in the lobby. Yongmei was late. A gentleman he is. But I forgave him because he brought a map. That's very important coz Missy Denyce here has no sense of direction at all and there's no way I can find Westlake without a map. Westlake.... hmm.. do I head West where the sun rises?? *wink*

Westlake is a piece of heaven!! We had to take some pictures of course and that "lao wai" (foreigner) sundari insisted on finding a special stone which has the characters "xi hu" engraved on it. We had to walk around the whole of Westlake, take a boat ride, walk another 5 miles, swim 200 meters and cross a paddy field before we found that stone. Mission completed and it was time to head to Zhou Dan's place.

That's all for now, folks. Can I stop here??? I have to work!! I'll be back soon with more, okay??? (Even Lord of the Rings come in three episodes!!! Mine should take four!)

1. Haha, I wish!! It's a small hotel but it was very clean and cosy. Luckily, Zhou Dan booked us this room way in advance. If sundari and I were to just pop up at the counter asking for a room, we'll end up sleeping in the streets. Hellooooo, it's VALENTINE'S DAY... couples are flocking to the hotels *shake head*

[Edited at 2004-02-20 17:26]

[Edited at 2004-02-20 17:29]

[Edited at 2004-02-20 17:31]

[Edited at 2004-02-21 10:47]

ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congratulations! Feb 21, 2004

祝贺“一大”胜利闭幕!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow in Hangzhou

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs