Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Payrates
Thread poster: xxxLiebling
xxxLiebling
Local time: 16:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 19, 2002

How come the competition in Taiwan is so tough but Glossika has still paid me fairly and appreciated my quality work? I have worked for them as a freelance translator for about a year.

I wonder if the translation market and price competition is as tough in America and Canada like it is in Taiwan. Don\'t the prices get driven down or clients just don\'t care?

-Liebling

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not ALL translators have the pay rate problem. Mar 20, 2002

Liebing,

Thank you for your input. It is true that not ALL translators have the pay rate problem. As long as the translator is happy, any rate is fair. As form me, I sometimes translate poems or ads for free, because I enjoy the challenge of such jobs. But, for those who have to make a living by providing translation service, I wonder when a rate goes too low if it will invite abusive treatment from their clients.

Please read our other folders and share with us your thought.

Kevin

Yang JS
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Lada of the industry Mar 20, 2002

I quote from another translator

xxxLiebling
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Kevin and J.S. Mar 21, 2002

谢谢两位的建议,十分有帮助。

我还有另外一个问题,全世界的中文翻译市场似乎价格都偏低,为什么? 不知道在大陆的情形如何? 而翻译又该如何面对以及处理这样的问题呢?

xxxLiebling
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How come my picture doesn’t show up? Mar 21, 2002

Kevin,

Everybody is so proud of your picture, how come my picture doesn’t show up?

-Liebling

Yang JS
English to Chinese
+ ...
全世界的中文翻译市场似乎价格都偏低, 是吗? Mar 21, 2002

全世界的中文翻译市场似乎价格都偏低, 是吗?

至于大陆的翻译价格?会高起来的!

Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Now I know why you are "invisible". Mar 21, 2002

Hi, Liebling

I am glad you told me you have trouble to get your pic posted. Otherwise I would think you did a super good job to disguise yourself.

I think everyone should have his or her pic posted. Your pic can make people feel they are communicating with you as a real person, instead of a computer. That is how I feel about the virtual world of the Internet business.

Thank you for mentioning about my pic. But our mutual friend in Taiwan found it is annoying because it seems in every folder here. Well, I can improve my English, but I cannot improve my look.

To answer your question as how to post your picture at ProZ.com, I do not know you have trouble at which procedure, but this is what I did as I can remember:

1. Search your photo album and select a photo of yourself that shows clearly your eyes, it not necessarily has to be your passport photo. If you cannot find one, passport photo is just fine.

2. Then scan it and save it as a file format called \"JPEG\". This is the file format I like to use for photos.

3. Launch your photo editing software program. I like to use PhotoShop. Open your pic file you just scanned.

4. Select \"Crop Tool\" to select the area you want to show in the pic. Then save it as \"Liebling_pic\".

5. In the PhotoShop menu bar, choose \"Image\", then select \"Image Size\".

6. In the \"Pixel Dimentions\" area, set the Width as \" 200\" pixels, and at the Height as \"320\" pixels. The resolution as \"150\". Save the file. Do not close the file yet. Take a look at the pic, if you think is big, then you can proportionally reduce the size, but do not increase the size anymore.

7. Now you have a photo that is called \"Liebling_pic\" that ProZ.com can use. Be sure to save it in a folder you can find in you computer.

10. Now register yourself at ProZ.com. Follow the steps and write a nice and honest bio for yourself. At end of it, at Upload your photo or image, select the Browse and find your pic you just saved, click OK

8. Click one time Submit at the bottom of the page. Your job is done.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
Isn't that you? Mar 22, 2002

I have seen a nice picture of a lady in wedding dress named Liebling. Isn\'t that you?

I am wondering why your picture doesn\'t show up here, neigher your name and language paires, since they are showing aside your postings.

xxxLiebling
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No it's not me Mar 22, 2002

Hi Xiaoping:

I don\'t think the one that you\'ve seen is me.We do pictures like this all the time in Taiwan, just for fun And I\'ve been told you guys do that in China too, right?

-Liebling

Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How can this happen? Mar 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 02:15, xiaoping wrote:

I have seen a nice picture of a lady in wedding dress named Liebling. Isn\'t that you?

I am wondering why your picture doesn\'t show up here, neigher your name and language paires, since they are showing aside your postings.

Hi, Xiaoping,

Are you sure? How could this happen? Might be someone has the same name? Or try again by wearing a Chinese dress this time. Just kidding!

Xiaoping, it\'s nice to see you \"in person\". We can say \"hello\" now if we bump into each other in the street.

Kevin

Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think Xiaoping is right. Mar 22, 2002

I think Xiaoping is right. I also saw the lady\'s pic. The problem is probably that the pic simension is too large and could not be compress to fit in the small frame here.

Liebling, please open your pic file in PhotoShop and choose Image>Image Size and set the width to 200. Make sure you check the \"Constrain Proportions\" so that the Height of the pic is compressed proportionally with the width. Then reload the new picture. It should work.

xxxLiebling
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You'll recognize me!!! Mar 22, 2002

Hi Xiaoping and Bin,

Gotta say hi to me next time you guys see ME on the street

-Liebling

Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
Why no name either? Mar 22, 2002

I don\'t think the problem is the picture\'s size. If it is too big, the server will not accept it.

The amazing is that her name and language pairs don\'t show up here either, which have nothing to do with the picture size.

She probably should contact the technical support guy.

Chinese to English
+ ...
YES Mar 22, 2002

Yeah, you are right. No name and language pair either.

Chinese to English
+ ...
Let's talk more about rate Mar 22, 2002

Let me give a little bright side of Chinese translation rate in the US while we are at it. I regularly work with about 40+ agencies and half a dozen direct clients. My translation-only rate (excluding proofreading/editing) for agencies has been higher than the above range in Euros for nearly three years, definitely not 5 cents. I usually charge more than 5 cents for proofreading/editing. My interpretation rate is also higher than the above range and I have two interpretation assignments this month, one simultaneous and one court deposition. Therefore, charging higher than average does not necessarily put us out of work.

I think rate is not only a quality or on time delivery issue. It also has to do with our marketing effort. If you market yourself well and if you not only produce quality work but also convince people to agree with you that your quality is indeed good, then they are willing to pay a little more, in terms of both money and respect. My website has probably helped me in this regard, as I have maintained a web presence since 1996. There are still agencies that are willing to pay a little higher to translators so that they can get quality work and keep their clients. Those agencies that pay sweat shop rate probably will not last too long anyway. They are not the right people we really want to work with in the first place. Yesterday, I had a US agency offering me $800 to translation 13,556 Chinese characters into English. I told them it is less than one third of my normal rate and turn down the job. This brings up another issue. Should we keep lowering our rate just to get the job? If we keep doing that, they will be spoiled and come back next time with even less.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-05 09:33 ]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payrates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs