https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/19010-kudoz_points_reliable_can_you_answer_your_own_question.html

KudoZ Points - Reliable? (can you answer your own question?)
Thread poster: Yuejun LIU
Yuejun LIU
Yuejun LIU
Local time: 06:36
English to Chinese
Mar 4, 2004

I've found KudoZ Points may be treating.
One may ask a question, answer it himself, and gets four points in a minute.
I've done this with 春辉条, a question asked before but I thought wrong.
What's your opinion?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:36
SITE FOUNDER
There are checks in place Mar 4, 2004

It is not possible for a logged-in member to answer her own question.

There are ways to trick the system and grade own's own answer. But members and moderators tend to notice, and there are many ways to investigate. So it seems that cheating is controllable.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A KudoZ-question asker should NEVER answer his own KudoZ question. Mar 4, 2004

Thank you, Yuejun, for the question! I noticed you posted it twice. When you post a message here, you only need to post it once and wait it to be vetted by the moderators.

Your question and concern is very much appreciated. Please be sure to bring it to the attention of the management whenever you have one. Thank Henry for the timely response! What I want to add here is that a KudoZ-question asker should NEVER answer his own KudoZ question. It is strictly restricted by ProZ.com tha
... See more
Thank you, Yuejun, for the question! I noticed you posted it twice. When you post a message here, you only need to post it once and wait it to be vetted by the moderators.

Your question and concern is very much appreciated. Please be sure to bring it to the attention of the management whenever you have one. Thank Henry for the timely response! What I want to add here is that a KudoZ-question asker should NEVER answer his own KudoZ question. It is strictly restricted by ProZ.com that the asker answers a KudoZ question that is asked by the same asker himself. However, the asker is entitled to grade the answer(s) offered by other translators to his KudoZ question, but at no circumstance that he is allowed to answer his own question.

This is the first time that we address this issue in the Chinese Forum. Let us prevent it together from happening again.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-03-05 20:11]
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's a very nice answer! Mar 4, 2004

Thanks again, Henry!

Henry wrote:

It is not possible for a logged-in member to answer her own question.

There are ways to trick the system and grade own's own answer. But members and moderators tend to notice, and there are many ways to investigate. So it seems that cheating is controllable.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't worry about it. Mar 6, 2004

I don't think we need to worry about that kind of behavior. 俗话讲,“人在做,天在看”,人们自有公论。

By the way (it's nothing to do with 春辉条), I suggest some TRANSLATORS (not “language learners” as defined by Kudoz) had better do some homework before posting some very easy questions. Please keep in mind that it might generate negative impressions to your qualifications as a translator. This is an advice, not offence.

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Kudoz - A Temptress??? Mar 7, 2004

Geez, Kudoz is indeed a temptress. I have to admit that when I first got in to Proz, I was completely sucked in. You see your Kudoz points going up and up and you get totally overwhelmed with a sense of satisfaction when you get a "Congratulation" email.....

But well, this is just a phase. You'll get out of it soon. You'll learn to realise that Kudoz is a great place to be in, not to grab points, but to learn and share with all your peers.

Another lesson I have learnt
... See more
Geez, Kudoz is indeed a temptress. I have to admit that when I first got in to Proz, I was completely sucked in. You see your Kudoz points going up and up and you get totally overwhelmed with a sense of satisfaction when you get a "Congratulation" email.....

But well, this is just a phase. You'll get out of it soon. You'll learn to realise that Kudoz is a great place to be in, not to grab points, but to learn and share with all your peers.

Another lesson I have learnt from participating in Kudoz is how to be an "adult". I learned how to take objections, challenges and sometimes even mean words. I still remember that in one of my first few answers, I had a direct clash with Yueyin. I "hated" her (haha, he didn't have his photo up then so I thought he is a "her"). But hey, we're chums now. He taught me many things and I admire how he always answers his Kudoz questions. If you notice, he'll not just dump in his answer but instead, he'll give loads of information to make you get the whole picture. Personally, I think that's the real spirit of Kudoz. He could probably have won himself 4 Kudoz points using just one minute of his time but yet he chose to spend 15 minutes more to search for information and explain to the asker. More time for the same 4 Kudoz points... call him dumb but hey, he's the one who wins admiration at the end of the day.

Lao sun, that is quite a moving piece, eh??? Is your Kleenex soaking wet now???!!

[Edited at 2004-03-07 11:19]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Does Kudoz point matter? Mar 8, 2004

Kudoz points will help a translator get more attention from translation agencies and clients, but I don't think they would depend largely on the points when deciding whether or not to offer you jobs. Professional agencies would still check your resume, experience and references among other factors.

Some good translators have many points, but some good ones may not necessarily have many. Some of them are too busy to participate. Some may have no interest. On the other hand, a
... See more
Kudoz points will help a translator get more attention from translation agencies and clients, but I don't think they would depend largely on the points when deciding whether or not to offer you jobs. Professional agencies would still check your resume, experience and references among other factors.

Some good translators have many points, but some good ones may not necessarily have many. Some of them are too busy to participate. Some may have no interest. On the other hand, a person having many points is not necessarily a good translator. If someone has nothing to do and sits there the whole day, choosing and answering those very easy questions, his or her points may pick up very quickly.

Some answerers are not very careful about their answers. They just drop a few words in a hurry hoping to hit the “jackpot”. This is irresponsible not only to the others but also to themselves. When they display a stupid answer, they also put themselves on display. They may need to hide their answers in a hurry after they display them in a hurry.

I learned a lot not only from asking but also from answering. I also think friendship is much more valuable than Kudoz points. I made some good friends through Kudoz and I feel honored when they pay me respect. In this sense, Kudoz Q&A does matter.

Denyce,

Thank you very much for your warm words, but I am not as gentle as you think and not as “dumb” as you said.

I don't need Kleenex. Save it for yourself. I just dig a deep hole in my backyard and then crawl in.
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Gardener Mar 8, 2004

Denyce,

Thank you very much for your warm words, but I am not as gentle as you think and not as “dumb” as you said.

I don't need Kleenex. Save it for yourself. I just dig a deep hole in my backyard and then crawl in.
[/quote]

Haha... you're still with your gardening job!! Have fun!! *wink*

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you for the input, Yueyin and denyce! Mar 14, 2004

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Some good translators have many points, but some good ones may not necessarily have many. Some of them are too busy to participate. Some may have no interest. On the other hand, a person having many points is not necessarily a good translator. If someone has nothing to do and sits there the whole day, choosing and answering those very easy questions, his or her points may pick up very quickly.

Yueyin and denyce,

Thank you for the inputs! I want to give you two thumbs up! KudoZ points are important, yet I enjoy more the process to prepare an answer and the learning opportunity by reading other translators' suggestions. For those challenging questions and those askers who understand the importance to respect others, I usually enjoy helping them more.

By the way, you both are doing a good job and please keep up with it!

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-03-14 03:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ Points - Reliable? (can you answer your own question?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »