JJW
JJW
United States
Local time: 02:03
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 11, 2004

Hi all,

I use Windows 98 English version. And I use the "global office" program which allows me to create Word documents in Chinese using Unicode. But how could I input Chinese when I am online (eg. writing an email or asking a question in this forum in Chinese, etc)? What are my options short of installing the Chinese version of Windows?

I know this question may be really elementary to all you computer wizards out there, any advice/idea is greatly appreciated.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:03
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
NJStar Mar 11, 2004

Hi JJW,

Welcome!

I guess for us users of non-Chinese operating systems, the only solution for Chinese input is to use a software. I personally use NJStar Communicator (南极星) and as you can see... it works! With this programme you can read and input Chinese (simplified and traditional), Japanese and Korean characters.

It is widely available in China. I don't know about other countries tho
... See more
Hi JJW,

Welcome!

I guess for us users of non-Chinese operating systems, the only solution for Chinese input is to use a software. I personally use NJStar Communicator (南极星) and as you can see... it works! With this programme you can read and input Chinese (simplified and traditional), Japanese and Korean characters.

It is widely available in China. I don't know about other countries though.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!
Stefanie
Collapse

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
If okay for Word, why not online? Mar 12, 2004

I definitely understand your concern, since I use a version of Windows based on English! As far as I know, there is no reason for you to consider using Chinese Windows, which is expensive in the states, not to mention fairly incompatible with much of Microsoft's other products.

There are four approaches to this problem:

1) Install Chinese Windows, which will give you full access to Chinese input no matter what the environment. Note that simplified Chinese and tradition
... See more
I definitely understand your concern, since I use a version of Windows based on English! As far as I know, there is no reason for you to consider using Chinese Windows, which is expensive in the states, not to mention fairly incompatible with much of Microsoft's other products.

There are four approaches to this problem:

1) Install Chinese Windows, which will give you full access to Chinese input no matter what the environment. Note that simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese versions of Windows can't always "talk" to one another...

2) Install NJStar or Richwin, which are designed to read/write Chinese using English-based programs. I use Richwin and have LOTS of problems with it; I can read and write most anything, but some of my e-mail recipients cannot read what I send. Both can be purchased and downloaded online.

3) Purchase a full version of Chinese software from Microsoft on-line, which allows you to read and write when and where you like. Don't know if this costs money. I believe if you are a registered user of Windows, it is free and can be regularly updated.

4) See a Chinese software expert who can tell you why you can use your current software in Word, but NOT online or in your e-mail. Seems bizarre to me. You probably just don't know how to use it properly...

Have fun!

Bruce Humes
Collapse

HymnLau
HymnLau
China
Local time: 14:03
English to Chinese
+ ...
http://www.njstar.com/ Mar 12, 2004

You can get a free demo of NJSTAR Communicator 2.30 there.

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Try MS Global Input Method, which can be downloaded free online. Mar 13, 2004

As Microsoft claims, with this you can even input Thai language.

JJW
JJW
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Mar 19, 2004

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions. After a bit more research and evaluating my options, I ended up downloading the Microsoft Global IME for Chinese, and it has worked pretty well since. The only funny thing is, I downloaded the traditional version as I only work with traditional characters, but I often find myself having to use the simplied encoding to read it. I've emailed some friends in the US who told me they could only read my words using simplied encoding even thoug... See more
Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions. After a bit more research and evaluating my options, I ended up downloading the Microsoft Global IME for Chinese, and it has worked pretty well since. The only funny thing is, I downloaded the traditional version as I only work with traditional characters, but I often find myself having to use the simplied encoding to read it. I've emailed some friends in the US who told me they could only read my words using simplied encoding even though the words do appear in traditional characters. Also, I just replied to a Kudoz question, but after it's been posted, again, I can only read it by activitaing simplied encoding.

Let's try this:

杮樢柍堦暔 壗檤庝恛毢

Can you read the ten words above? With traditional or simplified encoding?

Thanks again.
Collapse

Yuejun LIU
Yuejun LIU
English to Chinese
Can't read either with traditional or simplified encoding. Mar 20, 2004

JJW wrote:

Let's try this:

杮樢柍堦暔 壗檤庝恛毢

Thanks again.

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Why not download the simplified version as well? Mar 20, 2004

JJW wrote:

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions. After a bit more research and evaluating my options, I ended up downloading the Microsoft Global IME for Chinese, and it has worked pretty well since. The only funny thing is, I downloaded the traditional version as I only work with traditional characters, but I often find myself having to use the simplied encoding to read it. I've emailed some friends in the US who told me they could only read my words using simplied encoding even though the words do appear in traditional characters. Also, I just replied to a Kudoz question, but after it's been posted, again, I can only read it by activitaing simplied encoding.

Let's try this:

杮樢柍堦暔 壗檤庝恛毢

Thanks again.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Before you input in forum ProZ.com, you have to choose one encoding in IE page Mar 20, 2004

I can read it in encoding Japanese ( Shift-JIS ? ) , it shows in TCH.

I input it here in Unicode HTML, it should be shown in any encoding, if you have installed universal characters font from Office Tools.

Here is what you input :

本來無一物
何處惹塵埃

Let me know if you can read it without changing any encoding.

Before you input in forum ProZ.com, you have
... See more

I input it here in Unicode HTML, it should be shown in any encoding, if you have installed universal characters font from Office Tools.

Here is what you input :

本來無一物
何處惹塵埃

Before you input in forum ProZ.com, you have to choose one encoding in IE page, then you will get your input in that encoding.

Bon courage !
Collapse

wydcac
wydcac
English to Chinese
try to chech this Mar 22, 2004

Yuejun Liu wrote:

JJW wrote:

Let's try this:

杮樢柍堦暔 壗檤庝恛毢

Thanks again.

举头望明月,低头思故乡

wydcac
wydcac
English to Chinese
Re: hehehe Mar 22, 2004

chance wrote:

Here is what you input :

本來無一物
何處惹塵埃

Before you input in forum ProZ.com, you have to choose one encoding in IE page, then you will get your input in that encoding.

Bon courage !

为什么我发的不见了呢?

Why i cannot see what i have inputted?

JJW
JJW
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is frustrating.... Mar 22, 2004

Hi Chance,

Thank you. Your reply on March 20th shows correctly what I had typed in my original message. But apparently other people aren't able to read them. And now even I am not able to read them in my original with either encoding..... What's going on here? You said I need to first choose an encoding, but how do I do that? Do I just go to "View" and "Encoding" and then click on "Traditional Chinese" before I start typing in Chinese?

And my heartfelt thanks for all of
... See more
Hi Chance,

Thank you. Your reply on March 20th shows correctly what I had typed in my original message. But apparently other people aren't able to read them. And now even I am not able to read them in my original with either encoding..... What's going on here? You said I need to first choose an encoding, but how do I do that? Do I just go to "View" and "Encoding" and then click on "Traditional Chinese" before I start typing in Chinese?

And my heartfelt thanks for all of you who have replied.
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, that is what you should do. Mar 22, 2004

JJW wrote:
You said I need to first choose an encoding, but how do I do that? Do I just go to "View" and "Encoding" and then click on "Traditional Chinese" before I start typing in Chinese?

I can still read your Chinese input in "Shift-JIS" ( I am not sure if it is correct in English, in my French vision it is "D�cal�-JIS" encoding).

If you want to read wydcac's Chinese input, you should change the encoding into GB2312.

Good luck and some more try, you will have it !

JJW
JJW
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about this? Mar 30, 2004

иㄓ拜笵礚緇杠 冻獵ぱ瞺

Does it work this time? I've selected tradtional chinese encoding before I typed the 14 words. Can you read them now?

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes. Mar 31, 2004

These characters display well.

JJW wrote:

иㄓ拜笵礚緇杠 冻獵ぱ瞺

Does it work this time? I've selected tradtional chinese encoding before I typed the 14 words. Can you read them now?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to input Chinese online?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »