https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/22241-the_best_way_to_pay_a_translator_in_china.html

The best way to pay a translator in China
Thread poster: chance (X)
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 22, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know what is the best way to pay a translator in China from Europe.

Has anyone tried to get payment in China via moneybookers.com?

If payment made by bank transfer from Hong Kong, which Hong Kong bank is the most easy and economic one?

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
Jun

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
by check or wire transfer Jun 23, 2004

Hi Chance,

There is no way for a China-based translator to get paid via Moneybooker or PayPal, so far as I know. My client in Europe normally pays me by wire transfer, with the transfer fee on their account.

Regards,

Zhoudan

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Zhoudan, Jun 24, 2004

I really appreciate that you took time to give me this information.

But I still wonder if someone in China has really tried moneybookers.

I can also pay by wire transfer, with the transfer fee over 35 euros for a payment about 70 euros?!

Anyway, thank you very much

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Paypal / Moneybooker Jun 24, 2004

I know of Chinese translators who accept Paypal payment. You need to have a credit card from certain banks to be able to draw out the money from your Paypal account.

Cheque payment is quite a hassle. It usually needs 1-2 months to get the cheques through. I was at the bank two days again to deposit a cheque from a Canadian client. The bank officer said I have to wait one month for the cheque to clear, and the BAD news is: I have to pay US$25 processing fee. It's a US$300 cheque, fo
... See more
I know of Chinese translators who accept Paypal payment. You need to have a credit card from certain banks to be able to draw out the money from your Paypal account.

Cheque payment is quite a hassle. It usually needs 1-2 months to get the cheques through. I was at the bank two days again to deposit a cheque from a Canadian client. The bank officer said I have to wait one month for the cheque to clear, and the BAD news is: I have to pay US$25 processing fee. It's a US$300 cheque, for Pete's sake! That's 8% and XXX characters I have to translate!!!!!

Bank transfer is an alternative but then again, there are charges involved. Sometimes the clients cover it, but you do get clients who ask to 50-50 with you, or................ YOU have to bear it all.

I think the last option is the best!! Sort this out with your translator before you guys go ahead with the project.
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Denyce :) Jun 24, 2004

In fact, I have my family and some friends in China to help me in this kind of situation, but it is difficult to continue the cooperation in this way, isn抰 it?

Let抯 hope China will be more flexible in banking management.

Good night

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
^-^ Jun 24, 2004

chance wrote:

Let\'s hope China will be more flexible in banking management.

Good night

That\'s true:)

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Paypal.... Jun 24, 2004

Well, there are indeed a lot of restrictions here that make a translator's life as T.O.U.G.H. as a piece of old steak! Right now, I am having problems with website access!! I have this Taiwanese Chinese translation on hand, and I NEED information from Taiwanese websites. Out of 10 websites, I'd be considered lucky if I can get through to three!! *ARRGHHHH*

Okay, that's out of the topic.....

Gosh, it's 3:27am now!! Bed time.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.z.z

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
0.1% only! Jun 25, 2004

denyce wrote:
Cheque payment is quite a hassle. It usually needs 1-2 months to get the cheques through. I was at the bank two days again to deposit a cheque from a Canadian client. The bank officer said I have to wait one month for the cheque to clear, and the BAD news is: I have to pay US$25 processing fee. It\'s a US$300 cheque, for Pete\'s sake! That\'s 8% and XXX characters I have to translate!!!!!

Which bank you went to? To my best knowledge, Both Bank of China and Bank of Communications charge only 0.1% for processing fees for Cheques or Bank Drafts. But it seems that ICBC charges a lot more.

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
It only cost me around RMB30 + small percentage charge Jun 25, 2004

But with the Bank of China, the banking fee is not that much.

denyce wrote:

and the BAD news is: I have to pay US$25 processing fee. It's a US$300 cheque, for Pete's sake! That's 8% and XXX characters I have to translate!!!!!

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Accumulate and pay the total Jun 25, 2004

I agree with my clients that we have payments of small jobs accumulated to a certain sum, say USD200 or more and then we'll settle the payment by cheque.

chance wrote:

I really appreciate that you took time to give me this information.

But I still wonder if someone in China has really tried moneybookers.

I can also pay by wire transfer, with the transfer fee over 35 euros for a payment about 70 euros?!

Anyway, thank you very much

HymnLau
HymnLau
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
:-) Jun 26, 2004

Zhoudan wrote:

But with the Bank of China, the banking fee is not that much.

denyce wrote:

and the BAD news is: I have to pay US$25 processing fee. It's a US$300 cheque, for Pete's sake! That's 8% and XXX characters I have to translate!!!!!

Before I accept my check, the bank also told me the charge is only RMB30+0.1%, but when I clear it, the clearing of check consume me almost 8%. Bank Staff's reply cannot be polite a little bit more:" yea! we only earn RMB30 + 0.1% from this trade, but you must pay XXX to A, pay XXX to B,...."

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Bank of China Jun 26, 2004

I did the cheque clearances through BOC! First cheque was US$40 and they took off US$25. What's amazing is that it's a "Made in Hong Kong" cheque!! The bank officer said I could go to Shanghai and cash it out at the HSBC bank.......... yeah right, a 5 hours train journey for that US$40?! So I HAD to do it through the bank............ all GRUMPY and stuff....

I'll be leaving China in August so I guess I don't have to deal with this anymore!! Phew. Hmm, but I reckon it'll be the some
... See more
I did the cheque clearances through BOC! First cheque was US$40 and they took off US$25. What's amazing is that it's a "Made in Hong Kong" cheque!! The bank officer said I could go to Shanghai and cash it out at the HSBC bank.......... yeah right, a 5 hours train journey for that US$40?! So I HAD to do it through the bank............ all GRUMPY and stuff....

I'll be leaving China in August so I guess I don't have to deal with this anymore!! Phew. Hmm, but I reckon it'll be the somewhat the same elsewhere..... or well.... *shrug*

赚钱难,拿钱更难。。。。 我心何哀啊!!
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is the best way to be paid in China Jun 26, 2004

Zhoudan wrote:

I agree with my clients that we have payments of small jobs accumulated to a certain sum, say USD200 or more and then we'll settle the payment by cheque.

In fact, most of agencies in Europe pay their translators in Europe 2 months after.What about in China ?

I was told by some agencies in Europe that they pay their translators in China every 2 months or as the way Zhoudan does with her clients. For long-term cooperation, it is reasonable.

Ok, I am not an agence, but I would like to know what is the best way to be paid in China, I mean a translator can easily withdraw money and doesn抰 have to pay a high fee.

Have a nice weekend

[Edited at 2004-06-26 14:49]

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
Factually you can only bear a little..... Nov 5, 2004

银行收费包括两个方面:RMB30+0.1%(如上说述),将支票转寄香港的费用(国外过来的支票都需要通过银行转寄到香港办中转手续)大概RMB200

而事实上,如果运气好让你遇到好心的银行工作人员,你就可以省下第二项的那200块。通常寄一次,银行会寄出那段时间所累积起来的所有支票,费用是一样的,即寄20张支票也只要200块(或多一点);而银行跟客户收费的时候是按每张支票200算的,黑吧,呵呵....
我上次拿一张100美元的支票去农业银行,银行工作人员不知怎么的态度狂好,竟然主动说我的支票可以跟着那些外贸公司(银行的大客户)一起寄往香港,而费用由大客户承担,最后只收了我总共40块钱,把我开心晕了^_^

建议各位同行试着向银行工作人员询问一下,或者将自己的支票累积到n张后一起拿去兑现,会省不少钱哦

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best way to pay a translator in China

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »