Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
大型会议合格翻译不足100人 同传日收入10000元(人民网2004年11月30日)
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2004

把“保税仓库”译为“保证税收的仓库”,“五四运动”译成“五四体育运动”……虽然目前中国翻译从业人员估计已达50万人,但中国外文局副局长黄友义分析认为,能够胜任中译外工作的高质量人才则严重不足,估计缺口高达90%以上。

地域分布严重不均

据中国翻译工作者协会提供的一些数据,目前中国翻译行业从业者达到50万人�
... See more
把“保税仓库”译为“保证税收的仓库”,“五四运动”译成“五四体育运动”……虽然目前中国翻译从业人员估计已达50万人,但中国外文局副局长黄友义分析认为,能够胜任中译外工作的高质量人才则严重不足,估计缺口高达90%以上。

地域分布严重不均

据中国翻译工作者协会提供的一些数据,目前中国翻译行业从业者达到50万人。这50万人中,高水平的专业人员主要集中在北京、上海和广州的政府部门、对外新闻报道机构、大专院校里。而大部分翻译是做兼职,或个人直接接受翻译任务,或通过翻译公司来做。

中国外文局教育培训中心主任王欣告诉记者:“这个数字,看起来是个很庞大的队伍,但和实际需求相比差距还是很大的。原因就是高水平的翻译很少,只能占总数的5%或者更少。能够胜任国际会议口译任务的专业人员就更少了。”据他介绍,每年在北京、上海等地举办的各类大型会议很多,而且随着中国国际地位的日益增加,国际会议的密度也更大,而在国内能够胜任较大型国际会议的专业英语口译人员也就在100名以内。而其他地区的这样的人才就更少。有的省有3名-5名,有的省也就一两名,或者没有。这导致很多省份在举办重大国际性活动或会议的时候,就要到北京、上海或广州去找人。这些大城市的专业人员有的真的成了空中飞人。据专家估计,如果按每个省、市、自治区有5名-10名高级口译、每个地以上城市有二三名计算的话,仅高级英语口译人才我国就有500人的缺口,而真正合格的、高级笔译人才的缺口还更大。

同传一天收入6000元-10000元

翻译分口译和笔译,口译分为同传和交传,笔译又分为中翻外和外翻中。一个合格的同传上会一天的收入一般在6000元-10000元之间,会议的主办方还要承担交通和食宿费用,所以有白金职业之说;交传,一般一天的收入也要在3000元-6000元之间,高水平的还更高。所以,很多人看到口译人员西服革履,飞来飞去,风光无限。笔译中,外翻中做的人很多,相对容易,标准因稿件难易程度和翻译人员的能力素质不同而不同,在100元-300元/千汉字之间;而中翻外比较难一些,收费要在200元-500元/千字之间。如果是在专业的正规翻译机构里工作,一个合格的笔译每月的收入大概要在8000元或更高(工资加个人接的委托翻译),而口译则更高。

翻译市场规模每年100亿元

专家估算我国现在每年翻译市场在100亿元左右的规模,而且还在急剧扩大。但现在翻译队伍的素质和水平却远不能满足市场需要,鱼龙混杂,粗制滥造之作、错译漏译、中国式外语翻译现象处处可见。

据美国蒙特蕾国际关系学院高级翻译学院院长鲍川运介绍,一些国际会议的国外代表往往是发完言就离会,原因是听不懂会议口译说什么。

根据外文局前任局长、中国译协原常务副会长、中国外文局教育培训中心的高级顾问林戊荪先生介绍,在我国,人们对翻译工作的了解并不多,甚至有一些误解。比如,最常见的是,认为“学了外语就能翻译”。林戊荪先生说,“其实,外语是翻译的基础,还要经过翻译专业的培训才能胜任翻译工作,特别像同声翻译、重要的笔译,一般要大学毕业,然后再培训4年才能做到,在国际鲜钦庋!?br>
  长期从事翻译培训工作的王欣说,“我们经常不得不劝解我们的学生,报高级班的到中级班或初级班去学,而我们的学员往往还不能理解。原因就是他们对翻译的理解还存在问题,存在着过高估计自己、过低估计翻译的问题”。

合格翻译不好当

一个合格的翻译,首先要对所从事的语言有很好的把握和扎实的基础。如果是学英语的,那一是对英语的基本文法、词汇的掌握要十分扎实,有比较好地运用和表达能力,二是中文也要有很好的功底,能很好地理解中文的含义或能用准确的中文来表达;三是要有相应的知识背景,对所翻译的稿件和内容要有个基本的了解。“日常教学中,我们发现学生基本上可以说是没有什么中文的功底。翻译出来的文章往往很口语化或平淡如水。”

王欣说,做翻译工作外语基础要十分扎实,千万不能想当然或者模糊处理。王主任讲一个真实的例子:“我们中心的一个学生,英语通过了专业八级。结果通过四个周末的学习后,和我讲,我发现我的英语怎么这么差呀;又过了四个周末,她又和我讲,我发现我的中文也不行呀。翻译是两门语言之间的转换,切忌重了外语,而忽视了中文。”

一个合格的翻译,还要有广博的知识,因为需要翻译的领域是很宽的,很少能集中在某一个领域,如果没有一个知识背景,很可能就会望文生义,出现笑话了。而保持一个良好的翻译职业道德,也是十分重要的。林戊荪先生说,“一些翻译或翻译公司,自己明明知道水平能力不够,为了一点点经济利益,就放弃了职业道德,结果是闹了很多的笑话。一些卫视节目把‘历史上的今天’译成HistoryToday,在一份英文药品说明书上,‘高血压’一词竟不用英语医学专业名词,而是用汉语拼音gaoxueya”。

从业者感受

翻译是个苦差使

在获得这样高收入的同时,做翻译的人也有自己的甜酸苦辣,做过笔译多年的中国外文局教育培训中心的授课教授麻老师告诉记者,做笔译的人要有一种钻研精神,有一种做学问的态度。在顺利完成一篇译文的时候,或者在经过几天的冥思苦想终于找到合适的表达时,当手里拿到自己的译著或发表的译文时,会给人带来很大的享受,这是别人体会不到的;可是往往要到处去查资料,有的时候多少天闷在屋子里,也是很辛苦的。

林戊荪先生在翻译《孙子兵法》的时候,为了能更好地使译文适合现在人的阅读,翻译了几种风格,虽然他本人已经是著名的翻译家了,但他还去征求其他人的意见,包括外国同行的看法。

王欣曾从事多年的笔译工作。他告诉记者,翻译的最大特点是背后的努力和辛苦大家看不到,笔译要耐得住寂寞,要有钻研的精神和做研究的态度,口译要有十分扎实的基础和认真负责的态度。

曾经在联合国做过多年同传的美国蒙特蕾国际关系学院高级翻译学院的教授施晓菁女士说:“不要以为做同传的那么风光,好像一天能挣那么多,还好吃好住,其实背后的辛苦是其他人看不到的。我在今年去敦煌为一个国际性的敦煌遗产保护会议做同传的时候,提前一个多月就开始准备,查阅有关敦煌的资料,阅读有关会议资料,查生词,熟悉有关领域的知识;在开会前,我还要提前到,去实地看,了解有关的情况,向当地专家请教。这样在上会的时候才能有保障,否则就会砸锅的。”“口译真的是台下十年功,台上十分钟呀。我在学习的时候,每天要做8个小时的带子,听、说、译,反反复复,好辛苦呀。有的人就是忍受不了这样的辛苦,偷懒或者就干脆不学了。平时偷懒,上场就准砸锅。做口译的人还要有很好的心理素质和身体条件,虽然同传是2-3个人合作做,每段大概在二十分钟就换下来休息一会儿,但还是很累人的,关键是精神要高度紧张。每次会议都是新的挑战,都不能砸锅,不仅仅要为会议的组织者和与会者负责,还要为自己负责。砸锅一次,就很难有人请你做了。国际会议上往往会遇到各种口音的英语,美国的、英国的、还有非洲的、印度的,也有日本、韩国、中国的,你都要能应对才行,精神要非常集中,脑子、手和嘴巴高度紧张地配合工作。”

本版撰文 信报记者 杜 丁
Collapse

waikam
waikam
Local time: 19:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
这是一篇很有意思的文章 Nov 30, 2004

This is a very interesting article. I fully agree to the author's opinion. But I wish to know where and how could I improve my translation and interpretation skills.
Being of Chinese origin, and living in India for the past 27 years, I have acquired a good command of English, so much so, Chinese has become very alien to me. But I am ready to work for betterment of my translation skill. Can anyone out there give some advice?

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Come on now, get aggressive and get to work! Dec 1, 2004

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

据中国翻译工作者协会提供的一些数据,目前中国翻译行业从业者达到50万人。这50万人中,高水平的专业人员主要集中在北京、上海和广州的政府部门、对外新闻报道机构、大专院校里。而大部分翻译是做兼职,或个人直接接受翻译任务,或通过翻译公司来做......

翻译分口译和笔译,口译分为同传和交传,笔译又分为中翻外和外翻中。一个合格的同传上会一天的收入一般在6000元-10000元之间,会议的主办方还要承担交通和食宿费用,所以有白金职业之说;交传,一般一天的收入也要在3000元-6000元之间,高水平的还更高。所以,很多人看到口译人员西服革履,飞来飞去,风光无限。笔译中,外翻中做的人很多,相对容易,标准因稿件难易程度和翻译人员的能力素质不同而不同,在100元-300元/千汉字之间;而中翻外比较难一些,收费要在200元-500元/千字之间。如果是在专业的正规翻译机构里工作,一个合格的笔译每月的收入大概要在8000元或更高(工资加个人接的委托翻译),而口译则更高......

专家估算我国现在每年翻译市场在100亿元左右的规模,而且还在急剧扩大。但现在翻译队伍的素质和水平却远不能满足市场需要,鱼龙混杂,粗制滥造之作、错译漏译、中国式外语翻译现象处处可见。

Hello, Li Bin

Thank you for sharing with us this good article! Very informative! It supports my belief that China is a gold mine where offers tremendous amount of translation work.

The shortage of qualified translators in China is simply shocking to me. Perhaps, the real problem is that many good translators there do not know whom to contact or where to find those jobs. By the same token, those companies that are desperately looking for the qualified translators did not let the words out. They should establish an online bulletin board or platform for the people to learn their translation employment needs and hiring information.

There are quite a few good Chinese translators visit here on a regular basis. If I were you guys in China, I will spend one day each week to market myself and let all the translation-related government agencies and private businesses to know I am available and I am dam good for their next job. Come on now, get aggressive and get to work!

Kevin

Jonathan Chui
Jonathan Chui
Local time: 22:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rather disappointed indeed! Dec 1, 2004

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

合格翻译不好当

一个合格的翻译,首先要对所从事的语言有很好的把握和扎实的基础。如果是学英语的,那一是对英语的基本文法、词汇的掌握要十分扎实,有比较好地运用和表达能力,二是中文也要有很好的功底,能很好地理解中文的含义或能用准确的中文来表达;三是要有相应的知识背景,对所翻译的稿件和内容要有个基本的了解。“日常教学中,我们发现学生基本上可以说是没有什么中文的功底。翻译出来的文章往往很口语化或平淡如水。”

一个合格的翻译,还要有广博的知识,因为需要翻译的领域是很宽的,很少能集中在某一个领域,如果没有一个知识背景,很可能就会望文生义,出现笑话了。而保持一个良好的翻译职业道德,也是十分重要的。林戊荪先生说,“一些翻译或翻译公司,自己明明知道水平能力不够,为了一点点经济利益,就放弃了职业道德,结果是闹了很多的笑话。一些卫视节目把‘历史上的今天’译成HistoryToday,在一份英文药品说明书上,‘高血压’一词竟不用英语医学专业名词,而是用汉语拼音gaoxueya”。

从业者感受

翻译是个苦差使

在获得这样高收入的同时,做翻译的人也有自己的甜酸苦辣,做过笔译多年的中国外文局教育培训中心的授课教授麻老师告诉记者,做笔译的人要有一种钻研精神,有一种做学问的态度。在顺利完成一篇译文的时候,或者在经过几天的冥思苦想终于找到合适的表达时,当手里拿到自己的译著或发表的译文时,会给人带来很大的享受,这是别人体会不到的;可是往往要到处去查资料,有的时候多少天闷在屋子里,也是很辛苦的。

王欣曾从事多年的笔译工作。他告诉记者,翻译的最大特点是背后的努力和辛苦大家看不到,笔译要耐得住寂寞,要有钻研的精神和做研究的态度,口译要有十分扎实的基础和认真负责的态度。

Many translators don't care about the quality of their translations. Another problem is that, many of these customers don't seem to care too much about it either! As long as the translation is in another language, whether in Chinese, English or otherwise, they think it's fine.

Some of these tranlators said that they don't care about quality because it has to be achieved at the expense of efficiency. That means it's efficiency that pays off, not quality. That mentality is hard change.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:00
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Cannot agree more with Jonathan Dec 2, 2004

Jonathan Chui wrote:

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

合格翻译不好当

从业者感受

翻译是个苦差使

Many translators don't care about the quality of their translations. Another problem is that, many of these customers don't seem to care too much about it either! As long as the translation is in another language, whether in Chinese, English or otherwise, they think it's fine.

Some of these tranlators said that they don't care about quality because it has to be achieved at the expense of efficiency. That means it's efficiency that pays off, not quality. That mentality is hard change.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Anacdotes that support Mr. Cui. Dec 2, 2004

I strongly support Jonathan's view about the situation in China.

Recently one of my co-workers in China wanted me to help her with the translation of a law piece. I orally interpreted it over the phone for her. She took notes. I know it was a bad translation becasue I'm not familiar with the topic. Because she was not goign to pay me for the service, I didn't bother to look up in any reference books or dictionary to get a correct rendering of the information I was not quite sure. I
... See more
I strongly support Jonathan's view about the situation in China.

Recently one of my co-workers in China wanted me to help her with the translation of a law piece. I orally interpreted it over the phone for her. She took notes. I know it was a bad translation becasue I'm not familiar with the topic. Because she was not goign to pay me for the service, I didn't bother to look up in any reference books or dictionary to get a correct rendering of the information I was not quite sure. I made it very clear that it's only my rough understanding of the text and much more revision was needed before it could be considdered as a translation.

What happened next is that she just gave that very preliminary draft to her client. To my supprize, her client didn't have any objection to that translation and paid her promptly. And she is getting more jobs from the same client.

I also came across a guy recently who has a translation agency in China. He is CEO, project manager, and everyhtign himself. BUT, He doesn't understand English at all.

Some 15 years ago, the CHIEF translator in the place where I worked was considered a 高翻,首席翻译....you name it. A lot of good titles naturally came to her, just because she had worked there longer than the rest of us. But we all knew she was very bad in translation. The deptal head don't know how to write a complete list of the English alphabet, so he had no judgement but using common sense in evaluating the quality of the translators. He just strongly believe she was the best.

One day, the head was asked to read a translated document to his group of supervisors. It was very important for him, for getting support, and even for his own 升迁。 Just because he trusted the lady, he didn't even take a look at her translation. He went on stage to start reading the translation and found that he didn't know what was being talekd about in almost all of the sentences in the document.

In a fury, he stopped trusting her right after there. She was about to be promoted before that. The whole picture got reversed after that. She had to transfer herself to another organization.

It took years for the boss to undertand what translation was about!

Jonathan Chui wrote:

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

合格翻译不好当

从业者感受

翻译是个苦差使

Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
More shocking still, Dec 3, 2004

Kevin Yang wrote:
The shortage of qualified translators in China is simply shocking to me.

if you'd care to read a few Abstracts in 中国翻译. Well, if you wouldn't mind, I could post a few in here. And then you'll know what I am saying.

[Edited at 2004-12-04 03:38]

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please, do post the said articles Dec 3, 2004

Hi Last Hermit,
My 中国翻译will not arrive until next month. So, would appreciate it if you could post any articles of interest to the group here.
Regards,

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
中国人得改变观念 Dec 3, 2004

岂止是翻译,就连中文说明书都是错误百出,很多文字让你读不懂,逻辑混乱、颠三倒四的情况随处可见。我得出的结论是企业老板根本就不知道文字宣传的重要性,以为随便找个识字的人拼凑一下就可以了。中文都这样处理,你还能指望他们对翻译有什么要求呢?最好是本公司有个识ABC的人,只要把中文变成用拉丁字母拼写的东西就行了,关键是要省钱,最好不花一分钱,至于质量嘛,嘿嘿!这也是中国的翻译公司难做的原因。

我曾经在一家大电信设备公司工作过,它每年向社界各地出口大量通信设备。按理说它很重视翻译工作,但我实在不敢恭维负责外包质量的那些人,经他们“把关”的产品手册无一例外全是洋泾浜。他们的信条是“忠实于原文”,包括句式在内。由此可见一斑。索斯比拍卖行的老板说他读不懂上海拍卖行发布的拍卖目录,我看这事儿一点也不奇怪。

要让那些只知道数钞票的老总们认识到翻译的重要性,还有漫长的路要走。也只有到那时,翻译行业才会成气候。

Shang

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
With Yang's permission, I will. Dec 4, 2004

Shaun Yeo wrote:

Hi Last Hermit,
My 中国翻译will not arrive until next month. So, would appreciate it if you could post any articles of interest to the group here.
Regards,

BTW, I haven't got round to 拜读 your prize-wining piece. I only scanned it. I will probably make some comments when time permits.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just back from Beijing. Dec 7, 2004

I saw the sign on all emergency doors saying: Don't use it in peace time. 估计译者想说平时不能用, 结果这样一来, 好像只有打仗或反恐时才能用. To me,版 it should be " Emergency Only " or Fire Exit 之类.

I forgot the exact wording. But I strongly think it's Chinglish. 可是在新候机楼, 首都的第一道门面啊.

这种低级错误在新航站里, 不敢说信手拈来, 也至少还有几处.

在报纸上还看到, 某地
... See more
I saw the sign on all emergency doors saying: Don't use it in peace time. 估计译者想说平时不能用, 结果这样一来, 好像只有打仗或反恐时才能用. To me,版 it should be " Emergency Only " or Fire Exit 之类.

I forgot the exact wording. But I strongly think it's Chinglish. 可是在新候机楼, 首都的第一道门面啊.

在报纸上还看到, 某地有这样的标志: 免费公厕--For Nothing WC, 免收门票的景点, 说For Nothing Entry, 着实够经典的.

再说点题外的. 现在中国兴管理咨询, 管理人什么的, 于是就有人翻译国外的材料到国内出书灌碟,卖得挺火. 机场书店的电视屏幕都在播放这些管理大师的碟. 有一位大师的简介是, 美国XXX大学博士, XXX大学和XXX大学双博士后, 然后再也看不出他在美国十几年干啥了. 我的第一反应是, 这主太臭了, 估计一直找不到工作, 所以一直在博士后来着.

可是, 我们的国民就是看不出这种本质, 肯定都在想, 两个博士后还不得等于4个博士? 这位牛人能有5个博士, 高, 实在是高. 所以他那种连我作古的外祖母都懂的常识, 还真有人卖账: 政府买账, 大学买账, 企业也买账. 因为, 这些书都是卖得很火.

对不起, 扯的太远了. 转念一想, 这和翻译也有点关系. 我产生两个基本点: 1. 翻译做得再精, 不如会包装, 会运作的. 会包装的不如会骗的. 我们起早贪黑把这当事业做也就混个温饱, 而前述那位大师, 也是翻译, 外加东拼西凑, 翻译质量应该与诸位本不可同日而语, 结果呢, 我们平静地生活, 人家轰轰烈烈, 成功了. 成功对时下的中国意味着啥? 意味着人家能做人上人. 人上人有啥好处? 公众资源可以随便糟(音造), 政府机构可以任人家玩弄于股掌, 你我行吗?
2. 第二个基本点是博士后这个词的翻译问题. 这些技术问题, 大家比我更心知肚明, 恕我不再赘述.
Collapse

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Looking forward to your advice Dec 7, 2004

To Last Hermit前辈:
“拜读”二字,愧不敢当。真心期待前辈指点。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
身体力行 Dec 7, 2004

jyuan_us wrote:

我们不可能一下子改变世界,但可以从自己从小处做起。象首都机场这样的问题,我觉得你可以向有关单位联系反映。

至于国内的有些时髦人物也只不过是匆匆过场,昙花一现而已。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
做翻译不能浮躁 Dec 8, 2004

我觉得chance说得很对。与其抱怨现状,不如从自己做起。国内现在很多人心态浮躁,热衷于捞钱,我们不用羡慕,我们做好自己的本分,但求问心无愧。我记得我有个好朋友说过,做任何事情都有代价的。看似轰轰烈烈的人也在付出他们自己的代价,只是这种代价也许是我们不愿意付出的。

chance wrote:

我们不可能一下子改变世界,但可以从自己从小处做起。象首都机场这样的问题,我觉得你可以向有关单位联系反映。

至于国内的有些时髦人物也只不过是匆匆过场,昙花一现而已。

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another reason that the bad translation is in circulation. Dec 8, 2004

Last Hermit wrote:

if you'd care to read a few Abstracts in 中国翻译. Well, if you wouldn't mind, I could post a few in here. And then you'll know what I am saying.

[Edited at 2004-12-04 03:38]

Hi, Last Hermit, and all others

Thank you for your messages in this folder! I normally do not encourage our folks here to post other people's writings for critique purpose. If you feel it serves educational and informational purposes, perhaps post the link to that site where the writings are posted. Imagine if the prize-winning author read our posts, he or she might wish to have used a pen name instead. What do you think?

I still have trouble to accept the conclusion that the qualified Chinese translators are limited in China. Perhaps the headhunting companies did not do a good job to find them. It is very true, as Chance and Zhoudan have mentioned, what we should do is to make sure we can do the translation professionally on per job and per project basis. I know it is easier to say than to be done. I lost cool last week for a translation I did for a five-star hotel in Las Vegas. The client gave my translation to a person who is not a translator but made some wrong and awful translation suggestions. Due to the fact that this person is an employee of the hotel, the client wanted me to incorporate those suggestions into my translation. When I see good suggestions, I am grateful; but when I see bad ones, and have been told to use them into my translation, I get mad. The end story is that I “had to” use their bad translation. So, this might be another reason that the bad translation is in circulation.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-12-08 08:51]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

大型会议合格翻译不足100人 同传日收入10000元(人民网2004年11月30日)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »