Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
Chinese to English
Jul 22, 2014

Hello,

I recently completed a translation assignment where a reference was made to another document in the source text. The source text referenced this document by using the name of the document in Chinese style square brackets, ex. 【XYZ政策】.

Stupidly, in my own haste and state of unthinking, I simply copied these brackets over to the target segment and translated the title of the document contained within the brackets. At the time I thought that this would ensur
... See more
Hello,

I recently completed a translation assignment where a reference was made to another document in the source text. The source text referenced this document by using the name of the document in Chinese style square brackets, ex. 【XYZ政策】.

Stupidly, in my own haste and state of unthinking, I simply copied these brackets over to the target segment and translated the title of the document contained within the brackets. At the time I thought that this would ensure consistency with the source text and create a level of uniformity throughout the translation. However, I later realised that English punctuation does not use these Chinese style square brackets. In this case, would it have been better to use the English style square brackets ex. [] to refer to the document in question?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Collapse

Z-Kong
Z-Kong  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
[] is OK Jul 22, 2014

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

Stupidly, in my own haste and state of unthinking, I simply copied these brackets over to the target segment and translated the title of the document contained within the brackets. At the time I thought that this would ensure consistency with the source text and create a level of uniformity throughout the translation. However, I later realised that English punctuation does not use these Chinese style square brackets. In this case, would it have been better to use the English style square brackets ex. [] to refer to the document in question?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

[] are the correct characters to use.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think you should use italics or “”... Jul 22, 2014

not [].

[Edited at 2014-07-22 23:44 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:14
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Just your regular brackets Jul 23, 2014

Zhoudan wrote:

not [].

[Edited at 2014-07-22 23:44 GMT]

None of the [] {}. Since your target text is in English, it should meet that audience's standards, which presumably should be " ".

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
FYI Jul 23, 2014

Please click the following link for details:
http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/quotation-marks/how-to-reference-books-and-articles-in-text/
How to Reference Books and Articles in Text

Before computers, we used typewriters to underline book titles, and we placed quotation marks around article titles. However, many current style manuals recommend italicizing book titles and magazine names (impossible to do on a typewriter) and using quotation marks around articles.

Example: I read Lord of the Flies in high school.

Example: I enjoyed reading “Become Your Own Best Friend” in Newsweek.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese square brackets【 】

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »