Money Matters
Thread poster: Denyce Seow

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 04:29
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Dec 14, 2004

A few days ago, I received an invitation to quote on a 1,000-page Chinese into English translation project. The client wanted a quote per page, so after looking through the document I put Euro 35/page on the table. I was expecting the client to negotiate a little, but he actully replied to say that he is going for an agency that is charging US$6/page.

*MY JAWS DROPPED*

We are not even talking about a TRANSLATOR who charges US$6/page! It is an AGENCY that charges this ridiculously low rate!! I wonder how much is this agency going to pay its poor translator?

I don't know what to feel about this situation though I know it is prevalent and all of us working with this language pair are well aware of it. I also understand that it is not in my position to say how much others should charge, but somehow I feel unfairness on my side and on behalf of the translator who is going to work on this project. Mind you, it is a legal and technical text. US$6 per page.... gosh....

Sorry, folks.... I just wanted to vent off my frustration here.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Weiwei, Dec 14, 2004

如果你直接给德国的客户或翻译公司作,完全可以按当地价格报价。

一旦你有了较稳定的客源,就不必再考虑那些你认为不能接受的project啦。

我是2003年开始作freelancer的,大约一年半以后有了较稳定的客源。我想你如果再坚持一段时间,情况肯定会好起来。

你在德国同时还学德语吗?

Guter Mut!

Joyce Curran  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
It doesn't matter Dec 14, 2004

Hi, weiwei: forget about it, you have plenty things to do than get upset by this. The person either lied to you or he/she wouldn't get a proper translation. Just put in mind, you are worth whatever you ask for, $6/page, you wouldn't dream about it, I think any of us wouldn't think about it.

sorry I didn't reply your note another day, I was so tired and busy with the boys. Francis is my older one(he is five now, just started reception class this year). Alex(the one on the photo) is 20 months old now. I couldn't make a photo of them both together small enough to fit in the image window, as Alex was very christmas at the moment, so I let him to have a show off first.

Hope you are ok in a new place, get used to the horrible food and weather will be a target for you.

Take care, if have any chance, come to see the boys.

As I say, merry christmas to all両両

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:29
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Just ignore them Dec 14, 2004

Best is probably to just ignore this kind of "offers" and spend your time working.

[Edited at 2004-12-14 22:16]

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
clients Dec 14, 2004

chance wrote:

一旦你有了较稳定的客源,就不必再考虑那些你认为不能接受的project啦。

我是2003年开始作freelancer的,大约一年半以后有了较稳定的客源。我想你如果再坚持一段时间,情况肯定会好起来。
Guter Mut!

Nah, it is not about getting clients. This guy wrote me out of the blue too, and I don't know where he got my contact from. I am only peeved with the kind of rates that are going around out there. Translators, no matter if they are in China or Germany, do not deserve US$6 per page.

I've learned to ignore clients who are out there sourcing for CHEAP translators....

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
the same story here: Dec 16, 2004

http://www.proz.com/topic/26415

Julian Luo
English to Chinese
+ ...
也需那时一家中国的翻译公司。 Jul 9, 2005

I am a boss of a translation agency in China. I am sure that rate is possible here, either in my city or in other cities. normally we charge appr. 10-20 Euro /1000 words. (but very few Chinese agencies have international clients as I know) depending on the document but mainly depend on the translation agency's quality. Do you know how much I pay my translators? 70-80/1000 words. I am sure you won't work with me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Money Matters

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs