Thread poster: Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 23:39
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Jan 13, 2005

Recently I noticed that there were a few non Proz members and even new members who are "abusing" Kudoz.

Two days ago, a non-login user basically posted an entire certificate in five or six different Kudoz questions. I answered one of the questions, but when I moved on to the others I smelled something fishy. In the end, I decided to squash all the questions, including the one I answered. I was hoping, by doing so, the asker would not be able to get the answers proposed, or rather,
... See more
Recently I noticed that there were a few non Proz members and even new members who are "abusing" Kudoz.

Two days ago, a non-login user basically posted an entire certificate in five or six different Kudoz questions. I answered one of the questions, but when I moved on to the others I smelled something fishy. In the end, I decided to squash all the questions, including the one I answered. I was hoping, by doing so, the asker would not be able to get the answers proposed, or rather, a FREE translation.

Today there is another case of what I'd call "abuse". Here is the question: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/911075. Check out the questions this asker has posted before, and you will realise what is wrong. The asker is obviously from a translation agency that charges "0,095 euros per translated word" (please refer to their website), and it seems that they are trying to get FREE work too.

Okay, maybe I am being bitchy and petty here, but there are simply more of such cases happening. For the second case I quoted, the asker did indicate that "this question is from a translation test or homework. Please refrain from answering if you object", but h*ll.... any peabrain would guess that it most probably wasn't merely a test or homework.

I know that it is entirely up to the folks in Kudoz whether they want to answer a question. It is not my place to say which questions should or should not be answered. But I hope these kinds of "abuse" cases can be checked.

PS: Hey, hey, moderator.... Would you like to look into this???

[Edited at 2005-01-13 07:46]
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you for doing the right thing! Jan 13, 2005

weiwei wrote:

Recently I noticed that there are a few non Proz members and even new members who are "abusing" Kudoz.

Two days ago, a non-login user basically posted an entire certificate in five or six different Kudoz questions. I answered one of the questions, but when I moved on to the others I smelled something fishy. In the end, I decided to squash all the questions, including the one I answered. I was hoping with that the asker would not be able to get the answers proposed, or rather, a FREE translation.

Weiwei,

Thank you for doing the right thing! This website is designed for the translators to help each other, and for the clients to find the right translators. I am grateful to have the good translators like you who care so much about this website. It takes all of our efforts and responsibility to maintain this website well. Let抯 work together and make the difference!

Please do use your squashing privilege on those abusers and free-loaders. I have been doing the same. I also have been sending email letters to those translators who do improper things. As you can see, this is not a one person's job to reinforce the rules and regulations, it takes the whole village.

Thank you for being there and helping out! Please do bring to my attention if you think I can help.

Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abusing Kudoz

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »