Thread poster: song liu
song liu
Local time: 01:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 18, 2005

I am a junior major in English in china mainland
I want to find something to translate to make some pocket money
I have no certification but I believe I reach the level of the starting grade of translator
Can I get it?
Thanks
学长们,帮帮忙!!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
You'll need some background May 20, 2005

Since you don't have any experience or qualifications to offer, I think you should start by getting them.
How about taking an English Language Level Test (like TOEFL, TOEIC, or any other relevant test approved in your country).
After that, you might want to get some experience by, lets say, taking part in groups that work with English speakers (like language exchange or volunteer groups, or groups that teach Chinese to foreigners, anyway, try to use and improve your English). Maybe some foreign company would be interested in hiring your services on a part-time basis, who knows, you'd have to find out.
In my opinion, only after having some more to offer can you start thinking about making money.

song liu
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 20, 2005

Thanks a lot
But now I need money to support myself badly
I have done many volunteer works for English native speakers in Beijing and I hate to do any more
I get some “cheap” certifications of our country
I believe I can get high scores in such like TOEFL, for some of my equivalents made it, but I can not afford, I am a poor student from a poor family in rural areas and what is worse my father died of cancer
The fees for taking TOEFL, can buy me three-month bread
I have no choice but to do anything I can
Life is so hard especially in china
Thanks

chica nueva
Local time: 05:12
Chinese to English
Test yourself with Kudoz and read other peers' profiles May 21, 2005

You can test your level on Kudoz. Start posting answers and getting comments from peers. Have a look at other peers' profiles and you will get some idea of what they have done.

Are you going to translate Chinese to English or English to Chinese? Who needs your translation work in your local area? or are you going to work over the internet?

Do you have a particular area of expertise? So, will you approach people/businesses in that field?

Good luck.

Lesley

song liu
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 24, 2005

I translate both Chinese to English and English to Chinese only those simpler ones
My customs mainly are English-speaking expatriates in Beijing
Give them general interpretations but it really hard to find such works
I am now trying to fond some work to do with the local translation companies
I hope I can make it, though it is hard for me with little experience
Thanks

chica nueva
Local time: 05:12
Chinese to English
There was a Proz Pow-wow in Beijing recently... May 24, 2005

There was a Proz Pow-wow in Beijing recently...perhaps you might find some contacts there.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_forum&powwow_id=649

Do you have a good Proz profile? It might be good for marketing yourself.

I think there are some other topics in this forum which also have good suggestions from Kevin and others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can i get some work to do

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums