Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Watch out! Another round of their fortune hunting game. Sep 7, 2005

Hi, My Fellow Translators,

The low-life con artists from Ghana are launching another round of their fortune hunting game. I just received an email this evening from them. The content is very similar to the emails they sent to me a few months ago. Please read the email I copied below as a joke. These retarded people cannot even come up with something new. Please be sure to trash it if you receive such email, and do not believe a word they say. I wonder why the God, if he is out there
... See more

The low-life con artists from Ghana are launching another round of their fortune hunting game. I just received an email this evening from them. The content is very similar to the emails they sent to me a few months ago. Please read the email I copied below as a joke. These retarded people cannot even come up with something new. Please be sure to trash it if you receive such email, and do not believe a word they say. I wonder why the God, if he is out there, did not wipe these evil people into the ocean.

Kevin

Hello,

I am Bishop Kojo Williams. Am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over to USA on holidays from 20th to 30th September 2005 for a 10 days Vacation with my Chinese wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My wife Rev.Lora only speaks Chinese and my native language,
because her mum happens to come from Ghana. We will require the
services of a Chinese interpreter for 7 hours daily,12noon to 7pm,
although this might be flexibly for 10 days because I will not always be with them on most occasions due to other church functions which I most attend.We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to USA .
An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledg! e if you can offer this service and give me a price quote, and immediately call me on my direct line (011233 243610893) as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts ASAP, as time is not really on our side.

Remain Blessed,
His Lordship,
Bishop Kojo Williams.
Direct Line: 011233 243610893

N.B. Less i forget, also provide me with your Full
Name that will be on a certified cashier check, drawn from a US Bank, and your Address/telephone numbers, for easy delivery
via Express Courier mailing services.

Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even Smarter. They are sending email through my Proz profile page Sep 7, 2005

Kevin Yang wrote:

The low-life con artists from Ghana are launching another round of their fortune hunting game. I just received an email this evening from them. The content is very similar to the emails they sent to me a few months ago. Please read the email I copied below as a joke. These retarded people cannot even come up with something new. Please be sure to trash it if you receive such email, and do not believe a word they say. I wonder why the God, if he is out there, did not wipe these evil people into the ocean.

Kevin

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: MUSA MOHAMMED
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 213.136.105.154 Message type: Collaboration
-----------

PLATEAU ABIDJAN COTE D'IVOIRE
TEL/ (00225 0623 8457)
EMAL /( [email protected])

Permit me to contact you through this medium.

I am Mr musa mouhmmed , the child of Dr sango
mouhammed a prominent politician in Republic of
benin togo.

I am presently in the republic of Cote ` Ivoire
under the supervision of mr Anthony aboh in
abidjan, cote d'ivoire

My Father was arrested and charged to court for
a multibillion dollar arm deal which was politically
motivated by his enemies as my father was the
chairman of parliament in the lome and a strong
opposition of the dictatorials regimes of the
eyedema`s .

My Father , accented to plead guilty in exchange
for his acquittal on corruption charges this lead
to his bank accounts in togo and abroad being
frozen .now, things are really bad for me ,my sister
and our mother based on this ,I cannot even
afford to take care of my school expenses any more
, that is why we are contacting you ,due to the fact
that my Father is still being monitored

I was advised by him to source for a credible and
trustworthy partner abroad who will help in managing
and investing some huge funds(8.5m euros) he
secretly deposited in a security and finance
company for safe keeping some years ago in
Europe .

He deposited these funds with a safe security and
finance company for safe keeping as family treasures
and African artefacts to prevent the officials of
the company from raising eyebrow. I wish and
believe you will be in a position to assist in
managing this sum for a profitable venture
/investment in your country and also to help create
a safe heaven for me and my sister in furthering
our education by making a residential arrangement
for us in your country . I will disclose other
important information to you if you indicate
your interest to partner with me .you will work
with us on the arrangement of picking up the
funds since I am still in school .

Let me assure you that this transaction is 100% risk free.
And we have agreed to give you a reasonable percentage of
the money for your assistance which will be negotiated and agreed on by both sides. I was obliged to search for a reliable partner knowing that I have a limited knowledge in the business world. I will need from you a mutual understanding and then we shall make plans of how the funds would be secured into an account in your name. Moreover, you will arrange and travel immediately to meet with the
security company oficer in charge in europe , for
the pick up of the fund. Please contact me through my
email address.

Thanks and God bless you for your understanding. Please do
not forget to email me your private telephone number so that
I can give you a call to discuss this matter if you are interested in this offer.

Best Regards,

MUSA MOHAMMED

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/pro/1934
Login at: http://www.proz.com/pro/
Edit your profile mail preferences:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=213.136.105.154
Unsolicited advertising?
-----------

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
How to identify such trash emails and my solutions. Sep 8, 2005

Li Bin,

How funny! You got a different story from mine. The guy wrote to me even has a "Chinese wife". Isn't that cute? Edward Liu got a strange one, too. Do they think our IQ level is as low as theirs? We keep getting such trash emails from them. I am certain that we all are in their marketing records now, and our info has been sold around in that dark world. Sorry, no puns here!

I am sure you and I won't get conned by those low-life scum bags. But, I know for certain
... See more
Li Bin,

How funny! You got a different story from mine. The guy wrote to me even has a "Chinese wife". Isn't that cute? Edward Liu got a strange one, too. Do they think our IQ level is as low as theirs? We keep getting such trash emails from them. I am certain that we all are in their marketing records now, and our info has been sold around in that dark world. Sorry, no puns here!

I am sure you and I won't get conned by those low-life scum bags. But, I know for certain that a Chinese translator in our Chinese Forum lost $5,000.00 by helping them. This is why I felt there is a need to alert our kind translators here.

Here comes my summary of the characteristics of such trash emails. I am outlining the following key points, and hope they will help our translators to identify the problem. Please trust your nose when you smell something fishy. Please help to add or edit these bullet lines if you see it is necessary:

1. Such emails were sent by the people with strange names such as "MUSA MOHAMMED","Kojo Williams","Tobi Mensah","Johnson Kofi", "Funsho Kupo-lokun", etc.
2. The senders are in one of those countries you have trouble to find in the map;
3. They like to use fancy titles, such as "Bishop", and make you believe they associate with a church;
4. Long emails in awkward English;
5. Bad formatting/layout job for the email text, many wrong line breaks, sometimes the entire body text is using upper case letters;
6. Long and confusing story line; Remember, liars and thieves always like to tell a fancy story first to start their game.
7. At the end of it, they will bring up the money matters;
8. Asking you to provide them contacting information, including bank acount number;
9. They will make you believe they have sent money to you and have you deposit it into your bank account, i.e. send you something like casher's check;
10. Then, they will ask you to return the money right away by using your good bank check.
11. Or they need your help to withdraw some kind of unclaimed funds from a bank or foundation, and then will divide it with you 50-50.
12. ......

The solutions:
1. Trash it immediately;
2. Block the sender;
3. Report to the people if you find it is necessary.

Good luck!

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-09-08 17:24]
Collapse

Begoña Escorihuela
Begoña Escorihuela
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
Another version of the Bishop Scam Oct 19, 2005

On Monday 17th October 2005 I received another version of the scam through Go Translators:

Hello,
I am Benson Samuel i need your service to translate English to Spanish for a meeting between some executive, bosses and some of my partners. which will take place in london 0n the 28th of november 2005 and i will want your service for a week so please i want you to get back to with your charges per hour and you are going to work for 6hours a day for a week so please get back to m
... See more
On Monday 17th October 2005 I received another version of the scam through Go Translators:

Hello,
I am Benson Samuel i need your service to translate English to Spanish for a meeting between some executive, bosses and some of my partners. which will take place in london 0n the 28th of november 2005 and i will want your service for a week so please i want you to get back to with your charges per hour and you are going to work for 6hours a day for a week so please get back to me with your total cost for the service for a week.payment will be made via a certified euro cheque and i also want you to get back to me with your full contact name and address with your phone number where the payment will be made to. thanks.
I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU SOONEST.
Regards.
Benson.
General Secretary.

After asking him what company he works for and what kind of interpretation he needs. He answered:

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me, i want you to get back to me with the total cost of the service for the 6 hours and for the week together with the total trasportation fee and the meeting is about business and the progress of the company and the venue is Harrington Hall London and please i want you to get back to us witrh your confirm name and address where payment will be made to.we will be looking forward to hear from you soonest.
Regards.

This time he didn't even sign the e-mail and of course, no name of the company or what kind of interpretation he needed. Then I sent him my rates and he answered:

Hello,
Thanks for the mail, its alright we will be sending you the cheque as soon as possible so we want you to get back to us as soon as you recieve it ok.thanks.
Regards.

So, there you go... It's not always a Bishop or a Prince!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hola, Amigo! Thank you for helping with the collection! Oct 19, 2005

Bego馻 Escorihuela wrote:

Hello,
I am Benson Samuel i need your service to translate English to Spanish for a meeting between some executive, bosses and some of my partners. which will take place in london 0n the 28th of november 2005 and i will want your service for a week so please i want you to get back to with your charges per hour and you are going to work for 6hours a day for a week so please get back to me with your total cost for the service for a week.payment will be made via a certified euro cheque and i also want you to get back to me with your full contact name and address with your phone number where the payment will be made to. thanks.
I WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU SOONEST.
Regards.
Benson.
General Secretary.

After asking him what company he works for and what kind of interpretation he needs. He answered:

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me, i want you to get back to me with the total cost of the service for the 6 hours and for the week together with the total trasportation fee and the meeting is about business and the progress of the company and the venue is Harrington Hall London and please i want you to get back to us witrh your confirm name and address where payment will be made to.we will be looking forward to hear from you soonest.
Regards.

This time he didn't even sign the e-mail and of course, no name of the company or what kind of interpretation he needed. Then I sent him my rates and he answered:

Hello,
Thanks for the mail, its alright we will be sending you the cheque as soon as possible so we want you to get back to us as soon as you recieve it ok.thanks.
Regards.

So, there you go... It's not always a Bishop or a Prince!

Hola, Amigo!

Thank you for helping with the collection! You are right this is a new variation. Those scum bags have some brains and start to modify their email accordingly and make it fit into the receiver's situation. But, no matter how the variation would be, their final goal is to collect your name, address, phone number and promise to send you a check, bank draft, etc. which are normally something you need to deposit in your bank. Then, their next step is to inform you that the so-called appointment is cancelled, and ask you to return a portion of the check they sent you and you have already deposited. Guess what? If you did send them the so-called portion you own them in a good check, they got you in the scam they pulled on you, because by now you will be informed by your bank that the check they sent to you has bounced.

Give yourself a hug for being so smart!

Ciao!

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-19 22:11]

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
技高一筹,网页骗人新伎俩 Oct 20, 2005

技高一筹,网页骗人新伎俩

近日收到了一种浙江某知名皮鞋公司的广告宣传单,里面夹着一张制作精美的兑奖券,刮开封条后,显示中了红桃K,根据所提供的网页ttp://hkaokang55.com/news/news.asp,进入后,赫然发现中了价值11.5万的轿车一辆.打电话去南京咨询,工作人员问了有关号码,说要在电脑里查核,要求10分钟后再打过来.稍后,再打电话过去,她答复,"鉴于�
... See more
技高一筹,网页骗人新伎俩

近日收到了一种浙江某知名皮鞋公司的广告宣传单,里面夹着一张制作精美的兑奖券,刮开封条后,显示中了红桃K,根据所提供的网页ttp://hkaokang55.com/news/news.asp,进入后,赫然发现中了价值11.5万的轿车一辆.打电话去南京咨询,工作人员问了有关号码,说要在电脑里查核,要求10分钟后再打过来.稍后,再打电话过去,她答复,"鉴于国庆节将至,中奖者要在9月30日下午5时前赶到南京市白下区解放路2080号,如果不行的话,我们可以帮你把等值现金存入香港的汇丰银行,但是,因为是国际存款,我们要收取汇款手续费2%.......".

经过google的搜索,它与下面的粘贴简直同出一辙.

显然,这个"金饽饽"目前在远离南京城的某地——我市,广为派发,这份宣传单只是其中的一张,下面就是它的真面目.

PS:这篇小文结束之时(北京时间10月20日10:40分),他们的冒牌网页还在糊弄人民大众。

(转贴)解放路竟有2080号,记者调查揭露中奖骗局

http://www.njnews.cn/s/ca670940.htm

(2005-09-25 09:23:10)

□金陵晚报记者 陆陵

【金陵晚报13813912345现场报道】 打开一张某知名公司广告单,有着官方网页的支持,刮开里面制作精良的兑奖券:“朋友,你中了一等奖,价值11万的轿车一辆,请拨打025-68890×××联系……”面对如此的诱惑,谁能抵挡。昨日,广西《当代生活报》黄萍强记者与本报取得联系,介绍了当地一位读者捡到了这样一个大“馅饼”。金陵晚报记者根据有关线索调查发现,这是一个设计精巧的电话骗局。

据黄记者介绍,广西《当代生活报》的部分读者近日都收到了一种浙江某知名皮鞋公司的广告宣传单,里面都夹着一张制作精美的兑奖券,刮开封条后,上面不是中特等奖就是一等奖,奖品均是中高档轿车。在注意事项上,都写明交手续费到指定账号或是带现金到南京市白下区解放路2080号领取奖品,并在最后附上了皮鞋公司的网址以供查询和联系。黄记者为了了解详情,根据对方提供的号码打了过去,电话那头一个女子肯定了中奖信息,并称交到银行的手续费为2000元,到南京取车为5000元,再通过广告单上提供的网址查询,果然在该皮鞋公司网站上找到了“025-68890×××”联系号码。黄记者一时无法确定真伪,于是与本报联系,想进一步证实情况。

“本报的旧址就在解放路上,以前从来没有听说有两千多号的门牌啊。”带着疑问,记者来到解放路上,百般寻找后发现最大门牌号也就仅百号。随后,记者又根据广告单上的电话拨打过去。

“有一个亲戚在广西中了你们皮鞋公司的奖,想托我把钱送过来。”

“那到解放路2080号吧,公司负责人在那儿。”

“我去了呀,但找不到。”

“……你是哪里人?”

“我南京的,就住在解放路……”

还没等记者说完话,对方一句“让他本人来取”后就挂断了电话,记者再打过去,就只剩下了忙音。

根据对方提供的网址,电脑屏幕上很快显示出了浙江某名牌皮鞋公司的首页,在“联系我们”一栏,果然有“025-68890×××”电话。记者立刻通过电话查询,与该公司客户服务热线取得了联系,“我们也发现了这个情况,这是个通过技术手段接入我们网站的假网页。”工作人员很肯定地回答,他们公司根本没有搞过什么汽车大奖。据其介绍,这个假冒网页只比他们正规的网站号多两个“hk”,但打开后把“视听频道”改为了“联系我们”,其他的是一模一样,很有欺骗性。该工作人员告诉记者,公司已向南京有关部门举报,希望能查出这个骗人的“李鬼”。

记者随后将此情况向南京市公安局网络监察做了反映,警方通过查询发现这个“025-68890×××”是个虚拟号码,并不存在,可能是与外地的手机捆绑的,而连接该家皮鞋公司的假网站设立点在重庆市,南京警方将与当地有关部门取得联系,立刻查封该网页。警方表示,目前南京地区还没有出现类似诈骗行为,希望市民提高警惕,防止上当。

(编辑 暴雪)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Scam from Nigeria, Ghana, etc. targeting on the translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »