Mobile menu

Conversion Big-5 Traditional to Big-5 Simplified Chinese characters?
Thread poster: primepage
primepage
English to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2005

We have been TC to SC conversion (both in B5), but is there any way it can be done with RTF of FrameMaker files?
I assume that in reality, just a font replacement is happening during B5 to B5 conversion. Does anyone know where to get B5 simplified font and/or an application to do that?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
I am not sure I understand well your question Jun 12, 2005

I have never heard about B5 simplified font? Maybe you mean some fonts made in Chine, they call them fanti , but in fact, they are in GB encoding?

primepage wrote:

We have been TC to SC conversion (both in B5), but is there any way it can be done with RTF of FrameMaker files?
I assume that in reality, just a font replacement is happening during B5 to B5 conversion. Does anyone know where to get B5 simplified font and/or an application to do that?

primepage
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
simplified font for Big-5 Jun 12, 2005

Well, actually I have been converting Big-5 TC to Big-5 SC already for some time, on an English system, but I don't quite understand what it involves. Both versions did display fine on the English sytem, but now, only the native encoding is displayed properly.
The SC in Big-5 are TXT files, required for further processing this way by the client side.
The problem is that it does not work with RTF files, only with TXT files.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try it with Arial Unicode MS in Word ? Jun 12, 2005

I don't know about FrameMaker, but if you want, send me a txt file, I will see if I can save it as rtf in Word.

primepage
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unfortunately ... Jun 19, 2005

chance wrote:

I don't know about FrameMaker, but if you want, send me a txt file, I will see if I can save it as rtf in Word.

At least on my Chinese system this does not work. The reason appears to be that MSWord does link fonts and encodings automatically, and if you change the font it will change the encoding, and vice versa. Usually, you will find only the name of the font family in the fonts selector, not of the single fonts in that family. I wonder if such conversion is possible on a Mac, as the whole problem stems from these...

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Have you tried to change the font into Ariel Unicode MS ? Jun 19, 2005

In fact, I still don't quite understand your problem. If someone can understand your problem, then he can probably helps you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion Big-5 Traditional to Big-5 Simplified Chinese characters?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs