United States
Local time: 06:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
新鲜吧? Jun 23, 2006

weiwei wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

I prefer using 'fare dodger'.

美国也可见到一些人在运货火车暂停时跳上火车免费旅行,可能那就属于'train-jumper'。乘客车、地铁不买票的恐怕叫做 'fare dodger'较宜。中国叫做逃票者,也就是chance所说的蹭车者。

虽然我不懂德文,但同意wenjer的意见,这里的 black means something illegal.

未购车票被查到后仍说“老子就是不买票”的人才叫做“坐霸王车”。

[Edited at 2006-06-23 17:42]

I definitely agree with you. It's funny with the "坐霸王车" explanation!

新鲜吧?当然在德国、美国恐怕见不到,除非是hijacker。:D

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 19:16
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Practical knowledge Jun 23, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

dictionaries/grammar books 可都是“圣经”呢!

I just don't find it useful for people to revere dictionaries and grammar books as a bible or an all-mighty. You can plough through dictionaries after dictionaries and memorise every single word, but if you can't apply words in the way they should be applied, then it is pretty much a waste of time. To be honest, I enjoy it more when people share their practical knowledge than quote definitions, definitions and more definitions from books. Therefore, it is always interesting to hear from Wenjer, Yueyin, Wherestip and many others. I hope one day I will be where they are right now, but I think I still have a really long way to go.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
As you know, I was just kidding! Jun 23, 2006

weiwei wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

dictionaries/grammar books 可都是“圣经”呢!

I just don't find it useful for people to revere dictionaries and grammar books as a bible or an all-mighty. You can plough through dictionaries after dictionaries and memorise every single word, but if you can't apply words in the way they should be applied, then it is pretty much a waste of time. To be honest, I enjoy it more when people share their practical knowledge than quote definitions, definitions and more definitions from books. Therefore, it is always interesting to hear from Wenjer, Yueyin, Wherestip and many others. I hope one day I will be where they are right now, but I think I still have a really long way to go.

Of course, I was just kidding! I absolutely agree with you except the part "I think I still have a really long way to go". These words should be mine.

Be happy and take care! Don't work too hard!

[Edited at 2006-06-23 18:17]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 19:16
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Long way to go... Jun 23, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Of course, I was just kidding! I absolutely agree with you except the part "I think I still have a really long way to go". These words should be mine.

Now, you're kidding. I would definitely love to see you one day and have a good chat with you. Must be really interesting... I will go to the United States one day, and you know I'll come see you and Helen.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome! Jun 23, 2006

I am sure Helen and all of us will love to see you!

weiwei wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Now, you're kidding. I would definitely love to see you one day and have a good chat with you. Must be really interesting... I will go to the United States one day, and you know I'll come see you and Helen.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:16
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Free Loaders? Jun 24, 2006

不付錢,『搭霸王車』是老港說的。在香港以往乘巴士BUS,說一聲『家屬』便不付錢,意思是在巴士公司服務員工的家人、親屬可以不付錢,但是無明文規定,這只不過是員工間的一種尊重、信賴。但隨著員工上車可說『伙記』或『識得的』,亦可,當然會有大膽座霸王車的,不是家屬,不是伙記,也不是認識的,是冒充『大頭鬼』那一種。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
看来各地对“坐霸王车”有不同理解 Jun 24, 2006

据我所知,大陆很多地方对于利用权势而不花钱吃饭、看戏或坐车等叫做“吃霸王饭”、“看霸王戏”或“坐霸王车”。顾名思义,“霸王”就是形容行为霸道。

以前在兰州时听人讲过一个笑话。有一人自己想“看霸王戏”不说还带了一个人要进戏院,他跟门口那个收票员一指那同伙说,“一搭里的”(兰州方言意为“一起的”)。想不到那个收票员不买他帐,说:我管你什么“意大利”的还是法国的,没有票就别想进去!:D

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Devils Tower, Wyoming Jul 11, 2009

I just came back with my family from a small vacation in Wyoming and South Dakota. I’d like to share with you some of the photos I took during the trip although I am not a good photographer.

The Devils Tower in Wyoming is America's First National Monument:
http://www.nps.gov/deto/

A view from the parking lot
See more
I just came back with my family from a small vacation in Wyoming and South Dakota. I’d like to share with you some of the photos I took during the trip although I am not a good photographer.

The Devils Tower in Wyoming is America's First National Monument:
http://www.nps.gov/deto/

A view from the parking lot

Another view from a different angle

Can you see those people who are climbing up?

This photo is cropped from the above.

Can you see those climbers now?

A bird's eye view from the hill - 病树前头万木春

A beautiful countryside

[Edited at 2009-07-11 04:53 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Wild animals on the road/roadside in South Dakota Jul 11, 2009

So relaxed!

buffaloes

Elks

Who has
... See more
So relaxed!

buffaloes

Elks

Who has the right of way?
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:16
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
从你的照片里领略到了那里自然风光的壮美 Jul 12, 2009

谢谢老孙与我们分享精彩的照片!我虽然从来没有去过怀俄明和达科他两个州,但是已经从你的照片里领略到了那里自然风光的壮美。那个平地而起的山一定是火山口吧?太壮观了!真是名副其实的美国版“鬼见愁”。以后有机会,一定得去看看。

Kevin

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
National Parks Jul 12, 2009

Yueyin,

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Here's some music to set the mood.

http://www.proz.com/post/1170070#1170070

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
American Buffalo Jul 12, 2009

看到这些 Bison, 使我想到七十年代初 尼克松 送给中国的两头麝香牛 (Muskoxen). 当年我和两个朋友上北京动物园去看, 它们因水土不服, 毛都脱了. 不知 Nixon 为什么没送两头 Bison, 也许相比起来更容易适应北京的气候环境. 大概是因为麝香牛更为稀少罕见吧. 但这种适于北极气候的动物, 送给俄国还差不多. ... See more
看到这些 Bison, 使我想到七十年代初 尼克松 送给中国的两头麝香牛 (Muskoxen). 当年我和两个朋友上北京动物园去看, 它们因水土不服, 毛都脱了. 不知 Nixon 为什么没送两头 Bison, 也许相比起来更容易适应北京的气候环境. 大概是因为麝香牛更为稀少罕见吧. 但这种适于北极气候的动物, 送给俄国还差不多.

http://www.cowart.info/blog/uploaded_images/musk-ox-alone-770172.jpg

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/dca/commdb/images/Palmer_Muskox.jpg

http://www.muskoxfarm.org/history.html

Despite their common name, musk oxen have no musk glands and are not oxen. Although they may resemble bison, musk ox are more closely related to goats and sheep. This arctic ungulate, like domestic cattle, has a four-chambered stomach and eats a wide variety of foods such as lichens, grasses, and leaves.

[Edited at 2009-07-12 22:19 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
For those who missed that period of history ;-) Jul 12, 2009

http://www.chinaexpat.com/blog/ernie/2008/07/07/great-moments-panda-diplomacy.html

1972 The peak of panda diplomacy. Mao sends Nixon home from his historic visit with Lingling and Xingxing. Tricky Dick somehow decides to reciprocate with a pair of musk oxen; one dies immediately, and the other loses all of its fur. While Americans are busy re-conceiving Red China as the home of pandas and Bruce Lee [what do they know from Hong Kong and the Mainland], the Chinese puzzle over the West's apparent esteem for diseased bovines.

[Edited at 2009-07-12 15:11 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
值得一游 Jul 12, 2009

Kevin Yang wrote:

谢谢老孙与我们分享精彩的照片!我虽然从来没有去过怀俄明和达科他两个州,但是已经从你的照片里领略到了那里自然风光的壮美。那个平地而起的山一定是火山口吧?太壮观了!真是名副其实的美国版“鬼见愁”。以后有机会,一定得去看看。

Kevin

Kevin,

怀俄明和达科他确实值得一游。怀俄明最著名的是黄石公园。 我几年前曾去过那里。这次去的一些地方,其景色也与黄石公园类似,不过比黄石公园还是略逊一筹。 尽管如此,依然还是可以用风景如画一词来形容。这样的风景真是令人心旷神怡。 不要说那些国家公园、州立公园,甚至在高速公路上行驶也是一种极大的享受。 遗憾的是,高速公路上难以停车,错过了许多从容欣赏美景和摄影的好机会。

Devils Tower 被印第安人视为神圣之地。关于它的形成,流传着许多有趣的民间故事,例如:
http://www.steelhorsepossemc.com/Devils%20Tower%20Page.htm

某些科学家则从地壳变化的角度,对它的形成做出了解释。请见以下图示:
http://www.nps.gov/archive/deto/geo_slides/slide10.htm

不过石壁上那些整齐规则的岩石柱,就似乎是经过精心加工似的。大自然的鬼斧神工,真令人叹为观止。

Devils Tower 似乎不同于一般的火山口。我以前去 Portland 出差时,在从旧金山飞往 Portland 的飞机上看到下面有很多火山口。 其中积了大量的水而形成天湖,其景色也极为壮观。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reports from the World Travellers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »