https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/35205-what_are_you_doing_this_weekend.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What are you doing this weekend?
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 30, 2005

So silent here it seems
And few people on MSN...
Are you enjoying this weekend going out?
I'm staring at my screen wondering...
Fighting in heat and humidity
Struggling against deadline and,
Waiting for a client's call...

Sighing.

[Edited at 2005-07-30 07:29]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 09:45
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
This weekend Jul 30, 2005

A rough schedule....

1.30pm: Got out of bed. Good morning!
1.40pm: Breakfast - orange juice and grilled cheese
2.00pm: A Chinese friend is here to borrow some English books. I'll probably lend her one of my John Grisham books and "Desert Dawn" from Waris Dirie
3.30pm: Start work (I have a Monday deadline)
6.00pm: Dinner. I feel like having seafood today. Yummy!!
7.30pm: Espresso time!
... See more
A rough schedule....

1.30pm: Got out of bed. Good morning!
1.40pm: Breakfast - orange juice and grilled cheese
2.00pm: A Chinese friend is here to borrow some English books. I'll probably lend her one of my John Grisham books and "Desert Dawn" from Waris Dirie
3.30pm: Start work (I have a Monday deadline)
6.00pm: Dinner. I feel like having seafood today. Yummy!!
7.30pm: Espresso time!
9.00pm: Continue with work
Midnight: Watch a few episodes of Friends on DVD
2.00am: Continue with work
4.00am: Sleep

2.00pm: Do I have to get up sooooooooo early on a Sunday?
2.10pm: Breakfast - boiled egg, orange juice, toast, cheese
3.00pm: Work (with a coffee break in between)
7.00pm: Dinner - Pizza from the Turkish eatery two blocks away
8.30pm: Continue with work
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do we all have to work like cats? Jul 31, 2005

My working and rest time is similar with yours in its irregularity.

Just not as romantic:

1. Client sent me files with word counts 6,000 words less than my calculation. BIG loss! So had to clarify this with client. That's Saturday...

2. Server down this morning. No WWW access, no ftp, almost no E-mail access and no...not so good beginning for Sunday.

3. These two days are cloudy and raining. Yesterday there was a rainstorm. Humid and hot...... See more
My working and rest time is similar with yours in its irregularity.

Just not as romantic:

1. Client sent me files with word counts 6,000 words less than my calculation. BIG loss! So had to clarify this with client. That's Saturday...

2. Server down this morning. No WWW access, no ftp, almost no E-mail access and no...not so good beginning for Sunday.

3. These two days are cloudy and raining. Yesterday there was a rainstorm. Humid and hot...

4. Hope tomorrow will be clear, going to meet client from Australia.

Weiwei, I only have Maxwell instant coffee. When you have time also make some expresso for me.
Collapse

Shaun Yeo
Shaun Yeo  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
It gives your a good pretext to go out and...work Jul 31, 2005

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Well, if that ever happens to me, I will take it that it's time I went out to one of the Starbuck or Coffee Bean outlets and...work on my notebook. It's a break from routine, which sometimes brings productivity.

3. These two days are cloudy and raining. Yesterday there was a rainstorm. Humid and hot...

Oh but with this kind of weather, I'm not sure I want to step out of my cozy place...

All the best, Zhang!

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea. Jul 31, 2005

Shaun Yeo wrote:

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Well, if that ever happens to me, I will take it that it's time I went out to one of the Starbuck or Coffee Bean outlets and...work on my notebook. It's a break from routine, which sometimes brings productivity.

Oh but with this kind of weather, I'm not sure I want to step out of my cozy place...

All the best, Zhang!

Thanks for the humor that brings smile to my face and actually helped relieve my pressure. My hosting company was under attack, now everything is back.

You are one of the many seniors I respect in this forum. If you can call me Jianjun and let me call you Shaun, I'd be very happy.

Learned a lot from your posts.

Shaun Yeo
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Jianjun! Jul 31, 2005

Hi Jianjun!
Jianjun Zhang wrote:
Thanks for the humor that brings smile to my face and actually helped relieve my pressure. My hosting company was under attack, now everything is back.

That's terrible! I can't imaging myself working without access to the Internet. That's why I have 3 different email addresses (all pop). Most of my customersa are advised to send all inquiries and messages to all the three addresses.
I also have 2 Internet plans, one cable and the other, dial-up. And, in case the two happen to be down at the same time, which is quite unlikely, I can simply take a 5-mintue drive to any of the quieter cafes (read expensive cafe) and use their wireless network.

You are one of the many seniors I respect in this forum. If you can call me Jianjun and let me call you Shaun, I'd be very happy.

Come on, young guys like us should not stand on ceremony

Learned a lot from your posts.

Thank you. I am flattered. I look forward to your contribution too

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Shaun Jul 31, 2005

Shaun Yeo wrote:
That's terrible! I can't imaging myself working without access to the Internet.

Absolutely. Just a while ago while I was having supper I thought about this. The computer and the access to the Internet are indispensible. Quite the lifeline for a pro.

That's why I have 3 different email addresses (all pop). Most of my customersa are advised to send all inquiries and messages to all the three addresses.
I also have 2 Internet plans, one cable and the other, dial-up. And, in case the two happen to be down at the same time, which is quite unlikely, I can simply take a 5-mintue drive to any of the quieter cafes (read expensive cafe) and use their wireless network.

I also have a couple of Emails, but my mess was in a sense caused by my own silliness and overconfidence. One is that I relied too much on one address as it is, in theory, the most reliable. Two is that I forgot to set it correctly so copies of E-mails can be sent to my other addresses. In case of inaccessibility, this would help a lot.

I hope other colleagues can benefit from my experience.

Thank you. I am flattered. I look forward to your contribution too

To be frank, in this forum I'd rather read than vent, for before people of world fame (I'm speaking from my heart with sincerity), there's no place for me to play.

But that doesn't mean I feel disadvantaged. I'm struggling hard to provide ever higher quality services to my present clients. If I just keep driveling and then make a fool of myself, I can never get better.

=========================
A few more words about arguing in the forum. When I was four years younger at 30 or 31, I used to be rather aggressive in forums arguing with people. The feeling was like I had every bit of truth and other guys just should surrender their rights of freedom of speech. Maybe I was greatly influenced by some school of thinking believing in absolute authority.

But when I was older, I look back and see my pitiable little image taking part in an argument about nonsense. Time wasted and I demeaned myself. The more I think about this the more I want to avoid being like that fool again.

So just as some colleague already suggested, we are all not easy, why don't we just be peaceful with one another?

This forum is a great place for fellow translators at least for people of similar interest to pool what they have: Joy and sadness, to exchange info and encourage one another to be more professionally qualified. Not a street market, full of noisiness and uneducated crap language and illogical drooling.

Let's make this place a better and healthier place benefiting all of us.

This is just a private talk published in an open forum. No intention to hurt anybody.

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Coffee Jul 31, 2005

Actually I am not too crazy about coffee but I wouldn't mind a Starbucks frappucino once in a while. A pity I don't get that here. I'm a Starbucks fanatic but now I have to drive at least half an hour to get to one. Shaun, you lucky guy!

It seems like the world stops turning for us when the internet is down. I hate that too. You don't get emails and you can't do research online. Everything just kind of stops.

I do not mind working on weekends because over here in my cit
... See more
Actually I am not too crazy about coffee but I wouldn't mind a Starbucks frappucino once in a while. A pity I don't get that here. I'm a Starbucks fanatic but now I have to drive at least half an hour to get to one. Shaun, you lucky guy!

It seems like the world stops turning for us when the internet is down. I hate that too. You don't get emails and you can't do research online. Everything just kind of stops.

I do not mind working on weekends because over here in my city, there is really nothing going on, especially on Sundays when all the shops are closed. In fact, I prefer to have work so I have the excuse not to wash the dishes and vacuum the floor. Nope, do not think I live in a pigpen. My house is okay.... I do clean the house, but mostly as a therapeutic exercise. I work for a few hours, get sick of sticking my face to the computer screen, and I go wash the dishes. Seeing the over-stuffed sink clearing up just is therapeutic. And then I feel good, and I am ready to continue my work. Life....

Jianjun, I like your topic. You get to see another side of your peers' life. When you hear what they do outside work, you see them as persons and not just translators. Get what I mean??

Alrightie, let's hope we see more postings in here. Write, people. Write!

Cheers,
Denyce

[Edited at 2005-07-31 15:19]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
weiwei, Jul 31, 2005

我几年前没当freelancer时,还打打网球,尽管技术极差,很难找到对手游游泳 、自己作作健身操什么的,或者干脆步行进城30-45分钟左右。弄得一个参加马拉松长跑的邻居笑话我在汽车污染的大道上步行锻炼。

这几年几乎和你的周日一样,我的运动仅限于休息时洗洗碗,打扫打扫卫生什么的,还尽可能少作。但是我很后悔这种生活,总想着有一天还要恢复运动。

你那么年青,就不想玩玩,如果不愿体育运动,跳跳舞也好呀!

Shaun Yeo
English to Chinese
+ ...
Discussion Jul 31, 2005

Hi Jianjun,
Jianjun Zhang wrote:
I also have a couple of Emails, but my mess was in a sense caused by my own silliness and overconfidence. One is that I relied too much on one address as it is, in theory, the most reliable. Two is that I forgot to set it correctly so copies of E-mails can be sent to my other addresses. In case of inaccessibility, this would help a lot.

On your second point, I don't think setting an email account to forward all incoming mails to nother accounts works. You see, if you set account A to auto-forward all emails to account B and C, it works fine only when account A is up and running. However, when account A is down, all emails sent to it will be bounced before they go through the forwarding procedure, which means B and C get nothing at all. Or have I interpreted your intended meaning incorrectly?
To be frank, in this forum I'd rather read than vent, for before people of world fame (I'm speaking from my heart with sincerity), there's no place for me to play.

Well, in that case, a nobody like me should not have opened my mouth:-) But I believe all men...and women are equal at least on the net. And no, I don't believe some are more equal
A few more words about arguing in the forum...The more I think about this the more I want to avoid being like that fool again.

If it is a language/translation-related discussion, I have a strong interest in being part of it. I may not be able to contribute much but I believe I can at least learn something. However, I keep away from it when it turns sour. That was why during that last you-know-what event, I didn't utter a word when it started to get ugly. I have better things to do.
This forum is a great place for fellow translators...
Let's make this place a better and healthier place benefiting all of us.

Well said. Hope to read your contribution more often here.

[Edited at 2005-07-31 15:42]

Shaun Yeo
English to Chinese
+ ...
I love Singapore :-) Jul 31, 2005

weiwei wrote:

Not to rub salt into the wound but in my case, the "happening" Orchard Road is just 10 minutes away from my place...

I do not mind working on weekends because over here in my city, there is really nothing going on, especially on Sundays when all the shops are closed...

And they say Singapore is a boring place to be?

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't make myself understood Jul 31, 2005

Shaun Yeo wrote:
On your second point, I don't think setting an email account to forward all incoming mails to nother accounts works. You see, if you set account A to auto-forward all emails to account B and C, it works fine only when account A is up and running. However, when account A is down, all emails sent to it will be bounced before they go through the forwarding procedure, which means B and C get nothing at all. Or have I interpreted your intended meaning incorrectly?

Sorry Shaun, I didn't express myself clearly. My clients know about my other addresses already. But they will mainly use this address to send me mail. Most times they seem to hate to type a few more words into the CC line, so when the mail is out, getting the mail is my sole responsibility. My problem is not with the server down and mail bounced. If that ever happens, these clients will send mail to my secondary addresses. Worse than that is they never get bounced and my server got all the mail but I can't access the mailbox either through POP or web interface. This was what happened this morning, or should I say last morning. A little bit tricky huh?
Well, in that case, a nobody like me should not have opened my mouth:-)

You are always so modest. Reading your and other fellow proz' comments on Joyce's translation and the discussions among you, I feel shy and just want to read and learn. Dare not to play escape before Houdini (my rendition for 班门弄斧:D ). What I said was from my heart. I'd like to be a good translator and being humble is a shortcut.

But I believe all men...and women are equal at least on the net. And no, I don't believe some are more equal

Can't agree more, Shaun.

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Singapore is boring? Jul 31, 2005

Who said that???? I've lived in four different countries and I must say I still prefer Singapore. There is just so much going on. If you are a gourmet, there's cuisine from all over the world; if you are a shopaholic, hit Orchard Road or even the little shops in your neighbourhodd (I used to shop at Bedok Interchange with my mum when I was young); and if you feel like a little "culture" evening, go for a play or musical any time.

You live 10 minutes from Orchard Road? District 10??
... See more
Who said that???? I've lived in four different countries and I must say I still prefer Singapore. There is just so much going on. If you are a gourmet, there's cuisine from all over the world; if you are a shopaholic, hit Orchard Road or even the little shops in your neighbourhodd (I used to shop at Bedok Interchange with my mum when I was young); and if you feel like a little "culture" evening, go for a play or musical any time.

You live 10 minutes from Orchard Road? District 10???? RICH MAN!

I really can't wait to come home in September. I'll be back between 23 Sep and 5 Oct. I was planning to buy you kopi (coffee) at the kopitiam (coffee shop), but it seems that you are the Starbucks/Coffee Bean and Tea Leaves person. Well, I can only afford 60-cents kopi at the kopitiam.... I'll throw in a dau-sa-bao (red bean paste bun), how's that?
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
运动? Jul 31, 2005

有时我觉得这 freelance job 可把我害惨了。以前在办公室里上班,每天上下班和吃午饭时都得走点路,或有 teambuilding training 时可以整天跑上跑下,但现在成天就只是在睡房、书房、厨房和厕所之间兜 , 一点运动也没有。 再加上我身体不好,也不能晒太阳,什么室外运动也别想了。

我知道我的生活方式很不健康,但习惯难改呀。我有时会觉得内疚,就象今天想吃pizza,所以逼自己把整间屋子吸尘一遍,burn 一点 calories。

跳舞? 我老了 … 上舞厅看到那些漂亮妹妹,我会自卑的 ….

Shaun Yeo
English to Chinese
+ ...
me not rich lah! Aug 1, 2005

weiwei wrote:
You live 10 minutes from Orchard Road? District 10???? RICH MAN!

What rich man? Don't you know it's a 10-minute drive from Serangoon to Orchard, with our world-class transport system and all that? I am a heartlander not a metropolitan, so to speak

... I was planning to buy you kopi (coffee) at the kopitiam (coffee shop), but it seems that you are the Starbucks/Coffee Bean and Tea Leaves person. Well, I can only afford 60-cents kopi at the kopitiam.... I'll throw in a dau-sa-bao (red bean paste bun), how's that?

Well, to be frank, I have not sat in a coffee shop for at least 5-8 years. Yes, I still think our expresso at the coffee shop is better than its counterpart in a posh outlet but I am one who is more at ease at less crowded, smoke-free, and air-conditioned environment with the correct lighting under which I can see the wrinkles of my coffee mate. Scary, huh? Food, or drink for that matter, is secondary to me.
As for the treat, it's on me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are you doing this weekend?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »