https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/36967-%C7%EB%BD%CC%C7%B0%B1%B2%B8%DF%CA%D6%A3%AC%CE%D2%D5%E2%C3%B4%B7%AD%D2%EB%D5%FD%C8%B7%C2%F0%A3%BF.html

请教前辈高手,我这么翻译正确吗?
Thread poster: Seaguest
Seaguest
Seaguest  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:27
English to Chinese
Sep 20, 2005

看了一篇GRE阅读资料上的文章,是介绍某些具有不对称特征的鱼类以及对这类现象的解释的。我试着翻译了两段不太好理解的句子。想请前辈在理解和表达方面予以指教,谢谢!

1,The ease with which a fish can reverse the effect of the sidedness of its eye asymmetry simply by turning around has caused biologists to study internal anatomy, especially the optic nerves, for the answer.
仅仅通过旋转眼睛所在的�
... See more
看了一篇GRE阅读资料上的文章,是介绍某些具有不对称特征的鱼类以及对这类现象的解释的。我试着翻译了两段不太好理解的句子。想请前辈在理解和表达方面予以指教,谢谢!

1,The ease with which a fish can reverse the effect of the sidedness of its eye asymmetry simply by turning around has caused biologists to study internal anatomy, especially the optic nerves, for the answer.
仅仅通过旋转眼睛所在的位置,一条鱼能轻松自如地克服眼睛不对称的片面效应,这导致生物学家研究它的内部构造,特别是视神经的构造。

2,G.H.Parker reasoned that if, for example, a flatfish's left eye migrated when the right optic nerve was on top, there would be a twisting of nervers, which might be mechanically disadvantageous. For starry flounders, then, the left-eyed variety would be selected against, since in a starry flounder the left optic nerve is uppermost.
Parker论证道,比如,当比目鱼的右眼视觉神经位于顶部时,如果它的左眼要转移向上,神经就会发生扭曲,这从机械运动角度看会产生不便;而对于箭齿鲽鱼来说,由于它是左眼视觉神经在上,所以右眼上移的左眼变种就不可取了。
Collapse

Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
我来抛砖引玉。 Sep 20, 2005

我不是前辈,只是谈谈我的意见。

Seaguest wrote:

by turning around应该是指转身吧?并没有说是turning around its eyes or turning around them(指眼睛)。
漏了for the answer,“导致生物学家研究它的内部解剖构造,尤其是视神经的解剖构造,以求得答案。

2,G.H.Parker reasoned that if, for example, a flatfish's left eye migrated when the right optic nerve was on top, there would be a twisting of nervers, which might be mechanically disadvantageous. For starry flounders, then, the left-eyed variety would be selected against, since in a starry flounder the left optic nerve is uppermost.
Parker论证道,比如,当比目鱼的右眼视觉神经位于顶部时,如果它的左眼要转移向上,神经就会发生扭曲,这从机械运动角度看会产生不便;而对于箭齿鲽鱼来说,由于它是左眼视觉神经在上,所以右眼上移的左眼变种就不可取了。

“右眼视觉神经”应为右侧视神经,右侧视神经并不主管右眼,至少人是这样的,在快到眼睛处有一交叉,这也是为什么这里说是左眼移位。
left eye migrated 移位,并没有说是“转移向上”。

最后一句问题较大。
对于箭齿鲽鱼来说,由于左侧视神经占主导地位,左眼变种就会处于自然选择的劣势。

[Edited at 2005-09-20 21:35]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
严重同意. 置顶. 学习中...... Sep 20, 2005

gladbeach wrote:

我不是前辈,只是谈谈我的意见。

Seaguest wrote:

by turning around应该是指转身吧?并没有说是turning around its eyes or turning around them(指眼睛)。
漏了for the answer,“导致生物学家研究它的内部解剖构造,尤其是视神经的解剖构造,以求得答案。

“右眼视觉神经”应为右侧视神经,右侧视神经并不主管右眼,至少人是这样的,在快到眼睛处有一交叉,这也是为什么这里说是左眼移位。
left eye migrated 移位,并没有说是“转移向上”。

最后一句问题较大。
对于箭齿鲽鱼来说,由于左侧视神经占主导地位,左眼变种就会处于自然选择的劣势。

[Edited at 2005-09-20 21:35]

Seaguest
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢您的点拨 Sep 21, 2005

经过您的指点,我重新翻译后感觉顺畅明晰多了。我原来的翻译就是太钻牛角尖了。谢谢您的指点!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just for Grins Sep 21, 2005

Great input, Lin. I agree with your interpretation.

"English comprehension" in tests like GRE or SAT are not easy by any means. In very limited time, you need to speed read through multiple paragraphs (the degree of difficulty being similar to what Seaguest posted), understand all the nuances, and answer some very tricky multiple choice questions.

And if that's not tough enough, you got 5 to 10 of these to complete, all in a 30-minute time slot(If I remember right).... See more
Great input, Lin. I agree with your interpretation.

"English comprehension" in tests like GRE or SAT are not easy by any means. In very limited time, you need to speed read through multiple paragraphs (the degree of difficulty being similar to what Seaguest posted), understand all the nuances, and answer some very tricky multiple choice questions.

And if that's not tough enough, you got 5 to 10 of these to complete, all in a 30-minute time slot(If I remember right).

Then it's math for 30 minutes after a short break, followed by another battery of English comprehension.

To top it off, it alternates this way between math and English 6 or 7 times(meaning math-Eng-math-Eng-math-Eng).

http://www.psywww.com/careers/gre.htm

Verbal means reading comprehension and Quantitative means math. Back when I took the GRE, there was no Analytical Writing.

[Edited at 2005-09-21 18:44]
Collapse

Seaguest
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
真知灼见 Sep 22, 2005

wherestip前辈,您说得很对!GRE确实很难对付。尤其是它的阅读部分,更是头痛。我下月就要参加这门考试,现在心里还没底。不过我觉得它的阅读部分对于翻译训练似乎很有益处。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Seaguest, don't sweat it Sep 22, 2005

Seaguest wrote:

GRE确实很难对付。尤其是它的阅读部分,更是头痛。我下月就要参加这门考试,现在心里还没底。不过我觉得它的阅读部分对于翻译训练似乎很有益处。

I'm sorry. I was half joking and didn't mean to make you nervous mentioning all that. I took both the SAT and GRE in the early 80s. Their formats were very similar so I could have gotten details of the two mixed up. Besides, a lot of things could have changed. For one, everything was pencil and paper back then.

There were sections of the Verbal test that were very easy too, such as selecting from a set of words a synonym or antonym to a given word.

Also, the Quantitative test was a breeze. At the time, I was surprised to find that the math wasn't any harder than that in the SAT. There were some geometry problems that were barely equivalent to those one encounters in junior high in China...And easy ones on top of that.

Be prepared and very alert when taking the reading comprehension though. I wasn't exaggerating about the amount and difficulty of paragraphs given in a 30-minute time slot. Fortunately, as I recall now, there's only one time slot dedicated to reading comprehension like that. Still, I was quite impressed.

Good luck with the GRE

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教前辈高手,我这么翻译正确吗?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »