Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Why would someone be rude to me because of an ad?
Thread poster: samnunns
redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Samnunns Oct 10, 2005

You are an in-house translator in a translation company, you were asked by other that you will have a book translation task but you thought you could not complete by yourself, then you posted the offer on the board, consequently something happened and upset you somewhat. However, besides that guy, it seems that the offer is still lack of native English translators presently.

Sometimes something easily leak and expose one’s age or experience, but you are a nice girl known from “
... See more
You are an in-house translator in a translation company, you were asked by other that you will have a book translation task but you thought you could not complete by yourself, then you posted the offer on the board, consequently something happened and upset you somewhat. However, besides that guy, it seems that the offer is still lack of native English translators presently.

Sometimes something easily leak and expose one’s age or experience, but you are a nice girl known from “But I thought this is easy to solve since I am willing to put some deposit in my translators' paypal accounts before each delivery.” Because the most terrible thing to translators is that being paid nothing after days and nights toil before screens.

[Edited at 2005-10-12 00:41]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 21:38
Chinese to English
为此还曾与一位 native English speaker 在此论坛上进行过激烈的辩论? Oct 11, 2005

[quote]Yueyin Sun wrote:

关于第一点,我觉得他说的还是有一定的道理。我一直认为,不一定非得 native English speaker 才能作中译英。为此我还曾与一位 native English speaker 在此论坛上进行过激烈的辩论。选择中译英人才,你应该综合考虑译者的素质。翻译无非就是理解和表达,两者不可偏废。如果译者能很好地理解原文,但译文表达不好,固然是一种欠缺。但如果译者不能很好地理解原文,那么表达再好也是白搭。“故事”讲得再动听,却很可能讲的完全是另一码事。在很多情况下,你可能还不得不选择一位non-native English speaker 来作中译英。为了改善译文的表达,你可以让一位 native English speaker 来做 proofreader/editor。在很多情况下,我们不一定非得迁就翻译社,而要给他们上上课。

"...为此我还曾与一位 native English speaker 在此论坛上进行过激烈的辩论?"
->有了这件事情吗?我怎么没什么印象...?是跟我吗?我汉语水平很低,不太会有'激烈辩论'吧.另外我看我不一定会有兴趣这样...也许我记忆力不好.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
请勿自己对号入座 :-) Oct 11, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

->有了这件事情吗?我怎么没什么印象...?是跟我吗?我汉语水平很低,不太会有'激烈辩论'吧.另外我看我不一定会有兴趣这样...也许我记忆力不好.

Lesley,

There are hundreds of Proz.com members in the Chinese-English language pair, who claim themselves as native English speakers and provide translation services from Chinese into English. Therefore, you don't need to worry about yourself too much. However, if my memory is correct, you did contribute somewhat to that particular discussion. Since you said that you were unlikely to have had such an interest, you'd better forget it.

As you can see, many native Chinese speakers are able to speak and write in fairly good English, therefore, Chinese forums are not necessarily carried out in Chinese. In fact, that particular discussion was completely carried out in English although I am not a native English speaker and my English is not good enough.

If you have anything to say about what kind of translators should be deemed as qualified to translate from Chinese into English, I will be very glad to hear it and I encourage you to keep writing in Chinese. Thank you!

[Edited at 2005-10-11 04:10]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No, I do not think it's you. Oct 11, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

有了这件事情吗?我怎么没什么印象...?是跟我吗?我汉语水平很低,不太会有'激烈辩论'吧.另外我看我不一定会有兴趣这样...也许我记忆力不好.

Lesley,

You participated in that discussion. But, I do not think Yueyin was referring to you. "对号入座" is a good Chinese expression used here. I wonder if there is a similar English expression. If there is one, please let me have it. If there isn't one, I wonder if you can come up with a translation for "对号入座", I would like to have it.

Cheers!

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-11 03:53]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Better than nothing. Oct 11, 2005

What came to my mind at this moment is:
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Derived from this idiom:
If the shoe/cap fits, wear it

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Lesley,

You participated in that discussion. But, I do not think Yueyin was referring to you. "对号入座" is a good Chinese expression used here. I wonder if there is a similar English expression. If there is one, please let me have it. If there isn't one, I wonder if you can come up with a translation for "对号入座", I would like to have it.

Cheers!

Kevin

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just kidding! Oct 11, 2005

Last Hermit wrote:

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

If shoe won't fit, fix the foot. (打另一成语)

[Edited at 2005-10-11 14:53]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Usage of None Oct 11, 2005

http://www.longman.com/ae/azar/grammar_ex/message_board/archive/articles/00090.htm

Left: AHD( http://www.bartleby.com/61/82/N0138200.html )
Right: NODE

[Edited at 2005-10-12 08:07]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
This one is closer: Don't put yourself in their shoes! Oct 11, 2005

be (or put oneself) in another person's shoes be (or put oneself) in another person's situation or predicament: if I'd been in your shoes I'd have walked out on him(excerpted from NODE).

Kevin Yang wrote:
"对号入座" is a good Chinese expression used here. I wonder if there is a similar English expression. If there is one, please let me have it. If there isn't one, I wonder if you can come up with a translation for "对号入座", I would like to have it.
Kevin

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
To be able to listen and think will help you to internalize everything. Oct 11, 2005

samnunns wrote:

Please don't miss the point.

No, there's absolutely nothing wrong for Chinese translators to pair with native English speakers. There's no way I'd think it's wrong.... I AM A CHINESE TRANSLATOR MYSELF!! (In my profile, I declared my native language Chinese!) And actually, before posting the job here, I have contacted a Chinese translator here (I can prove this by giving you the user name.) but later on it seemed that MY CLIENTS (not I) care about this more than I thought. So I though I was obligated to make this known to applicants. The point here has never been who is or who isn't a native English speaker, or even how wrong that person's English is; it's that I wonder why he/she would write that kind of email to a stranger. Not that I really care; actually I find it a bit laughable, but I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea why this would happen.
ps. Thanks for all the advice and comfort. You are nice people.

samnunns,

I noticed you wrote in your email "Please don't miss the point." I think this should be what I tell you, because I was surprised to see that you thought my previous message was focusing on the justification of Chinese translators pairing up with native English speakers. That was not my point. It seems you still cannot make a logic connection between your job ad and the response you received. Your confusion shows me your lack of understanding about the people you are dealing with and the environment for operating translation business online. If you really want to understand the problem, and understand the people and the environment here, you will need time to get familiar with the system. My suggestion is that please read my message again and think about what I said. To be able to listen and think will help you to internalize everything.

Cheers!

Kevin

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 21:38
Chinese to English
Well, if the cap fits...(If the cap fits, wear it) Oct 11, 2005

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Lesley,

Cheers!

Kevin

Hi Kevin. Maybe 'If the cap fits, wear it!' but I am not 100% sure about it. Nice how the pithy sayings often translate across languages so well.

samnunns
samnunns
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your title should summarize your main point-- so you have missed the point Oct 12, 2005

Dear Kevin, I went back and checked your previous post again-- your title was "I see nothing wrong for the Chinese translators paring up with the native English speakers"! Now, when we post a forum, we are required to put a title; and there's a green line that says "Your title should summarize your main point." And your post did not really try to answer my question at all (why would someone do this). So of course it looked like your point was about "Chinese translators paring up with native Eng... See more
Dear Kevin, I went back and checked your previous post again-- your title was "I see nothing wrong for the Chinese translators paring up with the native English speakers"! Now, when we post a forum, we are required to put a title; and there's a green line that says "Your title should summarize your main point." And your post did not really try to answer my question at all (why would someone do this). So of course it looked like your point was about "Chinese translators paring up with native English speakers"! To tell you the truth, it still does.
And by the way, my ad did not contain numerous grammatical mistakes; the only thing is "covers", which was a victim of speed. I wrote a mail to the person who sent the mail to me, and gave him a lesson on "may" and "can". Here it is: "may" does not just mean "asking for permission" (i.e. May I go to the bathroom?), it can also refer to "possibility" (i.e. my post " I may have job = There's a possibility for this to happen).
Also the last thing is, in response to your post, that my profile does not contain many things, and "to sell things I should have more things in the store" (your comment, something like that) but A) If you are referring to the job I posted, you may be confused: I am a buyer, not a seller! I am PAYing translators money! B) If your are referring to me as a freelance translator (which should not happen, really, because this forum is about why would someone be rude to me as a "job poster".), to be frank with you, I didn't see much point making my profile good. The reason: I am not a platinum member, and the chances for clients to have my name in their window is about 0.00000023%. The main purpose this site serves, for me, is to provide a platform where I will be notified when job opportunities come up and where I can write to the job posters, when I always provide a much more detailed CV and offer to translate any sample they desire.
So, I do not mean to argue with you here, but it seems to me that you are the one who was missing the point.
The only person who tried to answer my question was Lesley (she said: maybe they want to see my reaction), whom I wrote to before posting the job because A) She's been nice and that leaves me a very good impression B) She's a native English speaker. So actually before someone suggested me in the forum to keep an eye open for translators by checking out Kudoz and forums, I already did that.
Dear Kevin, I have to say, with your title (which summarized your MAIN POINT) being "I don't see anything wrong with the Chinese translators to pair up with the English native speakers, I really think you have missed the point.
ps. With all due respect, but should there be 2 "the"s in your title??
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oh, oh, oh .... Now hold on! Take it easy! Oct 12, 2005

samnunns wrote:

Your title should summarize your main point-- so you have missed the point

Nope, samnunns, it is not the case in our field. The title doesn't bear the importance in translating legal documents. What counts stands in the legal text. And, this practice comes from Maxims of Law from Bouvier's 1856 Law Dictionary: "Sensus verborum est anima legis. (The meaning of words is the spirit of the law.)", "Sensus verborum ex causa dicendi accipiendus est, et sermones semper accipiendi sunt secundum subjectam materiam. (The sense of words is to be taken from the occasion of speaking them, and discourses are always to be interpreted according to the subject-matter.)" and "Sententia non fertur de rebus non liquidis. (Sentence is not given upon a thing which is not clear.)"

So, when you are going to make a judgement, don't look only at the titles and the subtitles. You shall read the contents, instead.

[Edited at 2005-10-12 09:05]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
We are not at the same understanding level about this matter. Oct 12, 2005

Dear samnunns,

It seems to me you are argumentative by nature. Everyone here was trying to help you understand the situation. After over twenty some posts, I wonder if you have a clue yet. By reading your emails, I see you have an attitude problem. In this email of yours, you mentioned quite a few things without using clear paragraph breaks. I hope you know that I had to make an effort to read your writing.

samnunns wrote:
Now, when we post a forum, we are required to put a title; and there's a green line that says "Your title should summarize your main point." And your post did not really try to answer my question at all (why would someone do this).

Good point. But, since you had re-read my previous message, you should have known better that the message title I used was only about one of the 4 things I discussed in that message. There was no room for me to list all 4 points in one title. Apologize for the inconveniences. You should read everything as whole. Don't just read the title.

samnunns wrote:
And by the way, my ad did not contain numerous grammatical mistakes; the only thing is "covers", which was a victim of speed. I wrote a mail to the person who sent the mail to me, and gave him a lesson on "may" and "can". Here it is: "may" does not just mean "asking for permission" (i.e. May I go to the bathroom?), it can also refer to "possibility" (i.e. my post " I may have job = There's a possibility for this to happen).

That's what you think. If you really want our readers to understand your problem, it is perhaps a good idea if you can quote the entire job ad you posted. I was impressed that you "gave him a lesson" about how to use English words. He did similar things to you in his initial message.

samnunns wrote:
Also the last thing is, in response to your post, that my profile does not contain many things, and "to sell things I should have more things in the store" (your comment, something like that) but A) If you are referring to the job I posted, you may be confused: I am a buyer, not a seller! I am PAYing translators money! B) If your are referring to me as a freelance translator (which should not happen, really, because this forum is about why would someone be rude to me as a "job poster".), to be frank with you, I didn't see much point making my profile good. The reason: I am not a platinum member, and the chances for clients to have my name in their window is about 0.00000023%.

You need to re-organize your thoughts here. You certainly enjoy thinking other people are confused. Have you ever thought of such confusion would be possibly caused by you?

In your "A" section, are you saying Profile is only important to a "seller", but not to a "buyer"? Creative thinking, but it is a wrong thought. Profile serves very important role for anyone, regardless he/she is buying or selling. You also made a shouting emphasis that you are "PAYing translators money!" So what? You think you are paying the translators money, then you can call the shot here. You are wrong again. In this place, you can pick the translators, but the translators can also decide if they want to work for you or not. It works both ways.

In the "B" section, you sounded very pessimistic. I hope you can stick around long enough and learn that you need to change yourself to fit into the market, not the other way around. By the way, I treated you as a "freelance translator", because that's what you called yourself in your current Profile. If you want to be treated as an agency, you need to spell that out in your Profile.

samnunns wrote:
The main purpose this site serves, for me, is to provide a platform where I will be notified when job opportunities come up and where I can write to the job posters, when I always provide a much more detailed CV and offer to translate any sample they desire.

It seems you know what you are doing. I do not think you understand how this sytem works here, especially how to present yourself to the clients and the translators at ProZ.com. I certainly hope you will be successful here.

samnunns wrote:
So, I do not mean to argue with you here, but it seems to me that you are the one who was missing the point.

That is a strange statement. I don't mind it as much as you thought. I like to help the people like you. Thank goodness, you are not the first one I have dealt with.

samnunns wrote:
The only person who tried to answer my question was Lesley (she said: maybe they want to see my reaction), whom I wrote to before posting the job because A) She's been nice and that leaves me a very good impression B) She's a native English speaker. So actually before someone suggested me in the forum to keep an eye open for translators by checking out Kudoz and forums, I already did that.

Really, "the only person"? I guess you have a different perception about the word "help". I am pleased to learn that you found Lesley to be very helpful. We all like her, too. I hope you made her very proud of you.

samnunns wrote:
ps. With all due respect, but should there be 2 "the"s in your title??

I guess my English teacher was better than yours.

We are not at the same understanding level about this matter. I have trouble to see you as a victim. If you keep thinking other people did you wrong, you will never see your own weakness.

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-12 23:23]

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Wasting time. Oct 12, 2005

I wonder why
We are wasting time...?
Let's stop here,
And do something else...?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Take it easy! Oct 12, 2005

samnunns,

If you want to run a translation business successfully, it is very important to deal with various types of people properly and to listen to various types of opinions carefully, including opposite ones.

Everybody here is trying to help you, especially, Kevin, who spent so much time here.

We all made our points. Let's stop here, ok? Cheers!

[Edited at 2005-10-12 19:44]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why would someone be rude to me because of an ad?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »