8)Century Dictionary Online: http://www.global-language.com/CENTURY/

[Edited at 2005-11-10 16:08]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 07:47
Chinese to English
Who uses on-line dictionaries? Nov 11, 2005

Great. Thank you Last Hermit. Perhaps I should try them. I have never used on-line dictionaries. Are they useful? Are they fast? Do you need broadband? How many people use them? Are there any good ones for Chinese?

[Several of us in Christchurch (me and two Japanese->English colleagues) were talking about on-line dictionaries recently, and these were some of the questions that came up... ]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good job, Mr. Dictionary! Nov 11, 2005

Last Hermit,

Good job, Mr. Dictionary! Perhaps Lesley can evaluate them and let us know. I use online dictionaries. I found they are quicker than flipping pages in the conventional dictionaries.

If anyone has good ones to recommend, please share with us. Such good deeds will create good karma.

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-11-11 01:18]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 03:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome! Nov 11, 2005

Here are two prized ones:

《汉语大词典》: http://www.ewen.cc/books/hd20.asp

《国语辞典》: http://140.111.34.46/dict/

But I still suggest you should upgrade all your concise dictionaries. They're NOT for translation but for English learning for beginners to intermediates.

Fast or not? Try it!

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Great. Thank you Last Hermit. Perhaps I should try them. I have never used on-line dictionaries. Are they useful? Are they fast? Do you need broadband? How many people use them? Are there any good ones for Chinese?

[Several of us in Christchurch (me and two Japanese->English colleagues) were talking about on-line dictionaries recently, and these were some of the questions that came up... ]

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other reliable sources for E-C/C-E translation Nov 12, 2005

1)《汉英法律词汇》: http://translate.justice.gov.hk/... See more
1)《汉英法律词汇》: http://translate.justice.gov.hk/gb/www.legislation.gov.hk/chi/glossary/homeglos.htm

2)《英汉法律词汇》: http://translate.justice.gov.hk/gb/www.legislation.gov.hk/eng/glossary/homeglos.htm

3)GIC: http://search.info.gov.hk/eng/

4)HKSFC: http://sc.sfc.hk/gb/www.sfc.hk/sfc/html/TC/inutilbar/glossary/glossary.html
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To leverage the advantages of ODE Online... Nov 12, 2005

For example, you are looking for a phrase whose meaning is close to that of the Chinese "得陇望蜀". Do a search within ODE online for the exact phrase of "want more", and you get the following:

Displaying 3 of 3 results
Search level: All search terms in full text [info]
For example, you are looking for a phrase whose meaning is close to that of the Chinese "得陇望蜀". Do a search within ODE online for the exact phrase of "want more", and you get the following:

Displaying 3 of 3 results

• 1. play-play adjective
    [attrib.] not genuine; make-believe: they're at the age when they want more than a play-play watch.

• 2. bread noun
    [mass noun] food made of flour, water, and yeast mixed together and baked: a loaf of bread | [as modifier] a bread roll | [count noun] Italian breads. • the bread or wafer used in the Eucharist: altar bread. • figurative the food that one needs in ...

• 3. moreish adjective
    Brit. informal so pleasant to eat that one wants more: a moreish aubergine dip.

Click on 2. bread noun , you get this phrase: want one's bread buttered on both sides (informal) want more than is practicable or than is reasonable to expect.  
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Online dictionaries Nov 12, 2005

@Last Hermit:

I usually use Webster (www.webster.com) and Hyperdictionary (www.hyperdictionary.com). Nice to know that there are so many more out there.

You might like to give Webster a try. It has a read-out function for users to listen to the pronunciation of a word.

@Lesley:
I
... See more
@Last Hermit:

I usually use Webster (www.webster.com) and Hyperdictionary (www.hyperdictionary.com). Nice to know that there are so many more out there.

You might like to give Webster a try. It has a read-out function for users to listen to the pronunciation of a word.

@Lesley:
I find online dictionaries really useful. I would usually have a window open with Hyperdictionary or Webster. Definitely much faster than flipping dictionaries.

Denyce
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You want to broaden your vocabulary Nov 13, 2005

Synonyms of suppress?
In ODE's Search field, type�suppress�. The following is displayed:
Results from your search for suppress
Widen your search 
... See more
Synonyms of suppress?
In ODE's Search field, type�suppress�. The following is displayed:
Widen your search  Search tips

Displaying 1 of 1 result
Search level: All search terms in entry headings [info]

• 1. suppress verb
    [with obj.] forcibly put an end to: the rising was savagely suppressed. � prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain: she could not suppress a rising panic. � prevent the dissemination of ...

Results per page

10 per page 25 per page 50 per page 75 per page 100 per page
Order Results

By Relevance Alphabetically

Now click on Widen your search, you get the following:

Displaying 25 of 38 results

• 1. suppress verb
    [with obj.] forcibly put an end to: the rising was savagely suppressed. � prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain: she could not suppress a rising panic. � prevent the dissemination of ...

• 2. repression noun
    [mass noun] the action of subduing someone or something by force. � the restraint, prevention, or inhibition of a feeling, quality, etc.: the repression of anger can be positively harmful. � the action or process of suppressing a thought or desire in ...

• 3. Severus, Septimius
    ( 146 � 211 ), Roman emperor 193 � 211 ; full name Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax . He reformed the imperial administration and the army. In 208 he led an army to Britain to suppress a rebellion in the north of the country and later died at York.

• 4. quash verb
    [with obj.] reject as invalid, especially by legal procedure: his conviction was quashed on appeal. � put an end to; suppress: a hospital executive quashed rumours that nursing staff will lose jobs.

• 5. adjuvant adjective
    (of therapy) applied after initial treatment for cancer, especially to suppress secondary tumour formation.

• 6. triumphant adjective
    having won a battle or contest; victorious: two of their triumphant Cup team | [postpositive] a comic fairy tale about innocence triumphant. � feeling or expressing jubilation after a victory or achievement: he couldn't suppress a triumphant smile.

• 7. squelch verb
    [no obj.] make a soft sucking sound such as that made by treading heavily through mud: bedraggled guests squelched across the lawns. � informal forcefully silence or suppress: property developers tried to squelch public protest.

• 8. leukaemia noun
    [mass noun] a malignant progressive disease in which the bone marrow and other blood-forming organs produce increased numbers of immature or abnormal leucocytes. These suppress the production of normal blood cells, leading to anaemia and other symptoms.

• 9. withhold verb
    ( past and past participle withheld ) [with obj.] refuse to give (something that is due to or is desired by another): the name of the dead man is being withheld | [as noun] ( withholding ) the withholding of consent to treatment. � suppress or hold ...

• 10. quell verb
    [with obj.] put an end to (a rebellion or other disorder), typically by the use of force: extra police were called to quell the disturbance. � subdue or silence (someone): Connor quelled him with a look. � suppress (a feeling): she quelled an urge to ...

• 11. suppression noun
    [mass noun] the action of suppressing something such as an activity or publication: the Communist Party's forcible suppression of the opposition in 1948. � Medicine stoppage or reduction of a discharge or secretion. � Biology the absence or ...

• 12. Roberts, Frederick Sleigh, 1st Earl Roberts of Kandahar
    ( 1832 � 1914 ), British Field Marshal. He helped suppress the Indian Mutiny of 1857 � 8 , secured victory at Kandahar ( 1880 ), ending the Second Afghan War, and planned the successful march on the Boer capital of Pretoria ( 1900 ) during the Second ...

• 13. censor noun
    an official who examines books, films, news, etc. that are about to be published and suppresses any parts that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security. � Psychoanalysis an aspect of the superego which is said to ...

• 14. quench verb
    satisfy (one's thirst) by drinking. � satisfy (a desire): he only pursued her to quench an aching need.

• 15. strangle verb
    [with obj.] squeeze or constrict the neck of (a person or animal), especially so as to cause death: the victim was strangled with a scarf. � [as adj.] ( strangled ) sounding as though the utterer's throat is constricted: a series of strangled gasps. � ...

• 16. repress verb
    [with obj.] subdue (someone or something) by force: the uprisings were repressed. � restrain, prevent, or inhibit (the expression or development of something): Isabel couldn't repress a sharp cry of fear. � suppress (a thought or desire) so that it ...

• 17. interpose verb
    [with obj.] place or insert between one thing and another: she interposed herself between the newcomers. � say (words) as an interruption: if I might interpose a personal remark here.

• 18. hush verb
    [with obj.] make (someone) be quiet or stop talking: he placed a finger before pursed lips to hush her. � [no obj., often in imperative] be quiet: Hush! Someone will hear you. � ( hush something up ) suppress public mention of something: management ...

• 19. nip1 verb
    [with obj.] bite or pinch sharply: one of the dogs nipped him on the leg | [no obj.] his teeth nipped at her ear. � (of the cold or frost) damage or hurt: the vegetable garden, nipped now by frost.

• 20. smother verb
    kill (someone) by covering their nose and mouth so that they suffocate. � make (someone) feel trapped and oppressed by acting in an overly protective manner towards them.

• 21. clench verb
    (with reference to the fingers or hand) close into a tight ball, especially as a manifestation of extreme anger: [with obj.] she clenched her fists, struggling for control | [no obj.] Ian's right hand clenched into a fist | [as adj.] ( clenched ) he ...

• 22. clamp1 noun
    a brace, band, or clasp for strengthening or holding things together. � short for wheel clamp .

• 23. censure verb
    [with obj.] express severe disapproval of (someone or something), especially in a formal statement.

• 24. squash1 verb
    crush or squeeze (something) with force so that it becomes flat, soft, or out of shape: wash and squash the cans before depositing them | [as adj.] ( squashed ) a squashed packet of cigarettes. � [with obj. and adverbial] squeeze or force into a small ...

• 25. filter noun
    a porous device for removing impurities or solid particles from a liquid or gas passed through it: an oil filter. � a filter tip: [as modifier] a cheap filter cigarette. � a screen, plate, or layer of a substance which absorbs light or other radiation ...

Results per page

10 per page 25 per page 50 per page 75 per page 100 per page
Order Results

By Relevance Alphabetically

Pick those that best fit in your contexts.
Have a ball!
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thesaurus is the quickest and easiest way Nov 13, 2005

Say www.M-W.com

... See more
Say www.M-W.com

width=728 height=90 border=1>

Home

Premium Services

M-WCollegiate.com

M-WUnabridged.com

Britannica.com

Multi-User Licenses

Downloads

Toolbar

Sidebar Tab

Lookup Button

Search Boxes

Firefox Tools

Word of the Day

Today's Word

Archive

Subscribe

Word Games

Today's Game

More Word Games

Daily Crossword

Word for the Wise

Today's Broadcast

Archive

About WFTW

Online Store

Books and CD-ROMs

Online Services

Handhelds

Palm and Pocket PC

Wireless

Help

Looking Up a Word

FAQ

Citing the Dictionary

Audio Pronunciations

Word Games Help

Toolbar Help

CD-ROM Support

Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus

One entry found for suppress.

Entry Word: suppress
Function: verb
Text: 1 to keep from being publicly known <the government tried to suppress the truth about that incident>
Synonyms cover (up), hush (up)
Related Words censor, silence; repress, smother, squash, squelch, stifle
Phrases keep a lid on
Near Antonyms debunk, expose, reveal, show up, uncloak, uncover, unmask; disclose, divulge, tell, unveil; broadcast, circulate, publish, spread; describe, narrate, recite, recount, rehearse, relate, report
2 to refrain from openly showing or uttering <he managed to suppress a scream at the sight of the dead body> <suppressed her anger>
Synonyms choke (back), pocket, repress, smother, stifle, strangle, swallow
Related Words control, govern, handle, manage; bridle, check, curb, hold back, quell; bottle up, contain, hold in; muffle, squelch
Near Antonyms loose, release, take out, unleash, vent
3 to hold back the normal growth of <pruning helps suppress buds at the ends of developed branches and encourages new growth elsewhere> -- see STUNT
4 to put a stop to (something) by the use of force <nothing could suppress the rising tide of protest against the dictator's latest injustices> -- see QUELL 1

[Edited at 2005-11-13 06:54]
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you happen to know that... Nov 14, 2005

www.webster.com is just another domain name for www.m-w.com ? But mind you, a Webster's dictionary if NOT necessarily a Merriam Webster's one - Random House ( www.randomhouse.com )also publishes an array of dictionaries with a title that includes 'Webster'.

As for those in the listing, I have m
... See more
www.webster.com is just another domain name for www.m-w.com ? But mind you, a Webster's dictionary if NOT necessarily a Merriam Webster's one - Random House ( www.randomhouse.com )also publishes an array of dictionaries with a title that includes 'Webster'.

As for those in the listing, I have most of them installed on my computer - even have the NODE counterpart NOAD (New Oxford American Dictionary)installed on my mobile phone! I use the NODE (very much the same as the ODE)  and Longman a lot for translation. I strongly suggest you should go take a look at the ODE. This one is not to be missed!
Only when I encounter technical terms will I consult an E-C.

weiwei wrote:

@Last Hermit:

@Lesley:
I find online dictionaries really useful. I would usually have a window open with Hyperdictionary or Webster. Definitely much faster than flipping dictionaries.

Denyce
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now why Longman? Nov 14, 2005

Take 'flip' for example. If you consult Longman etc. frequently, you'll learn that you do not usually say 'flip a dictionary' because it sounds like you flip it as a whole. You say 'flip through a dictionary'. Check it out for this entry by clicking on this button

&nbs
... See more
Take 'flip' for example. If you consult Longman etc. frequently, you'll learn that you do not usually say 'flip a dictionary' because it sounds like you flip it as a whole. You say 'flip through a dictionary'. Check it out for this entry by clicking on this button

Ldoce Online

flip1 past tense and past participle flipped, present participle flipping

1move [intransitive,transitive always + adverb/preposition] to move something with a quick sudden movement so that it is in a different position:
He flipped the top off the bottle and poured himself a drink.
She flipped the lid of the box open and looked inside.
flip over
He flipped the paper over and started writing on the back.

2turn in the air [transitive] to make a flat object such as a coin go upwards and turn over in the air [= toss]:
We flipped a coin to see who would go first.
There's quite an art to flipping pancakes.

3angry [intransitive] informal to suddenly become very angry or upset [= lose it]:
I just flipped and started shouting.

4turn a switch [transitive] to move a switch so that a machine or piece of electrical equipment starts or stops [= flick]:
Anna flipped the switch that opened the front gate.
flip something on/off
Josie flipped on the radio.

5turn pages [intransitive and transitive] to turn the pages of a book or newspaper quickly, especially because you are looking for something:
He picked up the newspaper and flipped straight to the sports pages.
flip through
I flipped through my address book but couldn't find her phone number.

6 flip your lid informal to suddenly become very angry [= go crazy]:
Mom flipped her lid when she found out I was pregnant.

flip somebody £ off phrasal verb

also flip somebody the bird to make a rude sign at someone by lifting up your middle finger and keeping your other fingers down
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free online: highly-acclaimed English dictionaries

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »