Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
转贴:对第十七届“韩素音青年翻译奖”赛(汉译英)的批评
Thread poster: Last Hermit
nyleda
nyleda
English to Chinese
"I don't have to keep... and quit..." Aug 19, 2006

[中文原文] 随看随忘,便扔在一边。
[参考译文] I don't have to keep them in mind and quit them as I see fit.

>> when completed, the second half of the sentence, "(and) i don't have to quite them as I see fit", says exactly the opposite of the original chinese (随)便扔在一边.

nyleda
nyleda
English to Chinese
how does a "changeable event" look like? Aug 19, 2006

[中文原文] 打开电视,又是一番新气象。古今中外,赤道南极,变幻莫测。
[参考译文] When I turn on the TV set, some other new scenes come into my sight, for example, the changeable events in history or in current affaires, on the equator or at the poles.

"a changeable event" refers to an event that either its content or programming schedule can be subject to change. the implication is that multiple versions of the same event (in history or at pr
... See more
[中文原文] 打开电视,又是一番新气象。古今中外,赤道南极,变幻莫测。
[参考译文] When I turn on the TV set, some other new scenes come into my sight, for example, the changeable events in history or in current affaires, on the equator or at the poles.

"a changeable event" refers to an event that either its content or programming schedule can be subject to change. the implication is that multiple versions of the same event (in history or at present) will be offered (ie, different stories will be told for the same event from time to time), or the broadcasting of the event will be rescheduled or cancelled.

"changeable" may be replaced with "various".

[Edited at 2006-08-21 09:45]
Collapse

nyleda
nyleda
English to Chinese
what is "a summit to be reached"? Aug 19, 2006

[中文原文] 六十整岁望七十岁如攀高山。
[参考译文] At the age of sixty I longed for a life span of seventy, a goal as difficult as a summit to be reached.

"a goal as difficult as a summit to be reached" contains three errors: (1) "a summit to be reached" is grammatically incorrect
  • . the grammatically correct form is "a summit to reach"; (2) "as difficult as a summit to reach" places the indefinite form at a wrong p... See more
  • [中文原文] 六十整岁望七十岁如攀高山。
    [参考译文] At the age of sixty I longed for a life span of seventy, a goal as difficult as a summit to be reached.

"a goal as difficult as a summit to be reached" contains three errors: (1) "a summit to be reached" is grammatically incorrect
  • . the grammatically correct form is "a summit to reach"; (2) "as difficult as a summit to reach" places the indefinite form at a wrong position, the correct position is after the adjective difficult, that is, "as difficult to reach as"; (3) but "as difficult to reach as a summit" is still not good. the use of an indefinite article creates uncertainties. to remove the uncertainties, we need more than just an indefinite article to qualifiy the word "summit", for instance, "the himalayan summit". a revised version for this piece is "a goal as difficult to reach as the himalayan summit".

• in the most reduced form:
    -a book to read or the book to be read
    -a coffee to drink or the coffee to be drunk
    -a life to enjoy or the life to be enjoyed ▲ Collapse

•  
    Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

转贴:对第十七届“韩素音青年翻译奖”赛(汉译英)的批评

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »