https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/4032-what_the_heck_is%5Cblahblahblah%5C_please_help_me_to_refresh_my_memory.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What the heck is\"blah,blah,blah...\"? Please help me to refresh my memory!!!
Thread poster: Chinoise
Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 19, 2002

Actually, this is a question which was raised in the English-Chinese pair yesterday. Since yesterday, various answers have swarmed in , and I have prided myself upon my ability to be sober-minded all the time as to which is right and which is wrong. But now...

Alas, how I wish I were a native speaker of English! Nevertheless, the frustrating reality is that I am nothing but a native CHINESE speaker...

Dear translators from all over the world, despite the
... See more
Actually, this is a question which was raised in the English-Chinese pair yesterday. Since yesterday, various answers have swarmed in , and I have prided myself upon my ability to be sober-minded all the time as to which is right and which is wrong. But now...

Alas, how I wish I were a native speaker of English! Nevertheless, the frustrating reality is that I am nothing but a native CHINESE speaker...

Dear translators from all over the world, despite the fact that a nice weekend is drawing near, would you please kindly give me a definite answer to this easy question:

What on earth does the

phrase \"blah,blah,blah...\" mean?

Thanks a lot.

BBW=Betty

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-19 18:52 ]
Collapse

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
English to Chinese
Pragmatics > Semantics Jul 20, 2002

Dear Betty

There is no definitive answer. The words don\'t have their own meaning. The meaning is determined by the usage. Please see answers under the other topic.

The fantastic thing with Proz is that you can ask questions and get answers from good-hearted professionals. I know when people hear us speaking Chinese, they would also think \"Ah, why am I not a native speaker of Chinese? It sounds like music!\"

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Chinese is beautiful... Jul 20, 2002

Quote:
I know when people hear us speaking Chinese, they would also think \"Ah, why am I not a native speaker of Chinese? It sounds like music!\"

Yes, Laurie. Just like you, I also find Chinese is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. Sometimes, when I debate with my classmates about which language is the best, I even say: \"Naturally, it\'s Chinese\". One Korean girl and one Japanese visiting schol
... See more
Quote:
I know when people hear us speaking Chinese, they would also think \"Ah, why am I not a native speaker of Chinese? It sounds like music!\"

Yes, Laurie. Just like you, I also find Chinese is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. Sometimes, when I debate with my classmates about which language is the best, I even say: \"Naturally, it\'s Chinese\". One Korean girl and one Japanese visiting scholar were once annoyed with me as I carelessly blurted out in the semantics class: \"Japanese and Korean borrowed many characters from our language!\" I know, in each person\'s innermost being, his or her mother tongue is always most beautiful, and this innate sentiment can be extended to \"mother\",\"motherland\", etc. This is not a matter of \"pride and prejudice\"; Instead, it\'s something thoroughly understandable. That\'s why we three (Chinese-Korean-Japanese) easily made it up without any mediation. Living in this global community, we understand that the most important thing is that we should respect each other\'s feelings,culture,etc. Personally, from that little anecdote, I have even learned that Japanese, as well as Korean, has its unique beauty, too. Thereafter, I began to learn Japanese at such an old age! (When it comes to articulation, admittedly, Japanese is even easier than Cantonese!!) Last year, I spent 2 months in a Cantonese school, and I have to confess I got no clue as to how to pronounce each and every sound accurately. You know what? As a result,ever since then, I have been communicating with people from Taiwan and Hong Kong in traditional Chinese!!! . However, I still think that German, as our common second foreign language (I believe your SFL is also German!?), is far more difficult than the above-mentioned languages (grammatically speaking). That\'s the very reason why I chose it as my SFL some 14 years ago. French, as you know, is so easy...I have been learning it all the time... Well, I should return to my muttons. Definitely, I still need more answers to the question :

What does \"blah, blah, blah\" mean?

Regards,

Betty

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-20 21:37 ]
Collapse

Ron Clarey
Ron Clarey
Local time: 03:27
Blah Blah Blah etc Jul 20, 2002

It means that someone is talking very boringly at length, the topic being discussed is often over something you have no interest in. British politicians have perfected this to a fine art.

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 20, 2002

Dear Ron:

On behalf of the moderator and all the translators who frequent the Chinese forum, I\'d like to say \"Thank you\" to you for your great help.

Betty

Brian & Fangfang Rutland
Brian & Fangfang Rutland
Local time: 22:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
blah, blah, blah Jul 20, 2002

We agree with the previous postings about the meaning of blah, blah, blah. We feel that it pretty directly correlates with 摍摍摍摍...... in Chinese.

I hope this helps.

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly! Jul 21, 2002

Quote:
We agree with the previous postings about the meaning of blah, blah, blah. We feel that it pretty directly correlates with 等等等等...... in Chinese.

Dear Brian & Fangfang:

Great thanks to both of you.In my opinion, so far, \"等等等等\" has been the best Chinese version for the expression \"blah, blah, blah...\" when it\'s used in the small text that I cited.
... See more

Quote:
We agree with the previous postings about the meaning of blah, blah, blah. We feel that it pretty directly correlates with 等等等等...... in Chinese.

Dear Brian & Fangfang:

Great thanks to both of you.In my opinion, so far, \"等等等等\" has been the best Chinese version for the expression \"blah, blah, blah...\" when it\'s used in the small text that I cited.

Regards,

Betty
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
I would use 这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)等 Jul 21, 2002

这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)

这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)

因为\"blah, blah, blah\" is highly colloquial. 显然有“等等等等”的意思,但是翻译一个术语时,需要区别该术语的译名(或义项)和该术语的定义、解释、或说明。就像一个glossary一样,其entry(条目)往往只是一个词或两个词,其定义则可能
... See more
这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)

这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)

因为\"blah, blah, blah\" is highly colloquial. 显然有“等等等等”的意思,但是翻译一个术语时,需要区别该术语的译名(或义项)和该术语的定义、解释、或说明。就像一个glossary一样,其entry(条目)往往只是一个词或两个词,其定义则可能是一、两个句子。在本例情况下,如果我遇到这个词组,我仍然会译成“这个那个的”、“这哪的”,有些地方可能更习惯于说“这样那样的”。因为人们口头上会这样说,更接近于blah, blah, blah的colloquial and slangy style. 等等等等相应于so on and so forth and is commonly used in written materials although it is also used in the spoken language, for example, at the end of enumberation of individual items. Style wise, it is much less colloquial and and will discount the slangy nature of the materials and the “语境”of the original will be changed. 由于blah, blah, blah通常出现在引述语中,引述者用这个词组时往往反映引述者的观点,即被引述者所说的话为trivial in nature. 后面的就略过不提了。

“这那的”是北京本地人的说法,实际上应该是“这个那个的”的缩略。外地人如果在北京住得时间短,可能还不会这样说。“这个那个的(啰嗦半天,或说了半天,或说了一大堆)”应该是全国比较多的地方人们在口语中都会说的。

她说她今天在市场买了两斤西红柿,还看到两个人为一棵白菜在那儿砍价,回来的路上又修了自行车,这个那个的,说了半天。

如果把上面的“这个那个的,说了半天”换成“等等等等”则不如原文口语化,而且让人觉得衔接上也不大自然。因为“等等”或“等等等等”不能很好地反映引述人对被引述人所说的评价不高的含义。

这里用“这个那个的,说了半天”,应该在衔接上比较自然一些,口头上也常听到人们这样说,表示被引述人还说了一些其它无关要紧的话,就不一一说出来了。

She said she bought a few tomatos at the store, saw two guys quarelling about something and took a bus home, blah, blah, blah.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-22 02:09 ]
Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"blah, blah, blah..."之译趣 Jul 22, 2002

Quote:
She said she bought a few tomatos at the store, saw two guys quarelling about something and took a bus home, blah, blah, blah.她说她今天在市场买了两斤西红柿,还看到两个人为一棵白菜在那儿砍价,回来的路上又修了自行车,这个那个的,说了半天。

Li Bin, 就您所举的例子而言,您的译法完全正确。以下还有一些别的例句和译文
... See more
Quote:
She said she bought a few tomatos at the store, saw two guys quarelling about something and took a bus home, blah, blah, blah.她说她今天在市场买了两斤西红柿,还看到两个人为一棵白菜在那儿砍价,回来的路上又修了自行车,这个那个的,说了半天。

Li Bin, 就您所举的例子而言,您的译法完全正确。以下还有一些别的例句和译文,引用来仅供各位参考(其中一些例子尚无译文,有待同行们前来助兴).

由下可知,\"blah,blah,blah\" 用处极广,且\"译\"趣横生:

1)blah blah blah 说个不停

All she does is go \"blah-blah-blah\" all night. 她整夜说个不停。

2)blah blah blah(美俗)废话(常连续讲三次)

A: You talked on the phone for hours.

你电话打了很久啊。

B: Yeah, but it was just a bunch of blah-blah-blah. 是呀,但都只是瞎扯淡。

3)Violence in Colombia, Dome costs money blah blah blah...

And the rest of this week\'s anti-news...

by Kieren McCarthy

4)Blah Blah Blah Cafe/Bar

Exciting, Eclectic Menu & Gourmet Pizzas

Friendly Atmosphere

Open 9 am till late - Sunday from 4 pm

101 Victoria Street, Dargaville

5)\"The Autosegmental theory says it\'s a subject in phonetics, the optimality theory says it\'s a typical topic in phonemics, whereas the lexical phonological theory states \"blah, blah, blah...\" OK, let\'s call it a day.\"

多谢!

Betty

P.S.我感到纳闷:如果\"blah,blah,blah\"是贬义词,为何为数不少的餐馆喜欢用它来命名?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-22 20:01 ]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
She is a blah. Jul 22, 2002

She is a blah.

她话特多。

再不客气一点:他废话特多。

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Blah, blah, blah, he literally talked my ears off." Jul 22, 2002

我又找到一个例句,此处SUNSHINE & KEVIN的译法真管用:

6)Blah, blah, blah, he talked my ears off.

(“废话连篇,哇哩哇啦”--translated by S & K)

A:So...

B: Yep. And, let me tell you, he really likes talk. he told me about his sister, his mother, his company, his work, his dogs, blah, blah, blah ...You know, he literally talked my ears off.

B: 是啊! 让我告诉你, 他真是爱说话。他跟我讲�
... See more
我又找到一个例句,此处SUNSHINE & KEVIN的译法真管用:

6)Blah, blah, blah, he talked my ears off.

(“废话连篇,哇哩哇啦”--translated by S & K)

A:So...

B: Yep. And, let me tell you, he really likes talk. he told me about his sister, his mother, his company, his work, his dogs, blah, blah, blah ...You know, he literally talked my ears off.

B: 是啊! 让我告诉你, 他真是爱说话。他跟我讲他的姊姊, 妈妈, 公司, 工作, 狗。 废话连篇,哇哩哇啦......你知道吗? 我的耳朵都被他讲掉了。

(\"talk someone\'s ears off\" 是形容人喋喋不休, 把听的人的耳朵讲掉了。)

\"不过,前面几句[(3)(4)(5)]翻起来还真棘手!\"(只要译出 \"blah,blah,blah\"在句中的意思就行了,不必翻译整个句子。) Thanks a bunch!

---Betty 语

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-22 14:11 ]
Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
不在话下 Jul 22, 2002

Quote:

by Kieren McCarthy

多米在哥伦比亚违章驾车,吃了罚单,折了金钱,不在话下。除此之外,这星期也再没有什么新鲜事儿了。

或者译得更口语化、更通畅一些:

多米... See more
Quote:

by Kieren McCarthy

多米在哥伦比亚违章驾车,吃了罚单,折了金钱,不在话下。除此之外,这星期也再没有什么新鲜事儿了。

或者译得更口语化、更通畅一些:

多米在哥伦比亚违章驾车,吃单罚钱...,就别提了。可除此之外,这星期哪还有什么新鲜事儿呢?

Quote:

4)Blah Blah Blah Cafe/Bar

How about “雨村吧”或“口不停餐厅”?

Quote:

5)\"The Autosegmental theory says it\'s a subject in phonetics, the optimality theory says it\'s a typical topic in phonemics, whereas the lexical phonological theory states \"blah, blah, blah...\" OK, let\'s call it a day.\"

......;第三种理论( 恕不全译 ) 却又说:“因为...,所以...,但是...,可以...”。唉,我看咱们还是下课吧。

Quote:

我感到纳闷:如果\"blah,blah,blah\"是贬义词,为何为数不少的餐馆喜欢用它来命名?

大概是因为很多人不喜欢听别人\"blah, blah, blah\",自己却又特喜欢\"blah, blah, blah\"。餐馆不过投客之所好而已。

Quote:

B: 是啊! 让我告诉你, 他真是爱说话。他跟我讲他的姊姊, 妈妈, 公司, 工作, 狗。 废话连篇,哇哩哇啦......你知道吗? 我的耳朵都被他讲掉了

最后一句我会这样译:“叽哩呱啦,没完没了。知道吗,我的耳朵都磨出茧子来了。”

用Bin Li 给出的“得吧得吧”,翻出来有点京味儿:

“可不是嘛!我跟你说,她的话那才叫个多。一抓住我,就是她妹呀,她妈呀,她们公司呀,她干的活呀,她们家的狗呀,得吧得吧地,没完没了。知道吗,我耳朵都磨出茧子来了。”

“这那的”也行:

“可不是嘛!我跟你说,她的话那才叫个多。一抓住我就这那地扯,什么她妹呀,她妈呀,她们公司呀,她干的活儿呀,她们家的狗呀,没边儿没沿儿。知道吗,我耳朵都磨出茧子来了。”

聊博诸位一笑。

Xiaoping

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-22 23:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 02:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 02:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 04:07 ]Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
中文,你是我们的骄傲! Jul 23, 2002

Quote:
“雨村吧”或“口不停餐厅”? 最后一句我会这样译:“叽哩呱啦,没完没了。知道吗,我的耳朵都磨出茧子来了。” 聊博诸位一笑。 Xiaoping

中文,我们为你自豪!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 15:52 ]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's call it "万能词"! Jul 23, 2002

7. 胡璐一级谋杀案审理旁听实录

【夜光新闻: 2000-6-18】First judge told jury that under blah blah blah law, they should make the decision completely based on the evidence presented in court, no consideration of public opinions or feelings should Be allowed. After the attorneys give their respective reasons, they can not separate, until they give the final Verdict on two points: ... ...

(何谓\"blah blah blah law\"?)

8. 书名

... See more
7. 胡璐一级谋杀案审理旁听实录

【夜光新闻: 2000-6-18】First judge told jury that under blah blah blah law, they should make the decision completely based on the evidence presented in court, no consideration of public opinions or feelings should Be allowed. After the attorneys give their respective reasons, they can not separate, until they give the final Verdict on two points: ... ...

(何谓\"blah blah blah law\"?)

8. 书名

\"The Art of Blah, Blah, Blah---A Practical Guide to Public Speaking and Debating\"

by Steve Smith

(\"Blah, Blah, Blah\"能跟\"艺术\"两个字搭上边吗?)

此外,这两天我还收到5个来自同行的伊媚尔,其中有3个是说\"blah, blah, blah\" 在英语和其它语言中可代替任何一个自己不知道或不想说出的词随便使用。。。\"Blah blah blah\" 之意似乎越来越玄乎, ...I cannot help blahing!! Can you, folks?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 15:40 ]
Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
吧啦吧啦吧 Jul 24, 2002

Quote:

I cannot help blahing!! Can you, folks?

何不回中国开一间 Blah, Blah, Blanh Bar? 中文名别叫“雨村吧”,太清冷,有假斯文之嫌。就叫“吧啦吧啦吧”好了。有点古怪,有点俏皮,又有点无哩头。数数共有五张嘴巴,吃吧!喝吧!哇啦吧!有此三吧能不火?

北京的小贩叫卖:“菜啦!菜啦!鱼啦�... See more
Quote:

I cannot help blahing!! Can you, folks?

何不回中国开一间 Blah, Blah, Blanh Bar? 中文名别叫“雨村吧”,太清冷,有假斯文之嫌。就叫“吧啦吧啦吧”好了。有点古怪,有点俏皮,又有点无哩头。数数共有五张嘴巴,吃吧!喝吧!哇啦吧!有此三吧能不火?

北京的小贩叫卖:“菜啦!菜啦!鱼啦!鱼啦!”您这儿“吧啦!吧啦!”连广告词都有了。

当人们明白“吧啦”等于“哇啦”时,这店名就更贴心了:“闷得慌吗?哇啦哇啦吧!”

Xiaoping

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-24 07:47 ]Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What the heck is\"blah,blah,blah...\"? Please help me to refresh my memory!!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »