Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Off topic: To celebrate Chinese New Year...
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
So true! Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Here is one for you from my own experience. Almost all foreign students I knew in Beijing were approached by locals who wanted to 'use them' to buy things for them at the Friendship Store or in Hong Kong. We tried to understand...but, it seems opportunistic?

Yueyin Sun wrote:
Lesley,

In early 1980's when you were in Beijing, Chinese people were trying very hard to recover their economy from the catastrophe caused by the Cultural Revolution. Supplies for necessities were very limited. However, to ensure foreigners' comfortable and pleasant stay in China, the Chinese government set up special stores in many cities, like the Friendship Store in Beijing, so that foreigners could enjoy special privileges to buy commodities from those stores. That was a traditional way the Chinese people treat guests. That's also part of our heritage from the 5,000 years civilization. China is a 礼仪之邦. To make it easier for you to understand, it means "朋友来了有好酒…", which is from a famous Chinese patriotic song - 歌唱祖国. If you want, you may ask your Chinese friends, if any, to sing this beautiful song for you.

However, you just take such privileges for granted and use the above example as a reason for looking down upon your Chinese schoolmates. You should feel ashamed!

Yueyin,

So true! I bet the Chinese people in New Zealand did not receive that kind of attention and hospitlity that the Chinese offiered to those foreigners. She could take their hospitality and then call them "opportunistic". That tells you lot about what kind of person she is.

Kevin

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:57
Chinese to English
I went to the so-called Friendship Store as rarely as possible Feb 5, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:
However, you just take such privileges for granted and use the above example as a reason for looking down upon your Chinese schoolmates. You should feel ashamed!

[Edited at 2006-02-05 01:19]

I never enjoyed those so-called privileges. I couldn't stand them. IMO they are just segregation by another name. I shopped where ordinary people shopped, ate what ordinary people ate, changed all my FECs into renminbi, queued at railway stations with ordinary people, lived with ordinary people, travelled hard class in the trains, sat on my bag in the aisles, slept in train stations, ate in the Chinese students' dining room, rode a bicyle and caught the bus, ate local foods, wore Chinese clothes sometimes and in all ways possible tried to live the life of an ordinary person. I visited the embassy quarter as rarely as possible.

I was fortunate enough to enjoy the friendship and hospitality of wonderful Chinese people. I was lucky to be able to do this while I was a student. It would not have been possible later as a diplomat.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
There was no selective use Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:
Under the cover of free speech in this Forum, she selectively used the negative news stories in New Zealand and tried very hard to use them as examples to support her argument that the Western media is accurate, balanced and unbiased.
Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 23:28]

1 There was no selective use of negative news stories
2 Nowhere did I argue that the Western media is accurate, balanced and unbiased.

There is some agenda here?

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The answer is in my message and go back to read it again. Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:
Under the cover of free speech in this Forum, she selectively used the negative news stories in New Zealand and tried very hard to use them as examples to support her argument that the Western media is accurate, balanced and unbiased.
Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 23:28]

1 There was no selective use of negative news stories
2 Nowhere did I argue that the Western media is accurate, balanced and unbiased.

There is some agenda here?

The answer is in my messages and go back to read them again.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Stuff and top stories Feb 5, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Is STUFF the only source you rely on to obtain news?

I think Stuff is the main news site we look at in NZ. I guess the Chinese media such as Tsingtao Daily have sites. I am not sure what their top stories will have been over the past week or so.

The thing is because the media are commercial, the top stories have to be interesting. Everybody reads them. More thoughtful stories and commentary are lower down the list and only some people read them. I am sure it is the same in the USA.

In China perhaps it is different? Perhaps the top stories are stories about people helping each other and so on?

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
About prejudice... Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley,

Your behavior of deleting your problematic posts in ShenZhou 6 folder is called "hit-and-run". In the real life, it is a crime. Anyone who has the integrity and decency would stand behind what was written and posted. The good news is that many translators including me quoted your messages in our replies and got most of your messages partially saved in our posts. Would you like me to list out the words you used to describe China and the Chinese people?

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 02:15]

There were no problematic posts. I have already explained I deleted those posts as a courtesy. You can believe that or not as you wish...

Are you sure this isn't prejudice?

Sorry, that comment related more specifically to this from Kevin's earlier post: "Whenever I see her, I know it is bad news.", but I couldn't get the 'quote' function to work on a heading...

That remark in particular gives the impression of prejudice, in other words 'prejudgement', that I will not get a fair hearing.That what I have to say will not be met with an open mind... that's not really what we want is it?

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
What insulting remarks...? Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:
Comparing with the insulting remarks you made about the Chinese people, this is a mild case for you.

Sorry, what insulting remarks have I made about the Chinese people?

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Had a senior moment? Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Had a senior moment?

Let me help you to recall. Here is a collection of what you wrote here:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

The Cold War is over(isn't it?)

23-year-old Chinese man busted for drug smuggling.

Chinese heart surgeon charged with supplying drugs.

I don't believe ProZ.com should be used as a platform for extremist and uncritical views.
I too dislike political wrangles. However I enjoy debate, as long as it is fair and reasonable. This is an off-topic thread after all. (Should ProZ.com have 'off-topic'? What should the purposes of 'off-topic' be?)

No more anti-Western cold-war type extremist and fundamentalist nationalistic rhetoric please!

A local person (a lawyer) here told me that, in his opinion, of the Asians, the old civilisations (Chinese and Japanese) adapt more easily than the newer ones (Korea, Philippines). They come, they look around and just fit in with the local way of doing things - exactly as Angus said. (We are quite a stable and conservative city, not very large - he would have been referring to HK and Taiwan settlers I think). It is not nice to compare though, is it.
估计律师先生还没遇到过大陆来的(少数)'无产阶级黑帮朋友'青年们,骗人,走私(毒品),抢人,杀死自己女朋友(可怕).也有人作假结婚移民为生意. [Kevin’s Translation for the English readers: “(I) assumed that this lawyer had not met those came from the mainland China (minority) ‘proletarian mafia friends ’, the young people, cheaters, smugglers (drugs), robbers, their own girl-friends killers (horrible). There are also those who provide fake-marriage for immigration as business. ]

Lovely! Where is your evidence? Please don't make unsubstantiated remarks. I hope you will not 'just join in the chorus' - we need people who can think!

Take a look at this, another instance where national celebration (Shenzhou) was turned in the direction of national jingoism. It's disappointing.

Your remarks towards me seem to be constantly running down Westerners by association - perhaps you see me as representative of what you most dislike. Or perhaps you see yourself as a hero, defending something. They also look more and more like personal attacks, even distortions and denigration, which is not a good look for a moderator IMO. There is also a certain amount of innuendo, which is a 'dirty tactic' where I come from. Would you like me to elaborate?]

It shows a certain oversensitivity.

We tried to understand...but, it seems opportunistic?

How people choose to respond to the postings is up to them (as always)... What they say and how they say it can tell us a lot.

honest views are 'kicked with steel-capped boots', free speech 'lies bleeding on the ground'...!
jingoism and Chauvinism

people are quick to think the worst of each other, innuendo and slurs are rife

what is this?! '以理服人'不更文明?

honest views are 'kicked with steel-capped boots', free speech 'lies bleeding on the ground'...! people are quick to think the worst of each other, innuendo and slurs are rife. what is this?!

Arrest in 'triad enforcer' murder case

There is no racist or offensive intention in my description of today's news there, for heaven's sake, I am not like that, (otherwise I would be a hypocrite!)

jingoism - I will come back to that in another post. Perhaps it needs to be defined ('chauvinism' in another post caused consternation because of the Marxist dictionaries others were using...)

[Edited at 2006-02-05 02:38]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
'which should sound pretty familiar to you' - please explain? Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Perhaps we need a Lin Zexu...也许我们需要个林则徐...

[Edited at 2006-01-28 23:46]

However, you are always more than welcome to learn from Mr. Lin and take this opportunity to understand how miserable it was when Mr. Lin and his people had to fight their drug war, which should sound pretty familiar to you.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-01-29 07:17]

This is all I know about the Opium War and Lin Zexu:

I have read and translated an article "林则徐虎门焚烟" in "祖国", and we studied it in Stage 1 Chinese History: from the Opium War to 1949 at the University of Auckland.

Did we cover it in Chinese history at school, I can't remember. But I remember modern Chinese history was part of the Year 12 history curriculum and we did study it for our exams.

I am not sure of the point of your remark 'which should sound pretty familiar to you.'...

Sorry, Kevin. What was the point of this remark? Are you suggesting that I know all about national drug problems or all about the Opium War? I don't know much about either...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
These are not insults, and they are not about the Chinese people as a whole... Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Had a senior moment?

Let me help you to recall. Here is a collection of what you wrote here:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

The Cold War is over(isn't it?)

23-year-old Chinese man busted for drug smuggling.

Chinese heart surgeon charged with supplying drugs.

I don't believe ProZ.com should be used as a platform for extremist and uncritical views.
I too dislike political wrangles. However I enjoy debate, as long as it is fair and reasonable. This is an off-topic thread after all. (Should ProZ.com have 'off-topic'? What should the purposes of 'off-topic' be?)

No more anti-Western cold-war type extremist and fundamentalist nationalistic rhetoric please!

A local person (a lawyer) here told me that, in his opinion, of the Asians, the old civilisations (Chinese and Japanese) adapt more easily than the newer ones (Korea, Philippines). They come, they look around and just fit in with the local way of doing things - exactly as Angus said. (We are quite a stable and conservative city, not very large - he would have been referring to HK and Taiwan settlers I think). It is not nice to compare though, is it.
估计律师先生还没遇到过大陆来的(少数)'无产阶级黑帮朋友'青年们,骗人,走私(毒品),抢人,杀死自己女朋友(可怕).也有人作假结婚移民为生意. [Kevin’s Translation for the English readers: “(I) assumed that this lawyer had not met those came from the mainland China (minority) ‘proletarian mafia friends ’, the young people, cheaters, smugglers (drugs), robbers, their own girl-friends killers (horrible). There are also those who provide fake-marriage for immigration as business. ]

Lovely! Where is your evidence? Please don't make unsubstantiated remarks. I hope you will not 'just join in the chorus' - we need people who can think!

Take a look at this, another instance where national celebration (Shenzhou) was turned in the direction of national jingoism. It's disappointing.

Your remarks towards me seem to be constantly running down Westerners by association - perhaps you see me as representative of what you most dislike. Or perhaps you see yourself as a hero, defending something. They also look more and more like personal attacks, even distortions and denigration, which is not a good look for a moderator IMO. There is also a certain amount of innuendo, which is a 'dirty tactic' where I come from. Would you like me to elaborate?]

It shows a certain oversensitivity.

We tried to understand...but, it seems opportunistic?

How people choose to respond to the postings is up to them (as always)... What they say and how they say it can tell us a lot.

honest views are 'kicked with steel-capped boots', free speech 'lies bleeding on the ground'...!
jingoism and Chauvinism

people are quick to think the worst of each other, innuendo and slurs are rife

what is this?! '以理服人'不更文明?

honest views are 'kicked with steel-capped boots', free speech 'lies bleeding on the ground'...! people are quick to think the worst of each other, innuendo and slurs are rife. what is this?!

Arrest in 'triad enforcer' murder case

There is no racist or offensive intention in my description of today's news there, for heaven's sake, I am not like that, (otherwise I would be a hypocrite!)

jingoism - I will come back to that in another post. Perhaps it needs to be defined ('chauvinism' in another post caused consternation because of the Marxist dictionaries others were using...)

[Edited at 2006-02-05 02:38]

Thank you Kevin:

1 these are not remarks about the Chinese people as a whole are they?
2 are these comments insulting? I don't think so...who thinks so?

Does Kevin speak for everyone? Perhaps this is just one view? Or the view of one or two 'hardliners'? ...

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Are you looking for the definitions for the following words? Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Sorry, that comment related more specifically to this from Kevin's earlier post: "Whenever I see her, I know it is bad news.", but I couldn't get the 'quote' function to work on a heading...

That remark in particular gives the impression of prejudice, in other words 'prejudgement', that I will not get a fair hearing.That what I have to say will not be met with an open mind... that's not really what we want is it?

Are you looking for the definitions for the following words?

You are welcome to use http://m-w.com/dictionary/

Prejudice: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment -- more at JUDICIAL
1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Prejudgment: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle French prejuger, from Latin praejudicare, from prae- + judicare to judge -- more at JUDGE
: to judge before hearing or before full and sufficient examination

By the way, you wrongly spelled this word as "prejudgement". Be careful with it next time.

Jingoism: noun
: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
'Words I used to describe China and the Chinese people...' Feb 5, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I have answered that question twice already, in that thread and in this thread on Feb 1. I deleted my comments because I felt my contribution looked too dominant. I considered that everything that was relevant was encapsulated in the responses of others.I don't believe that anything significant to the discussion was deleted. I am not going to use that facility in that way again...

Lesley,

Your behavior of deleting your problematic posts in ShenZhou 6 folder is called "hit-and-run". In the real life, it is a crime. Anyone who has the integrity and decency would stand behind what was written and posted. The good news is that many translators including me quoted your messages in our replies and got most of your messages partially saved in our posts. Would you like me to list out the words you used to describe China and the Chinese people?

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-04 02:15]

Yes please list them out. It might be useful for discussion. Better than innuendo...

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
"I don't think so...who thinks so? " Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Thank you Kevin:

1 these are not remarks about the Chinese people as a whole are they?
2 are these comments insulting? I don't think so...who thinks so?

Does Kevin speak for everyone? Perhaps this is just one view? Or the view of one or two 'hardliners'? ...

1. That's you stuff, and you should know better. The translators here can read, too.

2. That's retarded question. When you cannot respect others, you can no repect here. I remember you were asking how low my remarks can go. You answered for me. Here is your quote "I don't think so...who thinks so? "

3. "Does Kevin speak for everyone?"
Where and when I said that? Your imaginary again? I know I always speak for myself, because I always like to use "I" in my writing. As for how the others think, I like to know, too. Actually most of their messages here answered your question already. You just need to read more, and yap less.

However, you could not do as I do, even though I repeatedly reminded you only represent yourself. Instead, you have been constantly using "we" in your writing. Who do you think you are? Please stop using "we".

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-02-05 03:23]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Not second-class citizens... Feb 5, 2006

Angus Woo wrote:

Personally I don't know Lesley that much, but her viewpoint does make me feel uneasy, even resentful. You sound like the Chinese as race is by nature inferior and pernicious. I used to have that feeling while HK was still under the old colonial rule. I bet most HK citizens are not craving the second class citizen status. Trust me.

Anyone who has learned anything about the history of the British Empire (NZ is part of the commonwealth) should have known that THE Royal Family of England, the queen of England to be exact, the role model of all British subjects, the supreme governor of the Church of England, had actually resorted to pirating as a national policy in the 16th century, for it could make the Isle rich again. Of course we all know that this is already history.

However, the first question is: is there anyone who would dare to imply that if the head of that nation once was a pirate, then naturally most subjects of the nation consequently must behave and think like that and most citizens of that nation are born to be criminals?

Criminals don't choose where to be born. Simple as that. The Chinese are not perfect, and so are Caucasians.

Thank you Angus for the fair-minded response.

1 No,I do not think Chinese are by nature inferior and 'what is that word?'I think different cultures do things differently. Both Chinese and British culture undoubtedly have good points. I am quite proud of my British heritage, but I am certainly not proud of some of the things my compatriots do.I think most people would say the same thing about their heritage and their fellow countrymen and women.
2 No, I don't think that anyone would imply that because the British queen supported piracy all her subjects down the ages are pirates. Similarly because the British or Japanese imperialists did this or that in the past, we cannot assume that their descendants are the same today?
3 But I am interested that some Chinese still seem to be in 'Cold War' mode (a hangover from Marxism), or in 'grievance mode' relating to past historical issues.
4 We have had Maori radicals in 'grievance mode' here in the past, so I am familiar with the language, however, we seem to be resolving issues, finding common ground as a nation and moving forward. In the end, 'grievance mode' is not really very constructive.
5 'Success is the best form of revenge', as they say in relationship breakups. You have to pull yourself out of self-pity and make a success of yourself - that's the best thing.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
You call yourself a diplomat? Feb 5, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
I was fortunate enough to enjoy the friendship and hospitality of wonderful Chinese people. I was lucky to be able to do this while I was a student. It would not have been possible later as a diplomat.

At last, I have heard some positive remarks from you about the Chinese people. That's a good step. However, you call yourself a diplomat? Give me a break! You are among the few "native English speakers" here at Proz who often put such rude remarks on other Chinese translators (not on me, though) as “This is bad English!” or “That's chinglish!” which indicate to some extent that you still lack of diplomatic skills. This is also quite different from your British heritage. As to your Chinese language skills, I don't want to hurt your feeling, but I would say that a 6-grade Chinese pupil could write and understand Chinese better, not to mention your "good English"!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To celebrate Chinese New Year...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »